• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

What form of Spirituality, if any, do you practice?

SeaAndSky

Senior Registered
I'm really curious on this one, and realized that we had a thread where people could say what country they were from, etc., but no thread where they could "out" themselves in terms of their own spiritual practices and beliefs. So, I thought I would start this one.

I'll start out with my own "spiritual biography" about where I've been and where I am so you'll know where I am coming from on this. I'm actually cheating on this, as I just stole this summary off of another thread and revised it for posting here:

I came of age at an earlier time (1960s) in a small Southern city in a small Anglican church. My access to resources and knowledge of the esoteric was very limited indeed, though I believe I always had a drawing to such things. Hence, it wasn’t until I was able to begin visiting our downtown library at 12 (c. 1965), that I discovered Theosophy. It immediately resonated with me. It supplied an idea of meditation, psychic development/evolution, and the psychic structure of the universe and the planes of existence that I had felt as a void (without knowing what was missing) in my Christian background. However, it wasn’t long before I found Theosophy lacking in . . . . something, as well as seeming a bit off base. I found more of what I was looking for in Yoga, and worked on Hatha Yoga using books that began to become available in the late 60s, while longing for some path to serious meditational/contemplative practices. I became familiar with Kriya Yoga through reading “Autobiography of a Yogi” (which I really liked) several times, but there was no internet and no access in my area to this form of Yoga, though TM became popular and accessible in the early 70s. So, I began on that path and continued with my interest in all things “Eastern” including the martial arts and Zen.

Still, I found something lacking, and also felt in some secret recess like I had abandoned by first true love and a great hope. I returned to Christ and have explored Christian Mysticism and spirituality for more than 30 years at this point, but here “the center could not hold”—not because Christ was insufficient, but because I ultimately decided that the theological structure built on the basis of his teachings was deficient and/or “off center” in a variety of ways. So, I’m back in the exploration business, but definitely not abandoning my Lord in the process. I am a Christian in the sense that I am his follower and He is my Lord, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that I am always in agreement with current Christian doctrine and theology, which I consider to be man-made constructs and hence subject to error.

So, I'm back in church and exploring all kinds of things in my spare time, but unfortunately don't have time to get into anything in any depth (at least until I can ever retire). In the meantime, my interests tend to be on Western occult topics and groups rather than Eastern studies. But no time, plus I'm in serious stealth mode in terms of my family environment (which is very religiously conservative)!

Now your turn! Are you a Vedantist who dabbles in astrology? A Wiccan who likes to read romantic poetry and plays the bongos? Maybe a Buddhist who still goes to Catholic Mass? A Christian like me who is trying to figure out how to fit it all together? There are all kinds of folks on this board, but you won't find out unless you talk to them, so here is a place to say what makes you "go" in the spiritual sense and learn from others about how they do the same thing.

Cordially,
S&S

I was brought up catholic and still to this day seem to hold on to some of the catholic beliefs though I tend to mix it with my beliefs in wicca and interest in psychic powers. Though I was brought up catholic I was never church going though I have nothing against christianity or any religion for that matter. Actually I can't stand religious discrimination. As a young kid the Christian belief that when it's your time to die God takes your soul use to scare me. That and the belief that you can't see your love ones again in the afterlife until you die yourself also scared me since I lost my grandma at a young age. Because of this when I learned about reincarnation when learning about other beliefs in middle school gave me a sense of comfort that I may see my grandma again though as another person. Also it's nice to think that after I die I may get to live again as another person in another time and place. A little later while in high school I discovered wicca while reading a library book about witches. I found it interesting that they believe in psychic powers and stuff like that since I have always had an interest in that kind of stuff but the Christian beliefs find psychic powers evil. Personally I see psychic powers as neither good or bad in themself but depends on how the person uses them and I always wanted to use what psychic abilities I have for good. Well that's my experience with religion.

I was brought up catholic and went through various Christian churches over my life time. There are things I like about it and other religions and I may have just stuck with it from time to time out of comfort.

These days, I'm firmly agnostic and I casually call myself a Sikh. I guess I may have found my way back to it, two lifetimes later, but at its core, it's an agnostic religion and I've always practiced it's central tenants anyway as part of my own personal belief system.

I had gifts at a young age that I turned off out of fear. Over time they slowly came back. I'm not sure how early in my life I prayed, but I would pray at a very young age. It wasn't until later that I started listening to my prayers and had a desire to change it from a monotonous checklist to active participation. In 2008 I had three dreams that really woke me back up. Almost 12 years later I received some answers to those dreams, one answer being defined as an initiation from what other cultures call the peacock angel. I don't ascribe my spirituality to any one religion. I have learned and believe that every soul has its own religion. My journey is described as discovery and gratitude on a deeper level and again an active participation. Discovery and desire for awareness and understanding. It was from a dream that I learned, "I Am Sufi." I am not Sufi in a traditional sense, I do not feel a belonging or a sense of owing to their tradition. I am a mystic who was lead to the teachings of Hazrat Inayat Khan- his mission was in bringing active mysticism to the West. Sufism as he describes it is not a religion but if it is- he ask that we describe it as a religion of the heart. Because I am discovering answers through unseen communication I believe in a Living Spirit.
Todays wisdom by Hazrat Inayat Khan eloquently explains the journey and practice that I believe in....
Commentary by Pir-o-Murshid Inayat Khan:

If one would realize that the world of God, His splendor and magnificence, are to be seen in the wise and the foolish, in the good and the bad, then one would think tolerantly and reverently of all mankind ... But man has ignored the divine spirit that manifests in humanity, and always prefers an idol, a painting, a picture, to the living God who is constantly before him. For the sage, the seer, the saint, and the yogi who begin to see the master, and see him living, there is no place where he cannot be seen. Then everywhere the beloved master is ready to answer the cry of the soul coming from friend, father or teacher. And if we go a little further forward, we will find that the teacher speaks aloud, not only through living beings, but through nature. If the eyes and ears are open, the leaves of the trees become as pages of the Bible. If the heart is alive, the whole life becomes one single vision of His sublime beauty, speaking to us at every moment.

from https://wahiduddin.net/mv2/IX/IX_29.htm

All occult powers belong to the divine life, but man should live a natural life and realize the nature of God. The only studies which are worth accomplishing are those which lead to the realization of God, and of unity first with God and then with the self, and so with all. It is not necessary for us to be told that we have progressed; we ourselves will know when our hearts go forward; and by loving, forgiving, and serving, our whole life becomes one single vision of the sublime beauty of God.

from https://wahiduddin.net/mv2/IX/IX_1.htm
https://wahiduddin.net/saki/saki_date.php

It would seem the Living Spirit moves through every religion or creed, and every soul has a unique relationship with this intelligence. Even if they themselves don't care to understand it, to me it is inseparable.

Hi Tanker,

It is always good to talk to another old-timer about these things. The world is so different now than it was 50 years ago. I think there are a lot of people now who cannot really remember, or even imagine a world without computers or internet. Almost anyone in history can say that the world has changed after 50 years, but I think that since around 1850 it is not just the previously normative changes, but mega-change that we face in such spans.

Anyhow, we probably are a lot alike except that I am continually striving to find a way to put everything together into a comprehensive philosophy, theology, etc. It keeps me ever restless and searching, probably when I should be more like you and just "let it be" as the old Beatle's song goes.

Cordially,
S&S

PS--That is a wonderful lyric--"Mother Mary comes to me and whispers words of wisdom, let it be, let it be . . ."

Hi Galaxy,

My "extra-curricular" spiritual interests outside of Christianity are also generally in the Western esoteric tradition, which includes magic and mysticism. So, I am more of a traditionalist when it comes to magic (or Magick if preferred). Consequently, Wicca seems a bit new-fangled to me. Likewise, I am concerned that the level of initiatory teaching, training and testing associated with the more ancient forms is lacking in some of the new groups being founded, which can lead to people getting over their heads and also getting entangled with beings and entities adverse to their best interests. (This is not an accusation against Wicca, but it is worth noting that the rate of exorcisms being requested/performed has been skyrocketing over the last 20-30 years, so their can be some dangers to be aware of). Nonetheless, Wicca seems to interest and satisfy a lot of folks at this point in time, but please be careful.

Cordially,
S&S

PS--If I had the chance to be involved with anything of this type at my age, I would probably opt for the groups founded by and associated with Dion Fortune, who was an extremely prominent figure in the field of magic in the first half of the last century, and continues to have an enduring influence. Quite a bit of info is available online. Even there I would move with extreme caution. Magic and psychic phenomena generally can be a lot like flying a plane--cool, mind expanding, sometimes exhilarating, but potentially dangerous, especially if you aren't highly trained and/or cautious.

Hi Totoro,

I have an overall positive impression of Sikhism, but I'm kind of surprised that you are not also attracted to some of the Chinese currents of spirituality as well given your background, especially Taoism. I always liked Taoism, at least to the extent I have been exposed to it--which was mostly during my Zen and martial arts period. My exposure has not been great compared to some, but it was enough for me to be really impressed with the depth there.

Cordially,
S&S

Hey S&S.. I am actually pretty Taoist actually.. I don't know why I didn't mention it. Sikhism to me guides my daily life, what I am in control of and also acknowledges the finite limit to my understanding of the universe. The main thing to me though, is that it emphasizes reincarnation and that we are a part of a spiritual existence and we were not created or exist to simply validate another entities ego; we are the product of creation, creation exists for us to experience it, ultimately.

The tao on the other hand, gives me insight into what I don't have control over or understand. This is quite analogous to the Christian idea that while I may control the boat, the rudder or till, it is God or the universe who provides the wind in its sails. I often consult the i ching almost daily as I feel it's a good outlet for my talent for bibliomancy.

Hi Totoro,

I thought you must be, especially given the Chinese background and martial arts interests! That is one of the reasons I was somewhat surprised you didn't specifically mention Taoism.

Also, I'm curious about what you mean by biliomancy in this context and how it relates to the I Ching.

Cordially,
S&S

Hi Cloud,

I sense a lot of depth in terms of the things you've said, but I have no experience with Sufism, which makes me feel even more out of my depth in responding (and also leads to a very short response). However, you have encouraged me to explore the links you have provided and learn more. Thanks!

Cordially,
S&S

Personally for me it is just about finding real truth that isn't wrapped up behind some system or another as ultimately such systems always end up distorting the truth even it had not been intentional at first it always degrades as time goes on with the modern church one of the most obvious examples. All in all I want to move on elsewhere in creation and experience spirituality as it exists elsewhere where there is greater depth and purity.

On the side one can look into regressions and channelings where information is brought up as some of it can be very telling of what is really on the other side vs what people are left to try and figure out in this world.

I grew up Methodist and I currently work for one of said churches. Real talk though, I can't call myself religious at this point. I genuinely do appreciate the sense of family and community religion can bring, which is part of why I chose to work in the church I grew up in. Those people essentially raised me in a pretty literal sense.

I have no problem with God, but I don't always agree with how religion portrays God. That's a rant for another time though and it may not be appropriate to post it here.

My whole life I've had questions that no religion could ever answer. I've always had one foot in the spirit world and it never scared me or anything, but it always left the door open for me to keep asking questions. Over time, what I thought I knew stopped making sense once I got glimpses of a much bigger picture. I figured if I wanted real answers, I'd have to find them on my own.

My current belief system is a mix of things. A little bit of astrology, Buddhism, a little bit of Wicca (not so much magick, but the power of nature), etc. I used a number of Buddhist techniques to open that spiritual door a little bit more before I closed it again.

I'm a half baked psychic trying to figure life out, I guess.

Last edited:
One way to look it all as being stepping stones each contributing something to a larger picture however the problems begin where we get locked in and it all goes down hill from there. With some regret looking back when it comes to the modern church realizing I've like so many in the world have been hoodwinked hook line and sinker with a lessor version of the truth though the fault was never with God nor the first church it is what we get today is what is faulty. Simply put the wrong sort got their way by removing what didn't suit them be it for political reasons or personal while a lot of other things were simply lost to time. I do wish for there to be something more than what is on the table these days so to speak but deep down such needs are likely to not be meet as such just doesn't exist anymore at least not here anyway.

In practice, some meditation, some prayer, some attention to dreams, and to synchronicity. Influences include buddhism, zen, tao, jung, miscellaneous psychiatrists, out-of-body explorers, near-death experiencers, past lives.

What I learned from practising OBEs was a grounding in meditation which is able to bring me peace and calm, very much self-taught. Momentum from past lives carried me forwards, bypassing things I'd already done. Despite so many influences, self-taught describes where I'm at. My aim is to travel light, not to pick things up but to put them down.

I'm really curious on this one, and realized that we had a thread where people could say what country they were from, etc., but no thread where they could "out" themselves in terms of their own spiritual practices and beliefs. So, I thought I would start this one.

I'll start out with my own "spiritual biography" about where I've been and where I am so you'll know where I am coming from on this. I'm actually cheating on this, as I just stole this summary off of another thread and revised it for posting here:

I came of age at an earlier time (1960s) in a small Southern city in a small Anglican church. My access to resources and knowledge of the esoteric was very limited indeed, though I believe I always had a drawing to such things. Hence, it wasn’t until I was able to begin visiting our downtown library at 12 (c. 1965), that I discovered Theosophy. It immediately resonated with me. It supplied an idea of meditation, psychic development/evolution, and the psychic structure of the universe and the planes of existence that I had felt as a void (without knowing what was missing) in my Christian background. However, it wasn’t long before I found Theosophy lacking in . . . . something, as well as seeming a bit off base. I found more of what I was looking for in Yoga, and worked on Hatha Yoga using books that began to become available in the late 60s, while longing for some path to serious meditational/contemplative practices. I became familiar with Kriya Yoga through reading “Autobiography of a Yogi” (which I really liked) several times, but there was no internet and no access in my area to this form of Yoga, though TM became popular and accessible in the early 70s. So, I began on that path and continued with my interest in all things “Eastern” including the martial arts and Zen.

Still, I found something lacking, and also felt in some secret recess like I had abandoned by first true love and a great hope. I returned to Christ and have explored Christian Mysticism and spirituality for more than 30 years at this point, but here “the center could not hold”—not because Christ was insufficient, but because I ultimately decided that the theological structure built on the basis of his teachings was deficient and/or “off center” in a variety of ways. So, I’m back in the exploration business, but definitely not abandoning my Lord in the process. I am a Christian in the sense that I am his follower and He is my Lord, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that I am always in agreement with current Christian doctrine and theology, which I consider to be man-made constructs and hence subject to error.

So, I'm back in church and exploring all kinds of things in my spare time, but unfortunately don't have time to get into anything in any depth (at least until I can ever retire). In the meantime, my interests tend to be on Western occult topics and groups rather than Eastern studies. But no time, plus I'm in serious stealth mode in terms of my family environment (which is very religiously conservative)!

Now your turn! Are you a Vedantist who dabbles in astrology? A Wiccan who likes to read romantic poetry and plays the bongos? Maybe a Buddhist who still goes to Catholic Mass? A Christian like me who is trying to figure out how to fit it all together? There are all kinds of folks on this board, but you won't find out unless you talk to them, so here is a place to say what makes you "go" in the spiritual sense and learn from others about how they do the same thing.

Cordially,
S&S

S&S,

As a child of the 60's I was raised Baptist. I remember going to Sunday school and questioning everything the church was teaching. Even at 9 yrs old I just could not believe that a all knowing god would punish a soul it had created for all eternity for not believing. Plus the fact that unless your of a Christian fate all others souls that believed in other spiritual paths across the globe would be condemned to hell as well. If god was all knowing why create a soul it knew it will chose a different path. It just didn't make sense to me. So at 13 yrs old I left the church. For some time after that I became agnostic. I didn't believe in anything yet something inside of me kept telling me there was something more to existence then just this. The universe at large was just too complex with such order that something behind it must be at work.

Then in my early adult hood around the age of 22 I had a massive heart attack and almost died. During that episode I had a NDE that would forever change my life. I won't go into detail here but I found my soul (consciousness if you will ) above the earth looking at the sunrise on the other side of the planet. After that experience I knew now without a doubt that life exist beyond death and that there is meaning and purpose to it all. Shortly after the NDE I started having on again off again OBE's. So during this time I explored other spiritual paths. Mostly of a eastern bent to them. For a short while I became Buddhist even though I know its more of a philosophy then a religions.

Then in the late 70's a friend of mine introduce me to a spiritual path called Eckankar and wanted me to go to their worldwide seminar they where having in LA. I said why not. So I attended the seminar. Before the seminar began everyone was instructed to start off with a HU chant. The sound of HU is a primal sound, like AUM (or om). It’s considered to be a universal sound of god that existed in all things in nature and in all human languages. It deeply and profoundly connects soul back to the divine energy that was and is in everything that’s has ever be created across all time and dimensions. So as everyone started chanting HU I realized this was the sound I heard while having my NDE and experiencing the inner light those many years ago. I started crying and realize that perhaps I had finally found a spiritual path that fit me. So I learned more about the path for two years before becoming an Eckist. And I have follow the path of Eck ever since. I realize it not a path for everyone. However every soul must choose their own path that best suites their state of spiritual consciousness. In the end their is no right or wrong way to know god because god speaks to every soul from the universal language of the human heart.

Thanks for the post S&S. And for sharing your personal journey as soul a long your journey back home.

Love and peace.

P.

Last edited:
Hi TABA,

I can empathize with you in terms of what you are saying, but it can be a very lonely path. There is something innately personal in the spiritual quest, and it does seem that we have to walk on our own two feet, no matter what the path. Still, it is good to have some companions on the road IMO. Even something like this board is a bit of a help!

Cordially,
S&S

PS--I'm with you in terms of regressions and NDE accounts. However, I have an instinctual reaction vs. channeled information. Just me I guess.

Hi Speedwell,

Your response/path is somewhat like TABAs IMO--eclectic, individualistic and open. I think a lot of us have to follow something like that, for a variety of reasons. However, I found your comment about putting things down rather than picking them up very interesting. I'd appreciate more on that if you have time, especially how you make the decisions on what to keep and what to leave behind.

Cordially,
S&S

Hi Polaris,

Interesting church history. I was around 13 years old as well when I "left the church" at some level. "Leaving" definitely wasn't ceasing to attend, that would have caused too much of an uproar in the family. Plus, I doubt it would even have been allowed. And, I'm not sure that I was all that alienated at first. I kept going when the family went, but it became a more of a formality. It simply had not retained its relevance to my explorations, which were already ongoing. In addition, my parents were also dropping off during that period, so it just became increasingly irrelevant to the family life. However, I retained a deep reverence for Jesus at some level, while having increasing questions about the shape of what I perceived as his message, which at that relatively naive age, I considered was being accurately conveyed to me.

By 22 I was heavily into Transcendental Meditation, yoga, and martial arts--and reading everything I could get my hands on in terms of alternate (which in those days was Eastern) spirituality. But also increasingly conflicted about what I had left behind. I had also had some short OBE type experiences, but definitely nothing to compare with your NDE. (How did you manage to have a heart attack at such a young age? Was there a congenital problem of some type?) I had also read some Paul Twitchell materials, but once again, there was nothing anywhere near me related to that particular pathway. So, we tracked fairly closely up to the point of your heart attack and subsequent immersion in Eckankar. At those points, you and I diverge pretty radically. In some respects I am a bit envious of you having a solid and steady path that you have believed in and followed all of these years. TABA and Speedwell seem to be fairly content with a high level of eclectic individuality in terms of a spiritual path. However, I find it a bit lonely being thrown back into it at this late age, though I am definitely a good deal less eclectic at this point than I once was. Also, I've come to appreciate the merits of a spiritual community and the sharing and helping spirit that it engenders. I have it to some degree in my church life, but it is only "in part" rather than "in full" since there are many aspects of my spirituality and beliefs that I cannot share in that context. Nonetheless, I hope some day to again have it "in full."

Cordially,
S&S

Hi TABA,

I can empathize with you in terms of what you are saying, but it can be a very lonely path. There is something innately personal in the spiritual quest, and it does seem that we have to walk on our own two feet, no matter what the path. Still, it is good to have some companions on the road IMO. Even something like this board is a bit of a help!

Cordially,
S&S

PS--I'm with you in terms of regressions and NDE accounts. However, I have an instinctual reaction vs. channeled information. Just me I guess.

The lonely path does hurt time to time let alone the frustration but that is the hand I've been dealt which is a big part as to why I wish to move onto other experiences beyond just this world though in the end some strength can be derived from it where one is used to it while just about everyone else deeply fears it. Anyway the further one goes down such paths the fewer and fewer people there are in general until one is truly in the wilderness.

Hi Polaris,

Interesting church history. I was around 13 years old as well when I "left the church" at some level. "Leaving" definitely wasn't ceasing to attend, that would have caused too much of an uproar in the family. Plus, I doubt it would even have been allowed. And, I'm not sure that I was all that alienated at first. I kept going when the family went, but it became a more of a formality. It simply had not retained its relevance to my explorations, which were already ongoing. In addition, my parents were also dropping off during that period, so it just became increasingly irrelevant to the family life. However, I retained a deep reverence for Jesus at some level, while having increasing questions about the shape of what I perceived as his message, which at that relatively naive age, I considered was being accurately conveyed to me.

By 22 I was heavily into Transcendental Meditation, yoga, and martial arts--and reading everything I could get my hands on in terms of alternate (which in those days was Eastern) spirituality. But also increasingly conflicted about what I had left behind. I had also had some short OBE type experiences, but definitely nothing to compare with your NDE. (How did you manage to have a heart attack at such a young age? Was there a congenital problem of some type?) I had also read some Paul Twitchell materials, but once again, there was nothing anywhere near me related to that particular pathway. So, we tracked fairly closely up to the point of your heart attack and subsequent immersion in Eckankar. At those points, you and I diverge pretty radically. In some respects I am a bit envious of you having a solid and steady path that you have believed in and followed all of these years. TABA and Speedwell seem to be fairly content with a high level of eclectic individuality in terms of a spiritual path. However, I find it a bit lonely being thrown back into it at this late age, though I am definitely a good deal less eclectic at this point than I once was. Also, I've come to appreciate the merits of a spiritual community and the sharing and helping spirit that it engenders. I have it to some degree in my church life, but it is only "in part" rather than "in full" since there are many aspects of my spirituality and beliefs that I cannot share in that context. Nonetheless, I hope some day to again have it "in full."

Cordially,
S&S
S&S, Thanks for the input. Yes I guess you are right in that I am lucky that I have found a spiritual path that fits me because Eckankar teaches the ancient art of soul travel. Which is very different than astral projection. This ancient art has long been forgotten and is one that is not easily learned. The differences between astral projection and soul travel is that in astral projection one is projecting the conscious mind within the astral body and projects is out of the physical. This is a great place to start however it limits one only to the physical and astral dimensions. Where as with soul travel one learns to shift his or her consciousness away from the physical body within the causal or soul body itself and focuses instead on one of the inner dimensions where one want to explore. In doing so we simply are using one of the inner subtle bodies that we already have which corresponds to that dimension of reality. This give the person hands on experience of life and existence beyond the physical world. If nothing else the person learns that as soul you are eternal by nature.

Death now is seen for what it truly is; as a transition from one state of being to another. For the illusion of Maya has now been broken. Until this happens this Maya of life keeps soul trapped into time, space and matter within the physical realm along with the cycles of birth, death and rebirth over and over. And for the most part if does a excellent job of it. However one does not need to follow a spiritual path outwardly to be spiritual my friend. As we all have are own unique way of communicating with the divine from within. As god speaks to each soul from the universal language of the human heart. So it really does not matter what path you follow or if you don't follow one at all.

As for the my heart. Yes I had a defective heart valve from birth which I was not aware of at the time. Since then it has been corrected. However I have always felt that the NDE was a awake up call for me to put me back on track of where I needed to be on my own personal journey back home. Had I not had that experience I would not be writing this to you right now since before the NDE I did not believe in reincarnation. It was only after the NDE did I become aware I had lived many times before as does all humanity on this planet. In fact all life in the cosmos has cycles of reincarnation within the lower worlds of duality, time and space. So for me the process of reincarnation is the evolution of consciousness (the soul if you will) itself. This process allows the soul to evolve, grow, change and mature as a spiritual being.

Later...

Love and peace to you my friend.

P.

Hi Speedwell,

Your response/path is somewhat like TABAs IMO--eclectic, individualistic and open. I think a lot of us have to follow something like that, for a variety of reasons. However, I found your comment about putting things down rather than picking them up very interesting. I'd appreciate more on that if you have time, especially how you make the decisions on what to keep and what to leave behind.

Cordially,
S&S
Hi S &S, thanks for taking an interest in my ideas.

There are several interwoven threads here. During my early adulthood (say from age 18 onwards) my life was turmoil in many ways. It included some of the most joyful and uplifting times of my life so far. To that extent I use those uplifting experiences as a kind of reference marker, as well as something to simply accept and enjoy. I'm not talking about any attempt to be pious or spiritual, just ordinary day to day life.

At the same time, those same early years included some of the darkest and most desperate times too. Amidst the most painful times I found myself researching various traditions, as well as pondering on them.

Struggling with the remnants of some of those pains - which having past-life involvement, were deeply intertwined with my self - led to my coming to the view that holding such things as resentment or grudges was not inevitable, but was a matter of choice. I also realised that carrying them was a luxury I could not afford. Many of my own pains have been things which I've learned to let go of, and this is an ongoing process.

When it comes to various ideologies or systems of knowledge, sometimes the discussions I'd have going on inside my head were in themselves stressful. Letting go of arguments and disagreements about such ideas - I needn't be specific as I'm not targetting any particular belief which others might hold, only my own - led to letting go of not just the arguments, but the underlying ideologies too.

I have an affinity with nature, and appreciate just being, walking among trees or wild parts of the country gives a great sense of release. I recall a time, many years ago now, when I'd just spent an hour or two with a friend as we struggled up a rough path which led eventually to a summit from where we could rest and look back over the countryside laid out before us. Into that tranquillity I heard voices. Nearby, some fellow travellers were talking loudly about something. What struck me was that they seemed oblivious to their beautiful surroundings and the strenuous climb just completed. The talk was of everyday matters, a sort of mundane banality.

Just as I feel particularly inclined to leave my complicated thoughts behind in such surroundings, and aim to just be, that applies more broadly in everyday existence too.

I don't know whether this sheds any light. I realise I haven't addressed your specific questions, such as "how you make the decisions on what to keep and what to leave behind". My only comment I suppose would be "simplicity".

Hi Speedwell,

Thanks for your thoughts. I especially like this:

Struggling with the remnants of some of those pains - which having past-life involvement, were deeply intertwined with my self - led to my coming to the view that holding such things as resentment or grudges was not inevitable, but was a matter of choice. I also realised that carrying them was a luxury I could not afford. Many of my own pains have been things which I've learned to let go of, and this is an ongoing process.

These are very deep words and indicate a very deep insight IMO. They are really at the heart of the Christian ideal of "Forgiveness" which is often talked about, but seldom maintained as an ongoing attitude and approach to life/existence. Indeed, letting go of such things (including the demand and desire for revenge or to see others punished) seems to be a prerequisite to being released from the punishment and/or revenge we may be otherwise destined to receive. I.e., "karma." There is a balance there. How can we hold others to a standard we do not wish to be applied to ourselves? "The measure you mete will be measured unto you" is both a warning and a very, very encouraging promise to those who can let go of all resentments and hates. Likewise, the petition of the Lord's prayer to "forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us . . ." But, I am running on a bit . . . . Anyhow, a very good thought.

I also appreciate your emphasis on simplicity and nature. All good stuff.

Cordially,
S&S

I guess there are many routes to making sense of this life. I used to read various writers on psychiatry and mental health which were among some of my influences. In the end though, what matters is not the origin, but the practical effects. Testing things out to discover what works in practice has been my route, requiring a degree of trial and error.

Back