• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

Strange Feeling When I Wake Up

Red Night

Senior Registered
I'm not exactly sure what causes it, or even how to explain it really, but at times I get washed over with this incredible feeling of... I wouldn't say awe, but curiosity at where I am right after waking up. I look at the walls and objects around me and even myself and it seems like I'm completely separated from all of it. I think "Wow, this all actually real. How does any of this exist?" It's just so weird! Like a "oh, here I am again" type of feeling. Everything seems so clear in that moment...
Does this happen to anyone else? It's such a funny feeling, but somewhat calming too! What do you think causes it?
I know some people say we leave our bodies when we sleep, so maybe that has something to do with it.

Goodmorning Red Night...

Sometimes I wake up and don't know where I am...it takes me a few seconds to "come back!" I have to think really hard. In my life I have had about 5 experiences with out of body dreams, but they have nothing to do with this feeling of being lost right after waking. I fully understand what you are talking about!

Yes, I can identify with that feeling, too. Other times, I've woken feeling a surreal sense of resignation, loss, and profound sadness. I've had tears in my eyes. I'm certain that at such times I've been re-visiting people and/or events from previous lives, to whom I'm still emotionally tied on a spiritual level, but as I lay there trying to recall my "dream," all I can see in my mind are shadowy grey figures against a formless background. I would add that, in addition to the emotions described above, I also feel a wonderful sense of calm and tranquility, as though what I've experienced in the sleeping state has been some kind of necessary catharsis. Doesn't happen often, but, when it does, it's deeply emotional..

Wow! As Red Night said, glad that I am not alone. Also do know what people are saying. I personally for whatever it might be worth am a 'Deep' Sleeper also with all kinds of dreams in my dream life. There have been times when waking up or after some period of relaxation and resting that like others, that woke up out of sorts it seems or out of the present reality so to speak in which it took several seconds in which to come back to the present reality and things. It is like I waking up and in a fog so to speak sometimes and again it takes several seconds to come back into present day reality and everything. At times also when this has happened, can not even remember what day or year or time it is it seems. Like others this does not happen all the time but only every so now and then. Very Interesting! Never have thought much of this but it will be interesting what others have to say.

AP/OOBE Incident

I know for a fact that I have experienced "Astral Projection (AP)" or "Out of Body Experience (OOBE)" in the past that was personally validated by me by information collected by me while in an "AP or OOBE" state and later borne out to be true.

One notable incident took place one night and later, upon awakening, I thought it was just an instance of "Lucid Dreaming (LD)" but as it turns out, it was a true instance of AP or OOBE because it was personally validated by another person without any coaching or prodding.

I went to bed that night and sometime during the night had an AP or OOBE incident where I found myself at my friends new house he had recently moved to, and in the incident, I found myself standing in the upstairs hallway just outside of his young Son's Bedroom.

His young Son, who was Eight at the time, and who had never been scared of me, invited me in to look at his new dresser that his Father had bought him for his Bedroom and he was very proud of it and I remember in the incident commenting favorably on it's nice appearance.

I remember sitting down on the edge of his bed (a water bed, I remember) and we talked, and as he had taken a liking towards me, we talked about anything and everything, and BTW the Boy (who suffered from ADD) behaved exceptionally well whenever I visited, a fact that was not lost on his amused Father.

Sometime during the conversation, I became very tired and remember laying back on the bed and resting while the Boy amused himself on his computer at his desk and that's the end of what I can remember and then later on I woke up from my actual sleep in my own house.

As it turned out, I was visiting the Father and Son that very same day and upon arriving at their house, the young Son invited me upstairs to look at his new DRESSER and his room was identical to what I remembered in the AP or OOBE incident the night before.

However it gets better, while sitting on the waterbed and he at his desk again, he turned to me and asked me, without any prompting or prodding, was I the man who visited last night and fell asleep on the waterbed, now at the time, I DID NOT KNOW that he had a waterbed, but learned of it during the AP or OOBE and it too was borne out the next day because I sat on the bed and yes, it was a waterbed.

I probably presented NO evidence that would convince a scientist or skeptic, but for me, this evidence convinced me beyond ANY doubt that it actually did happen that night, many years ago.

As for his Son, he might take up a career in the Navy, but in the meantime, he is a highly trained, certified Mechanic in his own right and one day may own his own shop, so all in all, he turned out rather well and if asked, it would have been an honor to have him as a "Godson"!!!

I know a 75 year old woman who says she has been able to Astral Project since childhood. She doesn't tell this to very many people.

argonne1918 said:
I know a 75 year old woman who says she has been able to Astral Project since childhood. She doesn't tell this to very many people.
I would love to hear some of her experiences :)

Hydrolad,

That is really interesting, especially how you were able to have a conversation with him and he was not scared.

To Mama2HRB (and others)

The more I thought about it, the more I realized that my Friend's Son (and perhaps even my Friend) may have shared a lifetime together in the past, stranger things have happened.

We were so relaxed around each other and there was no stress or hidden agenda's amongst us, it was almost like we had spent time together before this life.

To this day, the Father is still my Friend, however he still works for the FD in their Dispatch center and I'm retired now, so we don't see each other a lot, as for the Son, I don't know if he's joining the Navy or is working as a Mechanic, I'll have to ask :)

I'm glad to find there are more persons who have experienced astral project or OBE, as I've been having some strange experiences lately and I've been doing some research, so I think I could share what I've found out with you, as it's my opinion that more and more people are going to experience the same in the next months.

I've been doing meditation for over a year now. I don't know if it's a result of that, but in the past few months I started to have more lucid dreams. I was lucky enough to find a woman who was writing a book about astral journeys, and she directed me to a group of serious people who do astral journeys consciously and really know what this is all about (be careful if you research this in the internet, because there is a lot of myths).

One of these persons told me the basics and answered some of my questions. This person had been experiencing this since he was a child, but of course he didn't know what it was, he was quite afraid, he asked a priest and you can imagine what he said: "things of the devil" and that kind of stuff. Later in time he could find his answers and though he's been practising for more than 10 years now, he's still learning how to control it. What I've learned so far is:

- All of us leave our bodies when we sleep, but usually we're not conscious.

- When we're conscious of this astral projection, we'll have a lucid dream, with different "levels" of lucidity. When you're totally conscious maybe you reach a 70 % of lucidity.

- There are some techniques you can learn to be aware of the whole process of how you leave your body and how you find yourself in the astral plane, out of your body. The most important are concentration and meditation techniques. It's not easy to reach this point as usually we're too worried or too tired and we quickly lose consciusness when we fall asleep.

- If you can concentrate enough you'll feel some of these symptoms (this happens when you're about to get asleep): kind of vibration in all your body, a humming or buzzing on one or two ears, sometimes loud and unpleasant noises in your ears, a great "lightness" as if you're lifting from your body, or the opposite, as if your body weighs a lot and you feel as if you're falling.

- If you can pass this point, next thing you'll probably be out of your body. Sometimes you go to sleep but suddenly you wake up and you're standing in the middle of the room. To confirm you're indeed out of your body, the best thing you can do is to look at your physical body and try not to be scared, because if you feel scared you'll return immediataly to your body. Then you can look at yourself and you'll see your hands as with a bluish or violet reflection. Some people also get to see the silver cord, an energy thread that joins the physical body with your astral body.

- Sometimes all you'll see is darkness around you and you don't know how to move. This is because your level of conciousness is still low. You'll return to your body and probably think it was only a dream.

- Some people see some dark and strange figures and get scared. No need to. These black figures are creation of your mind, of your own fear. As soon as you ignore them, you can elevate your vibration and they'll disappear. Remember: have no fear.

- It's also important to have good intentions, as you'll find beings with your same "vibration". If you go with bad intentions, you'll lose the ability of doing astral projection.

- Myth: it's dangerous because you can get lost and remain in the astral plane forever. This is false: it's quite easier to return to your body than to remain out of it. Astral projections, when you're a beginner, end long before you wish.

- Myth: there are bad entities who can possess your body. That is false: your body is yours and nobody can do that.

- Myth: the silver cord can break and you can die while you're out of your body. That is false: the silver cord is energy, is like a ray of sunlight, it's unbreakable. Unless your physical body dies while you're sleeping, it won't break.

Hope this helps! ;)

PS: OBE's are very common among people who suffer NDE's. I don't know how it is in other countries, but in Spain "scientists" (psychiatrists who study NDE's) keep saying astral projections are not OBE's, and they say the word "pseudoscience" when people who do them consciously talk about them. Can someone tell me why? :confused:

I can't answer your question, Eowyn, but I think from your descriptions, I recently experienced an OBE. At the time, I thought it was one of those odd "real time" dreams. Does anyone else have these? You are wandering through your own house in the dream, in the dark, in your pj's? In this particular experience, I wandered into my living room. It was dark, and my oldest daughter and her husband were sitting on the sofa. They looked so happy, although I did wonder why they didn't switch on a lamp. My daughter was as radiant as she was at their wedding. FYI -her husband died seven years ago. I think that he went to her house, she came out of her body to be with him, and the two of them traveled sixty-five miles to my living room, where I casually got out of body (and bed) to join them! I remember feeling so happy they were together. I thought "I'll let them have some privacy," and went back to "body" and bed. Does anyone else think these "real time" dreams are OBE's? It seems with a universe to wander, I might be a little more adventurous! Thank you for posting, Eowyn. You helped me figure it out. By the way, you mentioned worry being an obstacle to meditation. I use a technique learned from a John Edwards book. I imagine a bottomless trunk, sitting by the gates of my meditation "destination". I open it, dump in all the mental excrement I've been carrying around, slam the lid shut, and lock it. Thank you John Edwards!

Years ago, when I was trying one of those past life regression cd's, I can't remember which one it was, but after some time, I gradually became 'ultra' aware of my body. My arms were resting on the arms of my chair, and my body just felt so huge, and almost like a huge receptacle that I was enclosed in. My arms and legs also felt extremely heavy like it would take an enormous amount of effort to lift either of them. Next thing, I was standing close to the door of my living room. I don't recall looking back and seeing my body still sitting in the chair, but I do remember walking slowly towards the door until the tip of my nose was almost touching it. Then slowly I moved further forward, and my face went through the door and I was looking down the hallway towards the front door! I can't describe how this experience made me feel, it wasn't a shock, maybe surprise? Whatever it was, it was enough to pull me back into my body because the next thing I was back sitting in my chair with my headphones still on.

I've also posted elsewhere in the forum that often, when I'm just about to drift off to sleep in bed at night, although my eyes are closed, I can see as clearly as if they were open. It's like I can literally look at my surroundings in perfect detail through my closed eyelids! I don't know if anybody else has experienced this, but it happens to me regularly, almost as if my physical body is falling asleep, but my 'essence' (or whatever you like to call it) is wide awake and fully alert.

Great experiences, BriarRose and ChrisR!

Yes, that "real time" dream could have been an OBE, BriarRose. I forgot to mention another sign is that you see everything as surrounded by a special light. You can see the same objects as you see them in the physical plane, but it's as if you see the "energy" they are made of. Of course you can go through the walls and everything solid. And I've heard many people say they find themselves wandering around the house just like you described. Thank you for your advice to medidate, I'll try it!

ChrisR, what you describe is another of the symptoms of OBE, and then the astral projection, it's so very clear! What you say about your eyes is also what happens when you're leaving your body. I couldn't have said it better. I've read that the "soul" is more tightly linked with the body at the head, that's why it's harder to separate that part, you may find that your hand or arm is already out but you keep joined by the head... cover face

The key of all this is that you leave your body sleeping but you don't lose consciousness, you keep being awake and fully alert, as you say. That's why concentration and meditation (relax) helps a lot, your learn to focus in your mind and if you can concentrate enough and are not afraid of the symptoms (which of course is quite difficult), you just leave your body almost without realizing it. Then you have to learn to move with a different body, it's all in your mind not in the muscles. They say that you only have to think of a person or a place and you're instantly will be there.

Unfortunately my own experiences are still short. I hope that will change in the near future!

That's interesting about the "real-time" dreams. I think this has probably happened to a lot of people, but I remember one time when I was about... eight or nine and my mom woke me up to go to school. I got up, went into the bathroom and turned on the shower and stood under the hot water.

"Come on, get up, you have to go to school!"

"I am up..." Then I realized I was still lying in bed. haha It was like my soul got up but forgot to take my body with it!

Now what a Great and Interesting Thread. Thankyou Everyone!

Also with myself, I often have little snippets, like am outside the body for just a few seconds, where I see everything and everyone and including my thoughts and all that is happening outside of myself! Have had these out of the body snippets since little. Have been thru the years working with this and expanding these snippets and the awareness that comes of this.

And also consciously have been able to as of late, in meditation and quiet times, seemingly able to place myself onto some different place like some peak or ridge and high point and see the view of things from that place but also while in my quiet conscious place physically. Hard to put into words.

This to me is I guess in the realm of out of body experiences and projections. Am have been personally working on this as of late. To me what I experience and what this thread talks about is all related. We are all spiritual beings living in the physical world. Great Thread! Yes Chris, do know what you are talking about when in bed and about to go to sleep. Yes Eowyn, it is so much with the mind and the inner spiritual self. On another topic is communicating or trying to communicate with the various animals like for myself with the various animals in my wilderness wandering sojourns. For myself this is hard to put into words. But how powerful, (what is the right word here ?), is our spiritual inner selves.

Wishing Everyone the Best!

kmatjhwy, You bring something to this forum that no one else does. That is so amazing, that you can project your spirit to a peak, to observe, and commune with the spirits of animals. I would be speechless, if that were possible for me! lol Have you been a shaman in past lives, or practiced the "shamanic" way in this one?

BriarRose, Yes I do personally think and deeply believe that in various past lives (like in some of my Native American Past Lives) that I have been a so called 'Shaman'. But I hardly ever mention this to others. And for myself have thought, how do I bring this knowledge of this, from that life into this one.

Also a Psychic also said in a past life as a Native American Woman, I had a real ability to communicate with the animals. And with all the animals in my wilderness wanderings, including the wild Grizzlies and Wolves or even that squirrel in my camp, to somehow work on this in communicating with them. In long wilderness journeys all the animals do become such companions so to speak.

No in this life I have never been a Shaman or a Psychic, but have been interested in such and do know that I do have 'abilities' so to speak. And as I get older, to somehow bring more of these abilities to the surface. Think we all do have these 'abilities' do think to some degree.

I think it speaks highly of you as a person, to keep your Pls as a shaman somewhat private. Your "path" is so different to mine, and I think that is why I find it so refreshing, and intriguing.

I agree with BriarRose, your path is refreshing kmartjhwy. You seem to have had a very spiritual and pure past; it's nice. I feel like I've been spoiled by Western civilization in the majority of my recent lives and wish I could have some of the experience and enlightenment you seem to have under your belt.

Red Night, You've started on your path "early". Hopefully, you have the luxury of time to have a lot of experiences in nature, and the "enlightenment" you speak of will come. Since most of us will have "future" lives, I guess we all do! A belief in reincarnation certainly changes our perspective on "time", but that is a subject for another thread!

Thanks for your comments. But we each have our own paths and we each have our own gifts given to us from the Creator and the Spirit. All of us are such Gifted Individuals and are 'Special'. And it is always a better world with all of us together and sharing our individual gifts. And Yes BriarRose with a belief in Reincarnation, how much does it change our perspective on things.

As for that wilderness and wild country, it is out there and anyone with the time can go back into that country. I personally encourage everyone when possible to go for good walkabouts out in the natural environs and wild areas. I personally think it does everyone good when they can put things aside and just be by their lonesome for awhile in someplace wild and natural.

Just my two cents worth.

As for that wilderness and wild country, it is out there and anyone with the time can go back into that country. I personally encourage everyone when possible to go for good walkabouts out in the natural environs and wild areas. I personally think it does everyone good when they can put things aside and just be by their lonesome for awhile in someplace wild and natural.
I very much agree with that. Though I do believe, like I said, I've had very "Western" lives recently, I do have an extremely strong connection to nature. I think it's the best way to cleanse yourself. It's so peaceful and free... It's really the only time you be alone without feeling alone at all; nature and wildlife can often prove to be better company than our fellow man.

Also, I do believe nature has been something important to me for many lifetimes, it's just that it's something that's always been a refuge for me; I've rarely been surrounded by it day in and day out though.

Yes , this happened to me many times before.

I have a real fear, I will wake up to one past lifes.

And this might be future life? It sounds weird.

Back