• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

Drawn to particular Time Periods

indigo_writer

Just remembered a question: Do any of you/your children experience being drawn to particular time periods?

Mine come from feeling ties to past lives:
Atlantis, Ancient Egypt, Ancient Greece and Rome, and The American Civil War.

I've had many dreams that I could not possible know with such detail and clarity from my experiences in this lifetime. Sometimes I see rememberances/visions of events/experiences in these places. Is that normal or nutty?

Peace be w/you and may you have a safe journey.

indigo_writer

I've always been incredibly drawn to Ancient Egypt, Early Rome, and the Tudor periods, particulaly From late in Henry VIII's reign, to early Elizabeth 1st. I'd love to think there was a reason for this, but as yet, i've experienced nothing to suggest any past lives.

---------
Lerry
xx

I am into the war periods. That is weird because I think war is unneccesary and sad but I am drawn to it for what ever reason.

Personally, I'm 'drawn' to the Middle Ages, Victorian Times, Indian Cultures, and the Holocaust. Do any of you find that you are drawn to certain countries or cultures, as well as time periods?

Jo

------------------
Will I ever get tired of living, breathing, of being alive?

I've been drawn to 1920s through 1950s Argentina, Egypt, the titanic, midevil times, and the civil war

I 've been drawn to Ancient Rome,Egypt the Italian Renaisance, The middle ages in France, Puritan Massachusetts, the revolutionary war, the victorian era in france, WW1, and the 20s through 60s america.

------------------
"Some men see things as they are and say, 'Why?' I dream of things that never were and say, 'Why not?'"

[This message has been edited by White_Rose (edited 04-06-2002).]

While I do not at all doubt your attractions to certain time periods, this is the pinch of doubt that often comes to mind:

Why is it that people are always drawn to time periods that we hear or know the most about? People always feel that they had lives in ancient Egypt, during the Roman empire, Tudor England, Victorian England, Revoltionary France, Civil War or Colonial America. Why never any other of the many thousands of years of history in the hundreds of different locations around the globe. Why do people not feel drawn to San Dynasty China? Or 15th century India or 10th century Mexico? Why does no one think they lived in Denmark during the 19th century or on a Pacific Island during the European Renaissance?

While of course it makes sense that many of us would have had lives during the Roman Empire - we must remember that many of these other periods are not only romanticised by the media but that there are many many more periods of history out there. We also must think that these 'periods' in certain places and times - such as revoltionary France only involved a very very small percent of the population. Europe was heavily populated at the time but if you mention the late 18th century to people they will associate that time with France - if only because its part of our cultural awareness. Perhaps you did live in the time of the Revolution in France (sorry, just using this as an example) but somewhere else - such as Northern Italy - which wasn't at all affected by the events in Paris - until of course, Napoleon came to power...).

I just have to question the vast amount of people who claim to have lived during popular periods - when logically there were larger populations elsewhere and other things going on at the time. It doesnt mean that you didn't have a life then but perhaps if you have a suspcion about something read a bit more about it or keep your mind open to other options or possibilities. Question what it is that makes things seem familiar - is it the style of dress? Is it the events of a time period? (also remember that similar events have ocurred thoughout history in other places). Also if something strikes you emotionally, it may not mean that you lived then necessarily but that you are simply reacting to the events you are learning about as any sympathetic human being would.

My intention is not at all to be pessimistic but rather to offer perhaps a different way of viewing things. We are all trying to find out the truths about our past lives - and this is my personal way of sifting away other possibilities and 'outside interferences' that we all carry in our minds to find that golden nugget of truth.

This is something that´s been bugging
me badly , too. Thanks for bringing it up and putting it so well in words.

Yeah, why is it that so many people claim to have lived in well-known or interesting time periods? I guess maybe it could be because its easier to remember things if you have something to remind you, like sources, pictures etc. Or because they remember being in a particular time, but put themselves in the place that they have been more exposed to in this life. Just my little guess.

Jo

------------------
Will I ever get tired of living, breathing, of being alive?

Its something i've thought alot about as well. But my conclusion is this. People could feel drawn to time periods because they've lived before as someone at that time, or at a time or in a culture similar. The reasons, i think perhaps that not all that many people recall having lives in timbuktu or alaska mid 1200's is simply because they arent documented enough. You may recall a past life lived there, but just do not know enough about it to say that was exactly where and when they lived. I dont recall any past lives whatsoever (more the pity!) but i'd love to think the reason i am so drawn to these periods is because i lived in them, among many others.

--------------
Lerry
xxx

I believe we remember lives in better documented eras because knowing of them can trigger our memories from that time period.I recall lives both during well known periods and less known ones.I've researched the less known ones and found as much or even more authentication than from better documented times.And since someone mentioned why no one remembers living in a less known time like the Song Dynasty I'd like to mention my best life was lived in that era.

We also must remember times like ancient Egypt,the Roman empire, Tudor England, Victorian England, Revoltionary France, Civil War or Colonial America had high %'s of our population alive then.Ancient Egypt lasted for millenia.Anyone who's been reincarnating since the beginning of recorded time should probably recall lives in ancient Greece and Egypt etc. as for several thousand years they were the only heavily populated areas of the world at the time.The roman empire lasted 1000 years and boasted a very large population so probably at least a third to half the world should recall lives then.Alot of people should also recall lives in China and India as they've always had the greatest populations of all. These places probably are most remembered because everyone tends to remember what is more interesting or that they better understand.Remote places such as africa or the phillipines were not as advanced as Rome and Rome could support a larger empire.For about 1/5 of our history rome controlled nearly half the known world and supported the most people(except perhaps china and India).These are considered historic times because there was alot of people and activity going on then.History is made quicker when there are alot of people making it.In more recent times there was alot more history being made because of technology,communications and above all a large population.

I recall lives in all these times and places but I also recall lives lived in more obscure less known eras.In the pre-roman era I recall lives in Egypt,Greece,Turkey,china,india,the middle east,africa and even some native american lives and one in England/ireland.I recall many lives in the roman era but not all were in the roman empire.I also recalled lives in asia and the americas during that time as well.My best series of lives was lived between the years 450-1150AD which is an era in history that is not recorded in great detail.Pretty much all of those lives were in africa,asia and the americas with only one in the middle east and one in europe.The middle ages lasted about 500-1000 years,depending on when you believe they started.It is desputed to be as early as the fall of rome and as late as the 1200's don't know why no one agrees it's really opinion I guess.I'd expect many to recall medieval lives.Perhaps that's why medieval fantasy is so possible now.Most lives recalled are from between 1500 and present because most remember more recent lives.These times are also better documented.

I feel that although we reincarnate across many races there does seem to be some evidence there's a particular area of the world or racial group we prefer.Lives in Europe in historical times are probably most common because most of the history learned about is in Europe because Europe had the most wars etc.Also most of the people who are writing about remembering past lives are in america and ethnically are usually of a european ethnic background so I'd expect more lives in Europe and the americas from a person in america and Europe.In asia where it's more accepted it's not as written about because it's not seen like anything special.

For a good book on statistics about population trends and lives remembered I suggest the book Reliving Past Lives by Helen Wambach.She conducted a massive survey of who was living where in what era of time to see if it matched known population.People often recalled living in socities that were more populated in the times they lived.

------------------
"Doesn't expecting the unexpected make the unexpected the expected?"

while I have a great in interest in Tuder England I have no recollection of having lived in that period. Just because someone is interested in a time period doesn't necessarily mean they have lived through it....

I shrink in horror from the crusades but that is a time period in which I had been regressed to.

I too have wondered about this. I have had no dreams or proof, but I too am drawn to Atlantis, Ancient Rome, Egypt, British Iles,
Elizabethian, American Civil War, Scotland, and Hawaii. I went to Gettysburg as a child and couldn`t get past the negative imprint of the place. Pearl harbor as an adult the same way. But Hawaii to me felt like coming home! I didn`t want to leave. I felt true peace and belonging. I live in Tucson now and had a waking vision of being on a ranch with a GREAT yearning to be there again. As soon as I came to Tucson, I felt I knew it and it was right for me.
Does all this relate to past lives? I have no clue but like to think so!!

J Alfred:

Hi! It must be tragic feeling trapped in a body that you do not want to be in. Sometimes I have looked in the mirror and didn't recognize my own reflection, but as soon as I come to the realization that it is not me that I am looking at, I snap back and see myself and know who I am. Kinda makes my skin crawl...
Let your soul fly. Even if this body is difficult to become accustomed to, you are stuck with it, so let your soul guide you. It may be the right outlet for why you are here now.
Tell me more about how you feel, my thoughts may not be on the same lines at all, just want you to be comfortable with who you are, even if it doesn't seem to fit the way you would like it to.

Take care!

TheAngel

Being drawn to certain time periods...
Atlantis (I think)scientist or seer
....short stint in Rome as a animal handler in a ampitheatre BC,
Travelling christian in desert land somewhere with small whiney child, early AD
Travelling ottoman trader with ox carrying my wares across open plain. ?
Britain in the time of the Roman occupation, I was celtic probably 300 AD ish.
Irish or scottish abbey @ 1000AD I was an abbess.
Hermit woman in the woods ? 1300AD
Another Abbess in Italy 1400Ad
Wench in country inn ?AD
Tutor to LouisIVX's grandsons 1690
Owner of bankrupt mine company in Wales 1700
Daughter of lighthouse keeper 1780
Union officer in civil war 1821-1904
Kid dying in tornado 1909
World War 2 1914-1945 Germany Austria
No great exciting lifetimes with fascinating rich and powerful people.

I am drawn to the 1800's, but I now have memory of the 1890's in Canada in a small town with a railway depot. The trains were all steam, and they were the pride on joy of the people.

I don't think this is a very popular time period/place to claim a past life.

Anyway, my daughter is drawn to nineteenth century things (buildings, antiques, etc.) also.

Marg

Hi there, thank god I found this forum as I thought I was going mad. There are just 2 periods that I'm drawn to and its driving me insane. The fact that I'm convinced that I was a man working in the engine room on the Titanic and I've been saying it since I was a child and the Josean period has me driven nuts I cant get enough of that side of history.

Hi there, thank god I found this forum as I thought I was going mad. There are just 2 periods that I'm drawn to and its driving me insane. The fact that I'm convinced that I was a man working in the engine room on the Titanic and I've been saying it since I was a child and the Josean period has me driven nuts I cant get enough of that side of history.

What do you think or feel about this?

Back