• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

Grigori Rasputin, 100 Years Later

George A.R.

Banned
Does anyone have a recall of this man? Or being him? Today marks, 100 years since his murder. He's been on my mind a lot lately and I've had several dreams about him.

If anyone remembers him, I'm intrigued.

Hi George,

No memory, but I consider him to be one of the most misunderstood men in history, and possibly one of the most slandered and misrepresented. The fun (but grossly inaccurate) "Anastasia" animated movie provides an egregious example.

Cordially,
S&S

PS--Good luck. I'd be interested if you find him.

Ugh that movie. -_- I don't recall him having a pet bat lmao and thanks I do hope to find him. I want to discuss much with him. If I ever find him, I'll let you know.

Rasputin is an interesting character to me too. I just don't get it. Sure, I know that even a stopped clock is right twice a day and I do think the man had, if not "power" the ability to mesmerize one by looking directly into his eyes. I mean really, when you look directly into a person's eyes for just that one beat longer than the norm they feel truly "seen". And let's face it. I don't think that Alix was the best person for Alexei's bedside, even if you couldn't have pried her away with a crowbar.
Let's be honest, that poor woman was echoing her son's every moan in her own soul, mentally castigating herself for being the cause of it all, and just...well...her emotional inner turmoil and anguish could not have been the most calming thing to have at a baby's sickbed. She and Alexei seemed to be two halves of a whole. Helping that suffering child required someone who wasn't so intimately involved, so emotionally torn up. Enter Raspy of the piercing eyes. He truly WAS calm---it really wasn't the life or death anguish for him that it was for poor Alix and Nicky. So was he psychic? On some level I suspect he was, just a little bit...or at least he had a better grasp of and was more attune to what was going on around him---with the emotions swirling within the palace and within the wider world. Of course had he been truly psychic he'd have never gone to that little shindig at Yusupov's would he?
Bah, who can say? Any road, I certainly don't blame the family for supporting him. It's not as if medical care at the time was helping poor Alexei, now was it? And you can ask any mother worthy of the name how she would handle having to hear her baby crying and being drained of life by pain and illness. Rasputin could have walked into the palace in full on drag and wearing a rabbit head mask and, had it been me, I would have welcomed the man with open arms and offered him tea! You save my baby (or appear to) from pain and death and you can believe you'd have undying gratitude!

I see your point although I have much mistrust in the man. Sadly, for Alix she trusted him. Nicky, in turn was trusting the man to heal his ailing son, me. However, a part of me certainly wants to know Felix's end of the story.

I suspect, especially from Nicky's side, that there was also distrust held firmly in check. Alix shut down her doubts to trust Rasputin---it's not as if she felt she had any choice, anyway--- and Nicky let Alix have her head on this one. The rest is rather grim history.

Very true. I gotta get my hands on Lost Splendour. It'll kind of seal some ideas for me. Although many accuse Felix of lying, I doubt he is. Embellishing, maybe a bit but at the core I think his words would be true.

Very true. I gotta get my hands on Lost Splendour. It'll kind of seal some ideas for me. Although many accuse Felix of lying, I doubt he is. Embellishing, maybe a bit but at the core I think his words would be true.

Considering Felix lived for embellishment of all kinds I wouldn't be surprised. And Lost Splendor can be found for free on the AP. I'll private message you the link.

I feel a connection to Rasputin. However, this may be because I feel there is a resemblance to a fictional TV character, not so much physically, but in portrayal of/character development of that character. This is naive, I understand. In a way, however, I can't shake the feeling that it goes beyond that, as I have found out more about Rasputin. I also feel a pull toward the Romanov family. Obviously, there is so much surrounding them in a historical/public context...but still I see pictures of them in their (I think it's the Summer)Palace home, or pictures of the Summer Palace, itself and feel that I recognize it/being in it.
I really don't feel that I was a Romanov or Rasputin, but I do feel drawn to them. I always feel that although Rasputin has been maligned, and I would even agree George A.R., that there is a feeling of distrust toward him, I also feel that he was better than he was portrayed.

I feel a connection to Rasputin. However, this may be because I feel there is a resemblance to a fictional TV character, not so much physically, but in portrayal of/character development of that character. This is naive, I understand. In a way, however, I can't shake the feeling that it goes beyond that, as I have found out more about Rasputin. I also feel a pull toward the Romanov family. Obviously, there is so much surrounding them in a historical/public context...but still I see pictures of them in their (I think it's the Summer)Palace home, or pictures of the Summer Palace, itself and feel that I recognize it/being in it.
I really don't feel that I was a Romanov or Rasputin, but I do feel drawn to them. I always feel that although Rasputin has been maligned, and I would even agree George A.R., that there is a feeling of distrust toward him, I also feel that he was better than he was portrayed.

I'd be interesting in speaking to you more. Perhaps we knew one another.

Back