• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

Memories

First one was when I was five or so. Dreamed I was on a lake shore. I could hear the lake water lapping on the beach which I could hear were small smooth round stones. There was the dark outline of wooded treetops behind a castle. It was night but bright and I could see a small stone castle on an island. It had a tall tower or chimney and a sloping roof. Light was coming from a window within. I was with two others and we were going to take a wooden boat to the island for a battle. I remember feeling affraid and excited, and we were trying to be quiet. The dream then cut to a bunch of men in kilts doing a dance in a brightly lit place, and it was a celebration. Then it sort of faded and I woke up and I recall feeling very moved, like it was a sad memory but now it was all over and I could never return. I got out of bed that morning and I just sat on the floor looking at the wall, thinking about it. I never forgot this dream. I feel like the dance happened before the raid on the castle. I later (40 years later) found a picture of Loch Dochart castle and it reminds me very much of this memory/dream castle. The dance may have been a sword dance. I much later got the impression I died during this raid, and it was sad because I had been very young and hopeful.

When I was five I was playing with some brand of knock-off lego and the set included a white piece with 3 windows on it. I recall staring at this piece of lego for about 10 minutes thinking it reminded me of a house in the country I had visited. It was a large white house surrounded by green fields with a dirt road running in front, and a dark green wood to its side. The windows were very ornate and they were arched windows with white trim that divided each into 6 or 8 squares. The arch windown was a half circle above the squares and was divided like a half pie by 6 or so diagonal trim peices. I was snapped out of my trance when I was called by my parents to go somewhere. Many years later, but not sure when, I recalled the house had an old women who I loved, and I got there by horse. No idea where it was or when, but somehow think it was Italy or France. Here also I think I died young, but this time it was a fever and the old lady coddled me because I was a sickly child.

I had many dreams as a young child of something striking me in the head causing me to awaken. It started with a baseball, but when I was about 14 I recall a dream of a night attack where I was crawling through mud and my rifle was caked in mud. There was a rampart of mud or dirt ahead of me and I was looking at my rifle. It was an old rifle that only allowed me to load one shot at a time. At age 14 I had no experience with bolt action rifles. I had not seen any war movies, only the old documentaries that were available in the 1980s. This was very vivid. I was trying to load this rifle and shoot at the flashes that were coming from the mud rampart ahead. There were flares in the sky above me. I heard a zinging noise and felt like I was struck in the head and I woke up.

I had some follow on dreams which I believe are related to this one around age 15 or 16. I was in a hilly area with tall straight trees around me, looking down on a dirt road. I was with many others and we had blue uniforms. I had a clear view of the road because the trees had been planted far apart where I was, creating a straight line from the road up the hill quite far up, clear of trees. The ground was covered in dry brown plants of some kind, maybe dried pine needles or something. There was an earthy smell. Looking down I saw men in grey uniforms and steel helmets marching by. I moved and they noticed me and flung a stick grenade at me. Crazily, I kicked it back down the hill and it bounced towards them on its stick handle. They yelled something in German and scattered. The grenade exploded but too soon and did not get anyone. Then we opened fire And so did they. It ended there.

The final what I believe was a connected war dream was an armoury or barracks or fort in a city, it was a building connected with soldiers. I was in my late 20s when I had this dream. The building had a deep stone lined ”moat” around it which was crossed by using a sturdy wooden bridge. The building was made of brick and had large wooden iron bound doors which were opened. I saw a guy in a uniform with a peaked cap, another soldier, coming out and he smiled at me in recognition. I can’t help but feel he was British. This dream ended here.

In my teens I had a dream about what I thought was the ”last voyageur.” A man in brown fur cloths had walked me to the edge of a wood near a river in winter. He had agreed to guide me, and the last part of the dream was watching him go back into the woods, returning to his old way of life. I much later found a place that very much reminded me of this dream place, and was part of the voyageurs trail.

Also in my teens I dreamed of being enraged that red uniform wearing British were riding through Paris past the Arc de Triomphe. I recall waking up and laughing at the anger I had felt in the dream. I was also laughing because I had been hurling some very crazy slurs at them as they rode past, but I can‘t recall. It was something weird like “son of a sausage.“ They had just rode on arrogantly, ramrod straight on their horses. Much later I found out that the British had occupied Paris after Napoleon was defeated, and the arch they rode past was La Porte Sainte Martin.

The only other one I recall was standing on a field at sunrise, and the guy in front of me was wearing very old style clothes. I was in my 30s when I had this brief trance/daydream. He had on woolen hose, a doublet and hat I later found out was called a chaperon. His shoes were poulains. The sun was shining in my eyes and I could not make out the colours.

Last edited:
Hi @PastLivesDiscussions,
Welcome to the forum!

That was an interesting read. I guess you already did some research on your memories?
Over the years I would remember the dream and start to look up ”castles on lakes in Scotland,” or “did the British ever occupy Paris?” I found out that Loch Dochart Castle belonged to the Campbells was raided by the MacNab Clan and burned down in 1646 according to an obscure piece of literature called The Black Book of Taymouth. There was a civil war at this time between Scottish Royalists and Covenanters. I do not recall these details from the dream. I have no genetic connection to the MacNabs that I know of, so not sure if the castle was Loch Dochart castle, or if this was the raid in question. So many things have happened in history that are never written down…maybe it was an earlier failed raid that took place before the successful one in 1646. Also, the MacNab raid was said to have happened in winter, and they walked across the ice, rather than boated across. For the other memories, the details seem too scant to enable any real research. There does seem to be a French theme in many of these dreams, although genetically I have only one branch in my family tree with a French lineage. I have been interested in the French language since I was very young, and took French in school every year until university, but did not become proficient until my 20s.

Last edited:
Welcome @PastLivesDiscussions I just wanted to say that this line really stood out for me; I've experienced similar, a deep sadness waking from a PL dream, knowing that I could never go back.
It stayed with me all these years. Who knows if my mind is inventing details now. But the gist of what I wrote was in the dream. I was only 5, but it was very vivid and detailed, and seemingly beyond my life experience at that point. There was no internet and I had few channels to watch on television. One other detail that I did not mention was that the place where the dance was happening was very colourful and there were shields on the wall painted with symbols. One was black and yellow, and it stands out in my mind but I cannot recall the design.

Hi PastLives,

All interesting memories and points. Having a daughter who was a Highland Dancing competitor, I have watched many a sword dance in my day. These days, at least in the U.S., this dance is overwhelmingly being performed by young girls and young women rather than warriors preparing for battle, but the history is still there. The penalty for touching a blade of the crossed swords during the dance now is merely loss of points rather than the somber knowledge that your death may be before you, but I never watched them without having a thought for the origins of the dance cross my mind, and the many brave Scots who performed this dance before battle.

Cordially,
S&S

PS--Your memories make me think you may be a warrior soul, one who always or mostly comes back to the life of a soldier or something similar. This may not be true, but you may still find the thread on General Patton interesting, especially the poem he wrote about his own past lives.

Back