• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

Historical Artists & their work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gemeni

Senior Registered
I feel quite drawn to this period but haven't got around to investigating it yet (I'm quite new to all this and only just starting to piece things together).

A few years ago I had a very vivid dream, which I now think may be past life related. I was at Raphael's studio. I was there to be a figure (one of a group) to be painted. He was getting really agitated because people were calling him Raphael and he kept insisting "No, no. It's Raffaello!". I knew nothing about him at the time, but when I checked it up the following morning I found that was how he prefered to be known!!

I haven't started to investigate his work yet to see if I can spot myself. That could be really weird! I remember that there were a lot of heavy green drapes around, so maybe that'll give me a clue to go on.

Russian Icon Painter - Early 1400's

I was born in Russia in the early 1400's - to a middle class family. My father was very religious and we didn't get along too well. I was sent to the Netherlands to a school at about age 15 - to learn with the Masters. I became a painter - painting walls and small icons.. images for the Church. They were my biggest patron at the time. No one famous - that I can tell - just another painter who sometimes slipped in symbols against the churches ideas and without them realizing it! ;) I am still looking -for my work. Haven't run across it yet. I have a feeling - I ended up in Spain. Someday I hope to go there and visit their museums.

I work large now - 6 foot by 4 foot mostly. This past year I did a few small self portraits of me as a child. 6 inches by 8 inches. Oh the pain! I remember - the detail - the tiny tiny images of icon painting. What surprised me most?? How easy it was so for me do!

This post and discussion is continued in the thread Russian lifetime?

Spanish artist, 1600's

The other vision I had while sleeping had to do with me in an art gallery or some type of museum in Spain.

I was a male and I was sitting down in the musuem talking about my work, I know I had sculptures in there and other paintings and was trying to talk up my work and sell.

When I was sitting there in the middle of the museum still painting I was having a conversation in Spanish with some lady who was interested in my paintings. I cannot tell the year, but I'm thinking 1600 or something. Not sure why that date just popped in my head but it was long ago.

Then I believed there was a twin brother related to me that lived in the same red roof adobe type living situation...not rich..but just barely making trying to convice people to buy my work.

I guess that I was a struggling painter in Spain, and all I remember is the conversation in the art gallery that I was having with the woman. I was definitely speaking conversational Spanish and knew exactly what I was saying in my dream/vision.

Then I woke up and literally sat up and remembered it all, but not the Spanish dialect. I said to myself, 'Wow...I don't know Spanish?'. But inside I knew that it was for real and I definitely knew how to speak it.

Child model for a struggling painter

I did a regression last night that resulted in perhaps the strongest, most vivid memories I've had so far.

Near the end of a session with a Buhlman CD, after various other memories, I suddenly saw a shabby artists' studio, late 1700s early 1800s, where a struggling painter was doing a portrait. I thought I was him but then I saw his model, a young girl 8-9 years old. She was very poor, and came in occasionally to pose for him in exchange for food and an opportunity to wear decent clothes as she usually wore rags.

She left the studio. I saw her mother, a drunk. No father. The child struggled to survive by picking and selling flowers or other trinkets. Then the artist moved away, and she had nothing.

I saw her walking, walking, walking through dirty streets (I think London, but maybe Paris). Then she lay down in a doorway on her side, and, now looking through her eyes, I gazed listlessly at the people and carriages going by as I slowly died of malnutrition and dysentery (which I felt).

I felt her quiet stoicism, but also the utter indifference of everyone else, and when she (I) died I felt my soul released crying out with bitterness and outrage, and also such pity for the child. I was no more than 12 years old.

I saw the year, 1808, I think of my death.

That life, as well as episodes in the two lives that came between that and this, has led me to a deep distrust and bitterness toward people, a seperateness and isolation. I can never forget dying in that doorway, with not a word or gesture of compassion from others.

Lonewolf

This post and discussion is continued in the thread Death of a child

Painting for the Church

I am drawn to specific works of art for different reasons. Perhaps because of my education in the arts, but I think more so because of past life experiences. I am drawn to Egyptian Art for their narrative, the story they tell, the multilayered meanings behind the obvious. I look at Egyptian Art and remember the ceremonies, the rituals and the significance behind the images.

As a painter now - I am fascinated with different eras and techniques. For example, portraiture -- unless done in an interesting way -- is only awe inspiring to me as a technique and perceptual talent. Romantic portraits are cool to look at and bring the viewer into a dreamy space. But painters like Gustov Klimt really get me excited about paint and Goya, who was an activist in his day-- :) is a man after my own heart.

Russian Icons and small detailed portraits if Jesus and Mary -love to look at them, but I remember doing them before traveling to Spain and Italy to be trained further in painting in the early 1400's. What a pain to do, so small! The visual dialog says the same thing - over and over again. I look at them today and remember the hundreds in the studio, ready to be purchased and prayed over. I remember having so much to say with my painting and being stuck creating icons for a long time before traveling out of Russia. UGH.

I do remember painting later for the Church. The artists who were trained in specific techniques were also masters of the visual dialog - using symbols and visual tricks that fooled the masses and the clergy; hidden implications abound. ;)

This post and discussion is continued in the thread Art and past lives?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back