• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

DNA testing to validate ancestry!

lagrima

It wasn't MPD after all!
Can we soon use DNA testing to validate our PL or PL memory if we are actually reincarnated ancestors? :cool

Next week's Newsweek features new genetic DNA testing to determine your true heritage... with surprising results!

For those in the US, there will be a PBS special airing tonight on the same subject.

((Link no longer functions))

FASCINATING!!! :thumbsup:

Lagrima,

DO you have the Newsweek article? Did you see the PBS presentation?

Anyone order the test? I am curious; just so busy lately -no free time to research.

Deborah said:
Lagrima,

DO you have the Newsweek article? Did you see the PBS presentation?

Anyone order the test? I am curious; just so busy lately -no free time to research.

No. I haven't gotten it yet.

I actually taped the PBS presentation, but haven't had the time to watch it yet. I've got it burned to DVD and tivo'd. Now, all I need is timeeeeee.:(

mejensen: That is so neat! How did it go for you? Were you surprised by the outcome? Has it helped your family in documenting their genealogy?

not the kit

Actually the discovery of 30 000 genes not 100 000, in the human genome was surprising.

I participated in the Human Genome Project as a "technologist" in the physical and data analysis aspects of the sequencing at the High Throughput Sequencing Center of the former Molecular Biotechnology Department at the U of WA, one of many centers. I am not certain of the source of the human DNA.

Actually, my uncle is employed by National Geographic. He is known for his discovery of th "Ice Maiden". They supported some sequencing in this area.

I was thinking about taking the new test.

The Nat Geo test is about $100, Family Tree DNA ranges from about $150 to $1000

http://www.familytreedna.com/

This company is involved in surname validation for Y chromosome. Father Sanchez is involved here; he is the guy who found out he had the marker for the Cohanim, or priestly Hebrew ancestry descended from Aaron, because some of his Hispanic ancesters were Ladino, or whatever. I think he has Native American mitochondrial markers on his mothers side.

They have a Jensen start with a few entries I think.

I have a copy of the book and also the DVD by Spencer Wells, called:
"The Journey of Man". Apparently it is included in the kit, ie the DVD.

Actually, I participated in some of the sequencing in the Human Genome Project, and my uncle is an anthropologist, so this is right up my interest alley.

The God Gene :

Maybe this should be in _books_, but this book discusses the Cohanim Y markers in detail and also discusses the Family Tree DNA company significanly. The author is also responsible for the popularization of the notion of the "gay gene".

This book probably has more to do with a "spirituality" gene than a "God" gene.

If I recall correctly, it has to do (ie the gene) with dopamine transport (increasing active level), like some of the current crop of anitdepressants, though most are serotonin reuptake inhibiters, some also target dopamine, like Wellbutrin.

The God Gene : How Faith is Hardwired into our Genes
by Dean H. Hamer
256 pages
Doubleday (September 14, 2004)

ISBN: 0385500580

-Mark:rolleyes:

from a subsequent post:

Here is an article about a gene related to religiosity and/or spirituality. I wonder if it motivates people to seek out past life memories instead of being more complacent about the whole affair?

Faith in God is down to your genes, says Researcher

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/medicalnews.php?newsid=16378

Hamer claims there is a version of the VMAT2 gene that is a ‘God Gene'.
:)

I wonder if it would bring some benefits also to souls that reincarnated the last time many, many years ago.... or maybe not. I think, doesn't the testing depend highly on time? I don't know if all the history can be traced anytime.

Scientific appraoches in analyzing possible PL cases.

lagrima said:
Can we soon use DNA testing to validate our PL or PL memory if we are actually reincarnated ancestors? :cool

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11080815/site/newsweek/

Next week's Newsweek features new genetic DNA testing to determine your true heritage... with surprising results!

For those in the US, there will be a PBS special airing tonight on the same subject.

http://www.fox23.com/entertainment/story.aspx?content_id=6C38A625-C5F4-4D5C-A378-ADE70AE22198

FASCINATING!!! :thumbsup:

Any case studies of DNA testing in analyzing possible past-life memories? I had inquired into the feasibility of MRI scans, high-powered magnifying/micoscopic tools for studying unusual birthmark patterns (patterns which may infer PL injuries).

Speaking of unusual patterns discerned through magnification, how about analyzing finger-marks of wedding-rings worn in possible PLs?

"And yes, unusual marks from tattoos have been discussed in this forum."

genetic proof

I am definitely becoming a believer in DNA validation.
There is a genetic project going on right now based on a book called : The 7 Daughters of Eve.

They have the theory that all of us descended from 7 prehistoric women and you can actually submit your DNA to find out which one you belong to.

Marc Ross said:
...I had inquired into the feasibility of MRI scans, high-powered magnifying/micoscopic tools for studying unusual birthmark patterns (patterns which may infer PL injuries).

I found your post interesting. Birthmarks related to previous lives, seem to be a function of an often violent or untimely death and a quick rebirth. Something as relatively superficial as a birthmark would be shallow compared to a brain with a similar MRI scan!

Anyway, some of Stevensons cases involved missing or withered limbs, or even ears related to trauma in their previous life! So a brain scan could be piercing the veil!

Ian Stevenson and others conjecture that a soul seeking rebirth might have manipulated gene recombination at concenception and also influence gene expression in the development process. Certain genes can be turned on developmentally due to environmental conditions of mother and fetus, research has shown, so why not this also be done by "soul power"?

Thanks! I'm looking forward to being a part of your forum!

mejensen1 said:
I found your post interesting. Birthmarks related to previous lives, seem to be a function of an often violent or untimely death and a quick rebirth. Something as relatively superficial as a birthmark would be shallow compared to a brain with a similar MRI scan!

Anyway, some of Stevensons cases involved missing or withered limbs, or even ears related to trauma in their previous life! So a brain scan could be piercing the veil!

Steveson and others conjecture that a soul seeking rebirth might have manipulated gene recombination at concenception and also influence gene expression in the development process. Certain genes can be turned on developmentally due to environmental conditions of mother and fetus, research has shown, so why not this also be done by "soul power"?

There is a book called "Where Biology and Reincarnation Intersect" it is all case histories from around the world.Babies born with scars,birthmarks like bullet holes etc.

Derbyqueen38 said:
Thanks! I'm looking forward to being a part of your forum!
There is a book called "Where Biology and Reincarnation Intersect" it is all case histories from around the world.Babies born with scars,birthmarks like bullet holes etc.
Where Reincarnation and Biology Intersect (Paperback)
by Ian Stevenson "Children who claim to remember a previous life have been found in most countries where they have been sought..."

Here is a link in Isreal that deals with the Cohen-Levi lineages.

http://cohen-levi.org/

IMO DNA testing wouldn't be effective in determining past lives. DNA works on a physical level with the creation of new bodies (babies). The soul chooses a body to experience in independent of DNA - IMO. I think it is wishful thinking to find any correlation in past life bodies.
Majic

Basically I agree with you.

However, Rabbi Gershom seems to think that some Jews may reincarnate exclusively Jewish, so placing yourself in the line descended from Aaron might be able to contribute to your effectiveness in that community.

The Genetics of Genealogy

Spenser Wells leads the group and is on the DVD in the DNA testing kit from Nat'L Geographic, and I am listening to him at this moment on a local rebroadcast of a show called "Open Source", usually on NPR.

You should be able to get a podcast or streamed mp3 at this link if you are interested.

http://www.radioopensource.org/the-genetics-of-genealogy/

This is a rebroadcast from Feb 7 th.

Also here is a show about "Is God in Our Genes"

"Philosopher Daniel Dennett — a proud atheist in the mold of zoologist Richard Dawkins — wants to understand why religion has such a powerful hold on people. And as a believer in the gospel of Darwin, he looks to evolution to explain why our minds and our culture are gripped by God."

http://www.radioopensource.org/is-god-in-our-genes/

Sub saharan Africa

In the Natioal Geographic, and PBS special(there were a couple different ones) they both say that we are ALL from sub Saharian Africa. If they can trace us all back to that part of Africa in the beginning, then we are all related at some point in time.
Even if all past lives aren't directly related to our family trees in a linear way, I bet a few ARE just from mere family/friend cycling karma.:thumbsup:
I'd love to get tested because I think it would be really interesting, and helpful in questions I have.

the genetic soul

Is it possible that the soul has a genetic component which is carried along from generation to generation? Is there a genetic component to past lives, or is the soul brought into the physical body in a different way? Does the soul continue from lifetime to lifetime or only a portion of the genetic material configured in an all together original way in another lifetime? These are questions which came up in the spiritual healty club I lead in our last session. Are there any books or materials which seek to address this question? Is there any on-going research in the area of genetics and past-lives experiences? I am looking for resources. Love and light, greybear.:thumbsup:

any thoughts or new links?

This is a very interesting thread.

About a year ago, I went through the Genographic Project DNA collection and got my deep ancestry Haplogroup (R1A1) and subsequently found my 12 Markers at Family Tree DNA. I little while ago, I ordered the 13-67 marker upgrade and markers 38-67 arrived yesterday. I also ordered the MTDNA test, and a Deeper Clade test to refine the R1A1 info due in about a month.

Does this sort of thing interest anyone here? Here is a link to upgrades and ordering at Family Tree DNA:

http://www.familytreedna.com/products.aspx

It might actually be a little cheaper if one joins a Family Name project, and then order through them.

OOps this is closer to the link I originally intended to place here but didn't have it at hand!

http://www.worldfamilies.net/usingftdna

That would be very interesting to be part of. I've researched my current father's genealogy back to a person born in 1792 in what is now the Czech Republic. Unfortunately, I don't have any reason to believe I've lived a life as one of my ancestors.

same impetus?

alaskanlaughter said:
That would be very interesting to be part of. I've researched ..., I don't have any reason to believe I've lived a life as one of my ancestors.
I don't think I have had past lives in any of my genetic lines, and never really considered this as having occurred.

However, the feeling of a need for long term continuity may motivate both searches, I might imagine.

Also neurotic or more serious complaints may motivate a past life search, and in my case my feeling of moodiness helps inspire my genetic search as for me to try to understand its origin.

It would be interesting to check DNA results for reincarnation. If you were your ancestor I don't know it it would be of any help, since you'll have to have similar genes (I'm not a scientist so it's just a guess).

What would be even more interesting is to see if your DNA matches someone (or someone's descendants) with whom you and your family are not related at all.

MaritaMari said:
What would be even more interesting is to see if your DNA matches someone (or someone's descendants) with whom you and your family are not related at all.
At the present stage of genetic research, I think it would be a reasonable assumption that DNA, as it is understood today, would not reflect a person's past life in any way or by any known means. Every individual has a distinct profile that is unique only to them, and would reflect similarity only in cases of close familial relationships. Of course, 95% of DNA is regarded as "junk DNA" only because we do not yet know its purpose other than the fact that it seems to be constructed like a language that we are still unable to decipher.

Some theorists, therefore, suggest that this very large portion of our DNA may contain the sum total of our human history; so, perhaps it is possible that in the far future there may be some kind of connection.

Nightrain said:
At the present stage of genetic research, I think it would be a reasonable assumption that DNA, as it is understood today, would not reflect a person's past life in any way or by any known means. Every individual has a distinct profile that is unique only to them, and would reflect similarity only in cases of close familial relationships. Of course, 95% of DNA is regarded as "junk DNA" only because we do not yet know its purpose other than the fact that it seems to be constructed like a language that we are still unable to decipher.
Some theorists, therefore, suggest that this very large portion of our DNA may contain the sum total of our human history; so, perhaps it is possible that in the far future there may be some kind of connection.
Basically the soul is the software and DNA is the hardware. I can install the same software even though one computer is from Dell, whereas later I might get a computer from HP.

Now, Apple computers though...

Delonada said:
Basically the soul is the software and DNA is the hardware. I can install the same software even though one computer is from Dell, whereas later I might get a computer from HP.
Now, Apple computers though...
Nightrain said:
What is interesting is that so many reincarnation researches showed physical similarities of the possible past life connections, like the facial structure, hair and eye color, etc. If those physical attributes do indeed appear from lifetime to lifetime, why wouldn't it be the same with DNA? Even though we might look like our previous selves it doesn't exclude the fact that we might have strong resemblance to our parents and relatives.

MaritaMari said:
If those physical attributes do indeed appear from lifetime to lifetime, why wouldn't it be the same with DNA?
How the physical body reacts to its past life experience and emotional makeup is, indeed, a profound mystery. If we are to believe Dr. Ian Stevenson's cases involving birth defects which relate to past life claims, or even Dr. Walter Semkiw's cases involving similar physical traits, it would certainly seem that something very curious is possibly happening that may be somehow directed by DNA. But, it may be interesting to note that DNA doesn't remain unchanged, itself. In fact, genetic research has discovered that our behavior and habits can cause DNA to change. This being the case, if we accept the theory that one's soul can occupy a new body, then it seem logical to also theorize that the experience of the old soul can also change the DNA of the new body in such a way as to resemble the old body.

It is my belief that the soul can influence various aspects about the foetus as it is making its connection in utero...sort of enhancing some genetic effects while minimizing others. It also seems to me that a soul has characteristic ways of using a human body, so certain tendencies or traits would easily carry over from lifetime to lifetime.

As for genetically validating a prior lifetime, I can see it would be interesting if available, but I find analyzing my connections to other soulmates and my planned purpose for this lifetime a great deal more exciting...my past lives are what got me here and their validity is not in question from my standpoint.

Readily available technologies may also be of help in validating possible Pl connections.

Last edited by a moderator:
In Jeffrey Keene's book Someone Else’s Yesterday, about his PL as General John B. Gordon, he remarks that he thinks DNA could be used to verify PLs. I think that his thoughts about this is because of his resemblance to the general. I thought it was a radical idea since I thought your DNA was more a result of your parent's DNAs.

I do not think that his belief that we always look very similar was accurate and thought to myself that he would not be a very attractive female. He possibly thought of that also because, if I remember correctly, that he did not believe that we changed sex.

I had my DNA tested several years ago at 23andme.com, just for the fun of it. It is a very cool thing and I highly recommend doing it, if you have any interest at all in ancestry/ health/ genetics! I learned so much about myself and my ancestors.

I honestly don't know how that would help in determining past lives because you'd have to know 1. Who you "were" in a past life and 2. What their DNA makeup was, in order to make a connection. If reincarnation is even real (I'm still a bit iffy about it, to be honest).... then it seems like your soul and your body are pretty separate entities and I don't think it's likely that the DNA would match.

KenJ said:
I thought it was a radical idea since I thought your DNA was more a result of your parent's DNAs.
Fact. A person's DNA is an exact combination of 50% mom and 50% dad. This is common scientific fact and easily proved by genetic testing.

MRI scans likely more useful than DNA tests in PL research

Larali: DNA results might not be helpful in research into past-lives.

SEE Post #8: MRI scan results might help narrow-down research of historical records; providing you have a good idea of the region you felt that you PL lived.

Back