• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

My son didn't want to be born

P.S. TO VAL,

My son is the same way as yours. He was one of those kids who just cannot focus without his medication. At one point, I stopped giving it to him to see if he was doing better on his own. Within days, teachers were calling because he was disruptive in class and could not focus on curriculum. So, I totally agree with you. I've just seen so many children who are just starved for attention, and when that's given to them, they are normal loving children.
Love and Light,
Melsie;)

Thank goodness for involved, caring, attentive parents and families. The world could use more of them.

John

Melsie said:
P.S. TO VAL,

My son is the same way as yours. He was one of those kids who just cannot focus without his medication. At one point, I stopped giving it to him to see if he was doing better on his own. Within days, teachers were calling because he was disruptive in class and could not focus on curriculum.

I have done the same with Ryan for a month. Not only did he have problems at school, but the neighbors complained about him being too aggressive with their children. They would forbid him from playing with their kids for a week at a time. When Ryan is on the meds he had no problem playing with these children. At this point the meds seem to level him out so that he can think before he acts. I hope one day he will no longer need the meds, but for now they make his life easier.

What type of meds does your son take, and have you noticed any side affects? Ryan takes 20mg of Adderall, and so far the only side affect is that he hasn't gained much weight. This was one of the reasons I took him off of the meds for a month. But after weighing risk vs reward, I put him back on the meds. Now I just try to feed him high calorie, but healthy foods.

Hi Val,
My son has been on Adderall, Mellaril, Dexadrine and Ritalin (several different doses per day). The Adderall and Mellaril gave him horrible stomach aches, the other meds were fine.
Brandon really struggled through school. He was always made full of for being 'different', which is so sad and so hard for little ones to cope. Even talking to me and me trying to help him work through his frustrations, it was still hard for him. He's 18 now, and off all medications. He gradually learned to 'redirect' himself to stay on task and concentrate, but it took many years for that to happen.

Brandon still struggles with the anger and hurt from being different, but even with all the hurdles he's had to jump in his young life, he has a sweet heart and loves people. He wants to much to be 'normal'. Growing up some has definately helped him a lot. But, as his mom, it's so hard to watch your little one struggle with simple ordinary things that other children find so easy.

I do believe that all if his 'issues' are probably from a previous life. He talked so much about killing bears and doing things that a child of three just couldn't have knowledge of; but at the time I just thought he had a wild imagination and didn't take much of what he said seriously. I wish I had, and had known about reincarnation back then.

Thanks so much for sharing about your son.

Love and Light,
Melissa

How inspirational and sensible you all are

I am new here and arrived when doing a search on google for my own site and forum.

I have full memory of my reincarnation and of being 'between' lives. I was given visions of this life ahead of me because I have a job to do in relation to the Spirit.

I was a man in my last life and have great difficulties relating to people in this one. I still feel 'strange' and suspect that people don't really want to know me although this is probably not true because they are usually fascinated by what I have to say and am doing. Aside from the fact that I missed the strength I had previously I also had a different language to parents and siblings and could not communicate well until I was 8. Its all told on my site.

Because of my memory young children, in my experience, have much to cover up as they become aware that parents and others cannot accept or believe what they have brought with them. In today's society that may well turn into so-called behaviour problems but like the doctor who doses children unnecessarily because of neglectful parents I think teachers and others who have to deal with them are also to blame. I know this was a huge factor in my early years.

Recent studies in Australia have shown that certain food products bring on bad behaviour and out of control symptoms, and one such case involves white bread. As well presevatives, and junk food, are listed high on the no noes. That's worth exploring for all those mums who have behaviour disfunctional children.

I am highly allergic to chemicals and the amount present in the food chain of today would probably kill me if I ingested it. I avoid all food with preservatives, chemicals and other things like the plague. Shop bought fruit and vegetables are also treated with chemicals and tainted with herbicides and pesticides and, for the most part, are flavorless and, therefore, lacking in nourishment. I grow and bottle all my own fruit, jams, pickles and so on which many parents today avoid doing. As a young child I was always in trouble for not eating butter or margarine and my body still cannot tolerate them. Recent studies show that margarine made with vegetable oil contributes to macular degeneration) a condition affecting the eyes.

I believe what we have lost and surrendered in these kind of skills are affecting the entire population.

Children who reincarnate bring with them certain baggage and habits that cannot be easily dismissed. It is better to let them lead instead of trying to force them to conform. Many have very high IQ's that are squashed because of systems which do not allow for their expressions. I also believe that homosexuality is also connected as I had a difficult time adjusting to being a female.

Well done everyone here for your forward and wonderful thinking.

God bless

Hi Norma,

You sound like a very interesting and wonderful person! I would love to visit your site and learn about your memories of past lives and in between lives. Can you post the address?

I totally agree with you about the pesticides and chemicals. From heavily monitoring the foods and drinks that my son could have, it made such a difference in him, not having sugar, red dyes (from drinks to lunch meats, etc.). Unfortunately, I'm probably the worst cook ever, and I have no idea how to pickle and preserve things myself. It's not meant as an excuse, just a fact: but my family's fast paced life (work, chores, etc) makes it difficult to prepare all of our meals to be healthy ones. I really need to work on that one.

As far as people in general expecting these children to conform to what society has structured as the 'norm', I totally agree with that. I found myself being frustrated with school facility expecting Brandon to be 'like the other kids'. His 'normal' was normal for him, just a little different from average kids and faculties' expectations. He's really struggled wtih that. He's doing much better now, but it's still challenging for him.

Thanks so much for your input, and I look forward to getting your website address so I can read up on your experiences.

Love and Light,
Melissa

I haven't been on this forum in many months but just happened to jump on today and this was the first thread I read. I empathize with the original poster's son. Although I was born in the 50's, I was not diagnosed with ADD until the 90's, and as a result I think my life was much harder than it might have had to be otherwise. I just want to make a few comments that may or may not be helpful.

First, please do not automatically refuse medication just because you may correctly perceive that a lot of kids are being medicated that shouldn't be. The pharmaceutical industry is a big business in America and they won't be happy until everybody is taking about a dozen expensive pills every day, granted, but some of the medications really do work and can make a world of difference. I did NOT get any medications (in part, I believe, because to this day my mother hates the idea of taking any pills) and to many people my life could be considered a train wreck. The biggest problem I had were that I could not stay focused on any task because I would become bored to tears with it. Even if it was an activity I had formerly liked, I would get bored with it in nothing flat. Employment of any kind was hell because I would get bored by the repetitive tasks inherent in any job, usually in about two weeks. I think the longest I ever held any employment was about eight months. You can probably imagine how that impacted my life.

But the second thing is, be aware that some people are diagnosed with ADD when what they really have is Asperger's Syndrome. I think doctors don't even look for this because while it is at least somewhat socially acceptable nowadays for a child to have ADD (unlike when I grew up), Asperger's Syndrome is still associated with "high level autism" and parents just don't want to hear that. However, the thing about Asperger's is that a child can be exceptionally bright intellectually, but have no "social skills." In a way they are very "me" centric, because they simply do not perceive how their actions affect others.

Some adults that you may perceive as being mean individuals actually have this - when they interact with someone (say a store clerk in a store where they felt they were cheated on a purchase) they are simply concerned with protecting their own rights and do not understand that if they yell at the clerk, it may really upset that person. Their feeling is, if they had cheated someone, they would expect to be yelled at (and in fact that is often how they grew up, since their lack of social skills often resulted in them being the kid that was picked on by both other children and even some adults, so they just come to believe that it's okay to treat people badly when you are upset. It is a vicious cycle, their bad behavior causes them to be treated badly, and in turn they come to believe it's socially acceptable to treat people badly, which makes them even more disliked).

But, if someone takes the time to explain to them how they have hurt someone else's feelings they are often very remorseful. They truly didn't know they had hurt the other person!

ADD and Asperger's are not the same thing, although Asperger's is often misdiagnosed as ADD. I mention that because of the comment about how the original poster's child doesn't play well with others. While some ADD children may create conflict in play just to relieve boredom, an Asperger's child will be the kind that will bash another kid over the head with a toy, having no empathy for the pain they other child feels - until it is explained to him! You'd think it should be obvious that such an action would hurt someone else, but the Asperger's child just isn't thinking about that. It's not that he doesn't know it on an intellectual level, but his brain just doesn't make the connection at the time of the event.

Although I was diagnosed late in life with ADD, I suspect that I may really have had Asperger's, which was virtually unknown when I was growing up. I truly believe now that the main reason I was pushed ahead two grades in elementary school was because in both cases it got me out of one teacher's class (who'd had all of me she could take) and into another teacher's class. Unfortunately, placing me into a class where everyone was two years older did not in any way enhance my social development, especially when they started going through puberty and I had no idea what was happening to them.

And the reason I mention all that is to say this: Although I don't recall saying it as a small child, I do know that by the time I was a teenager I frequently lamented the fact that I had ever been born. The world seemed like a cruel, unloving place (still does, for that matter) and it just seemed to me that I would have been far better off, as would many of those I came in contact with, if I had never been born at all. I know, I have seen the movie "It's A Wonderful Life", but somehow I missed out on the "having friends" part and the "happy ending" part.

So if you don't want your child to have the kind of life I did (and trust me, you don't), please make sure he is diagnosed properly (make sure they do an evaluation for Asperger's - it may seem hard to live with, but better to be treating the correct condition than the wrong one) and at least give the medication a chance. If you want to take your child off it during the summer, that's a possible option. Or if you can get him into a school that actually challenges kids' minds and keeps them from being bored to tears, rather than just warehousing them for most of the day, that would be even better (in my opinion, most public schools are horrible places to send a child, especially one that has difficulty with sitting still and feels like he's gonna die if he can't get up and move around).

Just some advice from someone who's been through it. I'd hate to see any other kid go through what I went through, and what I've told you here only scratches the surface.

Wow Moose, that must have been hard to write. I hope it helps someone with a child with these issues.

Vicky

Moose,

I am the original poster of this thread, and I just want to say that I agree with you about ADD/ADHD. My son was diagnosed at the age of 5-years-old. My husband and I were reluctant at first to try the medication, but Ryan was not able to focus on almost anything, and he was extremely hyper, and loud. And like you, he gets bored very easy.

On the meds, he can focus and get his work done. He is still a little hyper and loud, but not nearly to the extent he had been. He gets along much better with family, teachers, and peers.

His Headstart teachers were the first to acknowlage that Ryan had a problem. I had been concerned before that, because of his hyperactivity. My two older girls had always been very focused and sedate children, but they were 8 and 13 when Ryan was born, so I didn't know how to deal with Ryan at first. I thought he was just a very active boy, and I had been used to quiet girls.

His headstart teachers suggested that I have him evaluated for ADHD. They were very supportive. They felt that he couldn't control his impulsiveness and inattention, so they would sit with him, and explain things to him rather than punish him. As a result of this first experience with school, Ryan now loves school.

I believe that Add/Adhd can be hereditary. I think my husband has this disorder, but he was never diagnosed with it. He shows many signs of adult Add (He can be restless, but he isn't hyper.) From the stories I heard about his childhood; I think he could have benefitted from medication. His father was a very intolerant person who believed corporal punishment was the only answer to a child's misbehavior. Although his father could be loving and encouraging at times, he was inconsistant, and usually spanked or whipped out of anger rather than instruction. As a result, my husband developed panic attacks and anxiety disorder as an adult. I have read that these disorders along with depression, are common among people with untreated ADD/ADHD.

As for Asperger's Syndrome, this is the first I have heard of it.
I want to find out more about it though because it seems to fit my oldest daughter. However, she is the opposit of ADD/ADHD. She is extremely focused and very sedate. However her social skills are a disaster. She has very little tact, and can be highly self centered, and antisocial. She will say something that offends, and when it is pointed out that she offended, she doesn't understand why. She does realize that she has these problems, and is working to correct them. She is 20 now and believes in reincarnation. She believes that in one or more past lives she had been evil, and is now working on redemption. Empathy has not come easily for her, but with the help of her 15-year-old sister (who wants to be a healer) and I, she is developing more empathy.

One thing I feel inclined to add about Aspergers - some people with AS do have natural empathy and fine, if awkard, social skills.

I was misdiagnosed with it as a young child, so it's not my favorite topic, but one I'm all too familar with.

Melsie said:
Hi Norma,

You sound like a very interesting and wonderful person! I would love to visit your site and learn about your memories of past lives and in between lives. Can you post the address?

Thanks so much for your input, and I look forward to getting your website address so I can read up on your experiences.

Love and Light,
Melissa

Hi Melissa and everyone else,

I am sorry I did not get back sooner but have been very busy.

God bless and thanks for the welcome Vicky

Norma:)

diandra1010 said:
When i read your story i felt like i was seeing my son's life all over. my son was due on nov 12 2000, he was born nov 28, 2000. i was induced on tue and by wed morning nothing, finally i dialate and get to 8 and again nothing. in the end i was 16 days overdue, spent 26 hours in labor and ended up with a c-section. Now to the adhd part. when my son was 4 his preschool teacher said he showed signs of add or adhd and she thought i should have him tested. we did have him tested and they said no we don't diagnose this early. so we discussed his sleeping and found out he has a sleeping problem. i already knew this but i didn't know there was a solution. he is 5 now and has been on clonidine for a year. sleeps great and has gotten a lot better at studying and learning because he gets 8 hours of sleep a night. the doctors do say though that he may need something when he starts kindergarten this year but we have to wait til he starts to truly know. my son also has talked of past lives and has a small psychic streek in him. of course this is my observation and his. he does predict things and he has told me of 2 deaths he knows of. i just never thougth until reading your story just how the 2 might be related. i can relate to you so well and some times you just never know anyone can relate. sometimes in the midst of the moment you think how can anyone deal and then you see others doing it. i am dreading any meds though because of side effects and all. we go back to the dr tommorrow for a refill on his current script and everytime we go i pray he retracts the new meds talk. i do not want to do that. so i gotta ask how does your son do. do you have a lot of side effects. i know this gets off the subject but i had to ask.

Your post reminded me of a book I saw at Borders a few weeks ago. (I know it's been a while since you posted this, but it's worth a shot ^_~) It was a book on raising Indigo children. Your son seemed to fit the description (As does Val's)... I'm not sure if it's a true thing (Indigo children) but if reincarnation is true, heck anything can be ^_^ And I bet it'd be worth a look if it can keep your kid off meds.

Back