• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

What is going on

John Tat

Senior Registered
The new site has been up and running for a week now and hardly anyone is posting. Most if not all interested members will know the new site is up and running.. So what is going on? The only conclusion I can reach is what most of you have been talking about which is mostly about yourselves has been damaged and /or has lost its real meanings and perspectives because of the damaged cause by the two attempts to make this a more user friendly forum. Well if that is how you feel then you were only using the forum to promote yourself and not really looking for a community of people with common beliefs. What this forum is about has not changed

John - some members are having trouble retrieving their new passwords. The old ones were lost in the upgrade. Members have to request a new password but are not receiving the email to put in a new one. The IT tech has been called in on this one while we muddle through the control panel and try to fix it ourselves. In Between our jobs, families and life.

I'm holding off a mass email that we are up and running until this problem is fixed.

Last edited:
Glad you made it on so easily John, I can't say the same... tonight I made it. This was a major move and a complete change over in the forum's operating system. But so far, minus a glitch or two, we think this is going to be far superior to the past operating system. Give us some slack to work out all the bugs, and let us know if you see any. ~T

John, When the last forum went down in July, at first I was checking every day to see if it was back. When I saw that it wasn't, I only checked ~1X/week after that. Today I checked again, and today was the FIRST time I saw that the forum was back. But I couldn't log in until I did the "change password" route. I'm CERTAIN I'm not the only member who wasn't even aware the forum was back! Not to mentioned members that DO know, but are having problems logging in.

The admins are working hard to get everything fixed, and I'm grateful for all their hard work. Give them a break!

I think we're just about back in business now. Deborah is going to send out an email to all forum members once it's all working properly. Hang in there folks. You can start adding new threads and commenting now though if you wish.

Hi John,

I'm like Isha. Checking constantly, then checking every so often. Plus, I was getting blocked when trying to get through the usual url. I had to go through the link on Carol's site. So, that held me back too. However, glad to find things back up and going!

S&S

PS--Hi Tang! Is this going to be your new Avatar? It looks like something I've seen somewhere before, but not here.

I think not everyone has discovered the site is back up. I kept checking, and found it was up, but I had to do the get a new password route.

HI S&S

Yes, the old avatar did not have the right dimensions. This is an image I like. It's not me!

I gave up checking a long while back and just happened to stumble in here tonight. I am so glad that thing are back up and running. I am not a prolific poster but this place is my touchstone.

Hi tpicco. The Bowman's felt that a forum software upgrade was long overdue, so they went ahead with it and we had major problems with the upgrade. We got overwhelmed with problems and a lack of support from the developers and because of that, Carol and Steve decided to move to a different platform entirely. We're having a few teething problems, not just the members but the staff as well (I only managed to get back on here today). But give us a couple of weeks and I'm sure everything will be running smoothly again and I think this forum will be better than it's ever been.

I'm responsible. Blame me.

No, really the blame goes to vbulletin. We were on the vbulletin platform for ten years, but hadn't upgraded for about the last five. We were running on version 3 while the latest was version 5. Anybody who knows computers and Internet knows that the older versions of anything online are subject to malicious hacking and corruption. Not to mention that the speed and usability (theoretically) improves with the later versions. So we upgraded to ver 5 in February. What we didn't know was that in the years since ver 3 was created, vbulletin was sold to a big company that basically doesn't give a s**t and was just cashing in on vbulletin's former reputation as the best forum platform. We had no end to problems, and we seemed to just go in circles with the vbulletin support team to get anything fixed. I finally did some digging and discovered that other people all over the Internet were complaining about the new vbulletin and its buggy code. It got so bad Carol and I actually had a phone call with Deborah in July where the option to shut it down forever was on the table. But only for a moment. We decided that would be a huge loss to everybody who's contributed anything to the ReincarnationForum in the last 19 years, and to the Internet community at large. So we decided to gird up and look for a new platform to replace vbulletin.

I did research and came up with XenForo as the best choice, and a leading favorite of the forum geeks on the Internet. Curiously, it was developed by the original developers of vbulletin who left vbulletin when the company was sold. So it has the same philosophy and feel as the original vbulletin.

I also needed to find a new host, since vbulletin 5 was hosted on their cloud. Our new host is physically located in the UK, and is small enough we get really good service.

The delay from July to late August when we finally went live was due mostly to problems getting complete and uncorrupted database files from vbulletin. They were a headache to the end! We went through installations where 20% of the post were missing, where all the member info was missing, all the videos were missing. Our intrepid installer (a free lancer names Claudio from Todo10, and an expert in migrating forums from vbulletin to XenForo) kept at it until is was 98% right. Even he was pulling his hair out at the crap that vbulletin was serving up.

So if we're missing a few posts (Claudio says that's normal with such an old forum and due to some threads missing links or getting corrupted), and missing passwords (vbulletin said they can't transfer passwords, which makes sense from a security standpoint), it's a small price to pay compared to what we were facing in July. Only in the last few days have we gotten our core senior moderators and admins on board (some are still aren't back yet--everybody's having problems). We're still solving basic problems, like how to set permissions for the different sections. And the password email problem is on my agenda for today.

Right now it feels the days after a tornado whipped through town (you know those photos we see in the news), and we're cleaning up the mess and starting to rebuild.

We'll do a general announcement when we have all the critical kinks worked out. In the meantime, any member who's discovered we're live and is back posting, you're our vanguard and our heroes for sticking with it. Thank you for your patience and persistence.

And if any of you are interested in helping out, as a moderator, perhaps, let the mods know. We intend to build up our membership to the levels we were at before, and beyond, and we'll need help. XenForo is a superior platform, with modern features, and already we can tell, as we struggle to learn the ropes, that it's easier to use and manage. We may be rebuilding and rehabilitating now, but the new ReincarnationForum.com will be bigger and better than ever. Eventually.

Steve

Last edited:
Great job Steve. All of us appreciate you and Carol's dedication. This new system is heads above the old one! And, judging by the all of the new posts, I think most people are finding their way here. Thank you for your hard work!

Tinkerman,
Thank you for the appreciation. It was a lot of work. And lots of frustration. But we all took it a day at a time.

And back at ya: thank you for all you've done in the past, and what you'll be doing for us in the future. I'm glad you like XenForo. I think it's gonna be awesome once we get past the growing pains phase.

Would you like to be Permissions Czar? See my post about Permissions in the Leader's Lounge.

Steve

Yeahhhhhhh Hi Curious Girl! welcome back, glad to know - you know we're here.

Hi Tang,

Well, it may not be you in the usual sense, but I'm not sure it is not you in another sense. I could search it I guess, but somehow it conveys a bit of the "Esmeralda" vibe.

Cordially,
S&S

Back