• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

Child Prodigies - Videos and Links

deborah

Director Emerita
Staff member
Super Moderator
One of our members asked us if this was OK to post here, and to post this for her if it was. Since it was already made public by the parents on the Internet - it is OK to include it here. The boy is 2 1/2 yrs old and is playing an Indian instrument called a tabala.

The link is a film of the boy playing the instrument and below the link are several comments by people who play the tabala. You can watch the video - just click here --film. (The link has been deleted on youtube)

If you or anyone you know speaks the language spoken by the parents and friends in the film - would you be so kind as to translate? It is quite something - his hand movements are eloquent - and very specific. :D

Website

His skills really seem extraordinary and his playing sounds as really beautiful classical Indian music.
This case reminds me of the classic reincarnation case of Bishan (Bishen) Chand Kapoor who was able to play the tabla without prior learning in this life. This case is mentioned in Stevenson's Cases of the Reincarnation Type, Vol. ! Ten Cases in India and was originally investigated by K.K.N. Sahay.

Here's a response from LankaWeb to the case of Aditya Phatak:
"Aditya Phatak who is just 2.5 years old and has had
NO training in tabla what so ever. Yet its unexplainable that how he can play tabla so well and identify all taals at such an age. My guruji Shri Pritam Bhattacharjee met him while in PA and he sang a bandish in ada chautaal. And this 2.5 year old kid recognized the taal !!!!! Its unexplainable that how did he get such a talent."

Titus

Thanks for the links!

On his web site, look at some of the videos from 2005 when he was only a year old- he looks like he's playing air tablas! :)

Watching that boy actually raises more questions than it answers for me. Reincarnation is the only explanation I can even imagine.

Here's the thing. I have never seen a 2 year old with motor skills developed enough to play like that, to move their arms like that.

I can see a child loving an instrument at that age. My son was obsessed with guitars at age 2 but he couldn't play one. So, I can understand an above average interest but not such an early muscular and motor skill development in such a young child. I think I wasn't expecting that at all and haven't heard of this in relation to reincarnation but it is the only explanation i can think of.

Has anyone read if this boy has said anything yet that indicate past life recall?

Vicky

I'm really grateful for the link Deborah! I could watch that adorable little boy for hours, and it made me fall in love with the tabala (actually, I have been crazy for Bollywood for about five years now, but he just reminded me). It's great that he is also in a very loving, nurturing family that allows his (already present?) talent AND love of music to thrive. Just makes me wonder how many children like this are around us but don't necessarily have this.

Hi Deborah,

Thank you for the link and information. I have just gone through the videos of Master Adhithya Pathak. His mastery over tabala is superb. I have listened to many masters of tabala for the last forty years and can state that he is no less than any great master i have known.

As per your request for translation, these are my comments.

The conversation is mostly in Hindi and Marati languages. In brief, in some videos the visitors and singers are challenging him by their songs for which Pathak is replying with his performance. In some other videos, others are asking him to play some specific rethyms just by naming the rethyms and he is producing the rethyms. ( for example they are asking them to play 'adital' and he is playing it)

I don't think for the need of full translation. But, if required, I have to take the transcription of the tapes and have to translate into english.

pineal

Thank you pineal for the brief translation.

Coming from a family full of musicians where music comes naturally, I'm very amazed by this "toddler's" mature and "practiced" abilities. His hand movements are that of someone very experienced. His grasp of complex rhythms to songs he's never heard before just blow me away.

I'm wondering if he's starting to mention any PL memories yet - - his age is about right for beginning mentionings. He sure looks to be a charming little boy with a very involved and loving family.

Deborah said:
I am surprised members are not all over this - there are ten videos in all. He is listed as a Child prodigy; his name is Aditya Phatak, his age 2.5 yrs. He is accompanying his grandfather Deepak Phatak on tabla for O Duniya Ke Rakhwale. Any researchers following up?

Westerners have to imagine a 2.5 year old playing piano with such grace, style, precision and rhythm.

It takes a keen ear and excellent coordination to have 1 hand keep one rhythm while the other hand keeps a 2nd rhythm. I was amazed at his hand structure and how he held them a certain way. He also hit the correct part of his hand to obtain a different sound.

Amazing!

Wow Pineal, your comments gave me a totally new perspective on the videos..his playing is amazing on it's own but, to know that he was spontaneously responding correctly to the 'tests'..to me there's no doubt now, he had a pat life as a tabala master!

Thanks for posting this. And thanks, Pineal, for your translation. I didn't know that the child was performing specifically named rhythms on the tabla.

Watching his coordination and knowledge of these complex rhythms certainly begs the question: if this isn't reincarnation, what is it?? It would be one thing if he were just playing along to the song...still quite amazing. But his knowledge of these specific rhythms...astounding.

I wonder what his parents think! I'll have to google him and read more.

Carol

Thanks for the link, Titus. I just got onto his website. VERY interesting!

Wow!

I'm extremely tired right now, with finals and work among other things. :eek: :rolleyes: BUT :D - I just had to throw in my two cents and express how utterly incredible this little boy's musical abilities are.

Thank you for the excellent connections Titus :thumbsup: and for the translations, pineal :D - your interpretation only serves to underline how amazing this is - the little boy is not only playing extraordinarily well, he is playing as though he remembers, responding correctly to requests for specific types of songs which is important to note. He's very joyful as he plays a lot of the time, while at others, he seems incredibly focused - almost in put in trance by the drumming. Age aside, it's a beautiful thing to watch and listen to a musician create.

To have such a well documented case of a child exhibiting such complex feats, specifically with regards to video AND audio, is a rare find indeed and I would highly encourage everyone who hasn't had a chance already to give the videos in the links Deborah and Titus provided a look and a listen.

I don't mean to get too excited here and I'm not an expert by any means, but it's obvious this tabala instrument requires finely tuned motor skills, which, to my understanding/experience, does not seem to be common in young children until they're nearly 6 years old or so. That's not even taking into account his amazing rhythm and "musical ear" which sound and even appear as though he had years of training, an impossible feat in 2 1/2 years, a good part of during which his brain would have been too preoccupied refining neuronal pathways. ;) In that respect, I have to agree with what others have already wondered - does the talent have roots in a past life/lives? What do the parents think about this? While I'm at it, what do you think? Any thoughts?

Amazing children videos

Hi there

This is my first post, though I have followed this forum for several years on and off. I came across Carol's book at the library and was gobsmacked by the books and this website. I pop in every so often and am always moved by the posts on here.

In actual fact, this site was one of my main reasons for my career choice, as I became very interested in reincarnation as a result of my researching and reading, which led to my becoming a hypnotherapist.

Anyway, that's me! :) I have also recently come across some amazing videos on the internet, and this site popped into my head when I saw them. See what you think, I am amazed by the maturity and skill displayed by these children, and they are an absolute joy to watch.

Lyra

Akiane's art

I wanted to link everyone to a little girl's website - - the girl's artistic talent is (imo) unbelievable, and many of her paintings come from dreams or visions - - or, as she says, "her imagination." She has made comments about several of her paintings and her inner wisdom ... even her vocabulary, at such a young age, truly blows me away.

Akiane's art

Enjoy!

Kat!!! Akiane is absolutely amazing. Makes me wonder what spiritual event happened to her at age 4. The link you provided talks about it but doesn't give details.

I think she's amazing, too. Yeah, I wondered the same. She has some books out -- I may look into them. Her insights are just absolutely unbelievable. She uses words like "allegory" and "metaphor" etc. Little kids don't typically use those words.

I saw a part of the Oprah show, and there was an 8-year-old opera singer featured. She was singing Mozart and hitting the notes! I couldn't help but wonder...she was so poised, and it all seemed so natural for her. I think they mentioned they she sings in four languages.

That little boy looks like he is doing acrobatics rather than dancing. I have recently seen some Chinese acrobats on TV perform identical moves.

I figure he is all set to become the world's greatest acrobat and may have been one before.

Angelcat :)

Video evidence of PL talents carried over?

I haven't been on this site in quite some time but thought of it after seeing this blog page:

http://onemansblog.com/2007/03/26/top-10-kids-who-prove-were-all-pathetic/

It's a page of embedded videos (mostly from YouTube and similar sites) about kids who have talents far in excess of what would be expected given their age. Some are better than others (two have no sound) but I'd say that at least five out of the ten will make you drop your jaw in amazement, IF you can bear waiting for them to load (the curse of low-bandwidth connections...).

If I may offer an opinion, there are a couple of conclusions/theories that one could draw from kids like this.

First, kids are capable of learning things at a much earlier age than many people give them credit for, and more to the point, by the time most people think they are "ready" to learn skills, they've actually started to lose that ability. Our crappy education system hasn't figured this out - as an example, they usually don't even offer foreign languages to kids until LONG after kids have hit their mental peak for language development. Even people who have studied the science of education and young child development would probably concede that point, but trying to get the entrenched educational community (read: public schools and unionized teachers) to make any significant course change is probably akin to trying to turn the Titanic before it hit the iceberg.

Second, there is a real possibility (I would think even a probability) that some of these talents are carried over from previous lives (any other explanation would still likely involve something that society as a whole isn't ready to accept). However, and I think this is a key point, if a kid is born with a "carryover" previous life talent but has no means to integrate it into his current life (for example, a classical pianist who in the next incarnation is born into a home too poor to afford any musical instruments), they probably lose those past life talents at about the time other kids lose their past life memories. But if they have a chance to practice those remembered skills in the new life, while they are very young, then the past talents can be integrated into their current lifetime, and improved upon. I would bet that at least some of the kids in those videos started practicing whatever skill they excel at when they were still very young.

I can still remember as a kid being absolutely fascinated with anything having to do with space or astronomy (and I started reading at a relatively early age). I could name every planet and probably tell you facts about each one. But my family never encouraged that interest at all (not that they had the means to), and I lived in a small, rural community far from any observatories or any way at all to further that interest (beyond staring at the stars at night). We didn't even really have a decent library in our town. About the time I was seven or eight I just lost all interest in astronomy, and although I've enjoyed science fiction to some degree all my life, I always wondered what might have happened if I'd had more opportunity as a young child to pursue that. In fact that was one of several science related-interests I had that just all seemed to disappear (or at least, any early talent or serious interest I might have had did) after an early age.

If I may editorialize just a bit more, it's just plain nuts that our educational system teaches kids meaningless drivel (for the most part) at an early age, and makes no attempt to encourage individual children to excel in whatever might truly interest them. Then in high school and college, when the pathways in the brain are already fairly well formed, they attempt to introduce all manner of new knowledge and concepts, thinking that kids can't handle them earlier. And of course, some kids probably cannot, but our one-size-fits-all system of education pretty well assures that all students will be dumbed down to the lowest common denominator.

So I guess what I'm saying is that my theory is that whatever past life knowledge and experience we may be born with comes with a sell-by date, and once that date is past it spoils rather quickly. If kids can integrate that knowledge and experience into their present life, it gives them a head start over everyone who's just trying to pick up a talent in this life. If they can't integrate it, or it is left to die on the vine by parents and educators that can't see the value of encouraging a child to pursue their interests and talents, the child may lose whatever they had and in the end excel at nothing (don't ask how I know that can happen, please).

What do you think, does my theory make any sense or am I imagining things?

Moose, excellent post and I think it makes perfect sense!

I enjoyed the 6 year old guitarist too....wow!

Tinkerman

Another thought on this...a response to Moose

I was thinking about this on the way to work today and now I have a second to share my own story on this.

When my youngest son was around 2.5 to 3 years old and we would take him swimming, he would dive from the side of the pool with this incredible form. He would kind of swoop his arms out and over his head like a professional diver and--at 2.5--do a near-perfect dive into the pool. He couldn't swim otherwise (although the loved the water and loved to have me swim with him), but he dove so well that I would worry about him banging his head on the bottom of the pool (I would wonder if the "no diving in the shallow-end" rule applied to a toddler). He would even show off for other kids. When a child his own age would be nervous about jumping in, my son would say, "Like THIS!" and dive in (and I'd have to get him and help him swim back to the wall).

Now he is six and is an excellent swimmer, but both my husband and I were noticing last summer (when he was five) that he had lost that "perfect dive" he once had. My husband blames the fact that he has had swim lessons now and he no longer feels "free" to just fly into the water as he once did. We do swim nearly every single day from April to late September, so he does have the opportunity to practice, but although he loves to swim, he no longer dives as he once did.

I just think it's interesting in the context of "forgetting" our past talents, if that is what has happened. At any rate, he has always, and still does, love the water and he still loves to swim.

Kim

Hi Kim thank you for sharing your son's story with us. Your son sounds like he is a very talented swimmer for his age. It is my belief that many natural talents like this do come from a pastlife.

Kind Regards
Kay

Violin solo by multi-talented 4 year old

Here's another video of a 4 year old playing the violin.

He's also the youngest person to have his own art exhibition, the media call him the "Pint-sized Picasso", you can read about that here.

What an amazing little boy, his name is Dhanat.

Chris~

He's cute as a button - - but his performance is not exceptional. That's the Suzuki method and the children that follow this method all do relatively well. Also, he's pretty flat through much of the performance.

Still, he's cute as a button!

Thanks for sharing, Chris :)

I enjoyed looking at Dhanat's paintings. I love the way he uses color. I really like "Happy Rings" -- and a few of the untitled ones I'd hang in my house! :) Pretty good job for a 4 year old, imo!

Aili

The original link doesn't work anymore. I searched for the name Aditya Phatak and nothing came up, but I did find this - is this the boy?

Also: about child prodigies - anyone see anything about this girl?

http://www.marlaolmstead.com/

enyeo

I'm pretty sure that's not the same boy.

Marla's work is indeed intriguing. I'll be interested in a detailed observation by our resident artists. While her work is more along the lines of "modern" - - I get a sense of Monet when I look at her creations.

Thanks, Moondansyr. Aditya is playing way better than the other boy I found. It's amazing.

I was puzzled when you mentioned Monet about Marla, but, yes, I guess some of her things resemble the water lilies. There's a blue one called "At The Lake" that brings that to mind. There's also a few that remind me of Chagall.

I'm very much into this kind of art. Marla's stuff is just a pleasure to look at.

enyeo

Carol: That's amazing! Whether it's a past life ability or not, that's stunning and certainly shows our knowledge is woefully incomplete. :)

I'm particularly impressed at the ability of her to read "avocado" - although the article was unclear as to whether or not she could simply read the word, or if she had the ability to actually understand the meaning of the word. I would have also wrote down unusual words that are pronounced strangely, to see if she could handle those.

Back