• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

"Larry King Live" 9:00 PM -James Story

deborah

Director Emerita
Staff member
Super Moderator
The Leininger's will be on "Larry King Live" tonight with Deepak. It's on at 9:00 pm on the East Coast. Let us know what you think!

An informal poll on Larry King's website -

Do you believe in life after death?
Yes 80%

No 20%
His scheduled line up reads -

9:00p.m. 6:00p.m.

Larry King Live:

Is there life after death? Dr. Sanjay Gupta and Deepak Chopra take on the mystery of life after death with special guest host Jeff Probst.

Wish I could watch this, but I'm in the UK. Will have to wait and see if it gets put on Youtube afterwards or something :(

The Larry King clip from last night has made it's way to the CNN.com front page! As of right now, it's the 6th link down on the left column ("Is boy reincarnated WWII pilot?")

My family and I watched the show last night.

To me, the best part of the show was that it wasn't hosted by Larry King. Therefore, the questions were a little more probing. I felt Jeff, the host, followed the discussion well and asked good questions. Actually, he didn't have to do much once Deepak started challenging the obligatory, professional skeptic and sparks flew. That was fun to watch. The whole panel, who have all written books with "Life After Life" in the title made the point that NDE's and past life memories defy traditional explanations. They are at the point where science and spirituality meet. (You must watch the whole discussion when it shows up on a website.)

The Leiningers were not able to tell their whole story, leaving out the most important feature: that they were able to identify who James was in his previous life. So I felt that their case was not as strong as it could have been. Hopefully, people will read the book. James looked very uncomfortable sitting between his parents. He is usually very poised. Chase could relate!

Jim Tucker joined the ranks of MD's and a PhD on the panel and succinctly made some important points about children's memories when asked to comment on the Leininger case. He added some credibility to the discussion, but he didn't have much time.

One surprising statistic was mentioned from the latest Pew poll (I believe it was): that 30% of Catholics (American?) believe in reincarnation. That was interesting.

I hope you get a chance to see the discussion. It was intelligent--for a change!

I felt that Jeff saying that James was a WWII pilot who had returned in the body of a small boy (or something like that) was not a really good way of saying that he was a soul reincarnated as James. It seems to me that people tend to emphasize the past life in a way that almost sounds like we are possessed by the person who we were previously. I think that Deepak was trying to make the point that we are not the same person that we were before and that our consciousness is an ever changing experience - moment to moment, lifetime to lifetime. Unfortunately, Deepak was, to me, ignored when trying to make that distinction.

Hi,

I enjoyed it. It was well done for the most part. It did seem to jump around a lot though and the fact that the three scientists were from a culture that believes in the after life - probably not a convincing factor for most Christians.

Deepak started challenging the obligatory, professional skeptic and sparks flew.
That was interesting. Aili and I saw Deepak's lecture in Calgary -- May 2008. He was so calm, collected and sure of himself. It appeared to me that some things were said off camera that sparked much more than was presented. He seemed irked at best. ;)

Yeah, Jame's case was not fully presented, :butbut: and if I had not been sitting next to my fiance explaining the parts left out he would have no other way of knowing the proof or validations they witnessed. It would have helped if they had some quick graphs during the talk that showed numbers for cases by Ian Stevenson, the specific cultures and religions that believed and a chart to break the silly numbers game the skeptics always bring up. All this should have been laid out pre-conversation. You know - Helen Wambach style.

My 2 cents. It's always good to see this stuff becoming more mainstream though.

I agree with you, Stardis and Deborah, on those points.

It seems that many TV programs that I've seen or participated in about this topic always lead in with a concept that sounds more like possession than reincarnation. It's as if they intentionally make it sound creepy, as if your child needs to be exorcised. Jim made the point that characteristics carry over from one life to another. If he had had the time, he could have expanded on that. I was pleased that Jeff, the host, brought up birthmarks and birth defects can be carried over from one life to another.

There never seems to be enough time for anyone to give a full answer. If only Bill Moyers would do a program on this...

Skeptics always bring up the argument that reincarnation couldn't exist because of the number of souls on earth presently being more than have existed in the past. It was good that the panel had a chance to respond to that.

And I agree, it didn't help that all three panel members were either Indian or Hindu. That weakened the case a bit.

Just like many others I was very curious to watch the program, and find out it is even in Europe visible on the link above! (

So Europeans: Have a look, this one isn't blocked for us! :)

Deborah said:
It appeared to me that some things were said off camera that sparked much more than was presented. He seemed irked at best. ;)
I noticed that too. I wonder if things escalated between Deepak and the skeptic during the commercial break because his body language suddenly suggested that he was irritated, and he began engaging the skeptic very aggressively.
The Leininger story was cut very short. "Life after death" was just too broad of a subject to cover in one hour. This forced the discussion to jump around a lot due to time constraints. I wish they would have expanded this subject over more than one night on the show so they could go into more depth on each topic.

Disappointing, but thrilling

I enjoyed the show because at least it did address the issue and because it was the first time I saw the Leiningers on a live show. I must disagree with Carol about the host, as I personally like Larry King quite a lot and missed his warmth and charm.

Apart from that, I found most of the content rather disappointing. Both the skeptic's contribution, as he clearly was not aware of the evidence in the case of James Leininger and hid behind the (dishonest) cliché that it is no problem to admit that one just 'doesn't know'. And especially Deepak Chopra's contribution as he struck me as overly dominant (even a bit rude) and, worse still, quite inconsistent in what he was saying. However, my main problem with Chopra's position is that he has an Advaita background and does not believe in personal reincarnation. There are many people, including myself, who believe in personalism, and it was not very nice to hear Chopra claim that reincarnation obviously is not personal at all. For me, even the (misleading) skeptic was not as irritating as Chopra in this respect.

James Leininger and his parents did not get the chance to tell the essence of their story.

But apart from all these criticisms, it was still quite a thrill to watch the show.

Titus

Hi Titus,

Great reflections. Thanks for sharing. :) I too was shocked at Chopra's - unbalance - for lack of a better word.

I found this on the blog for James posted by his mother Andrea. She was responding to someone who commented how uncomfortable James appeared in the show - this is why:

Here’s why James seemed unlike his usual self: We did the taping in Baton Rouge, about an hour away from Lafayette. We were in a big, empty studio used to tape newscasts. There was a sound man and a camera woman. We were each given an ear piece and were miked for sound. During the interview itself, we could HEAR the host and the members of the panel, but we had no monitor on which we could SEE anyone.
When we had to answer questions or talk, we just had to stare into the camera and try to look engaging, which was disconcerting even for me. The real trouble was that James’s ear piece wouldn’t stay in his ear, and when it’s not in correctly, you can only hear every other word or so. Because of this he was having trouble keeping up with the conversation.

Anyway, during the cut away, we tried to fix it, but it just didn’t want to stay in. So we told the host, Jeff, that James’s ear piece was malfunctioning and to just keep the questions coming to us because he was only hearing every couple of words. So that’s why James looked irritated – it was the strange set up and the technical snafu!!

Andrea

That explains a lot, Deborah.

By the way, a very happy 2010 to yourself, to Carol, and to all the other great people who keep this forum going.

Titus

Back