• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

Past Life Mentors???

vanhalen50one50

Senior Registered
I believe we have discussed past life mothers, fathers, friends, and loves, but what about the mentors? Surely there are past life mentors remembered, has anyone had an experience where you remembered a past life mentor?

I only so far remember one mentor who also happened to be my everything. He was my grandfather and he encouraged me to learn when I could have easily given up after the death or loss of my parents (I haven't exactly figured out why they weren't in the picture just yet.) Have you remembered a past life mentor? What were they like? What did they mentor you in? From my experience, they are light and love. :)

Best Wishes,
VanH.

Hi VanH,

That’s a good question ;) I know that in many of my pl’s there have been important “teachers” that I respected – and looked up to. Too many to list here without getting into the nitty gritty details. : angel

I will share one of them:

In my life in Russia, I wanted to be a ballerina. We lived not far from the school and I desperately wanted to go there. I was technically not old enough to get into the school – but my parents had money and influence at the time. They were very loving and generous with all four of us children and encouraged us to pursue our dreams. They had a studio built in our home – just for me to practice. I remember going through a rigorous examination by several people – my feet, my bone structure etc. One of the men recommended a retired prima ballerina - to come to the house to give me lessons in private in preparation for the entrance audition – which for me, was still several years away. This ballerina had injured herself quite young – and walked with a cane. She became a good friend – even though she was a very difficult and demanding person when she was teaching, she was very affectionate “after work.” I was with her for several years. During this time, she instilled a great love of dance in me, as well as discipline, focus and perfect technique. ;)

Aili

That is a very good question Vanhalen50one50! :) I am sure there were many that I looked up to - but one stands out in my mind. There was a group of us, (African American ex-slaves); four women doing laundry by hand, in a wash tub, with a press and then hanging the clothes on the line to dry. Everyday chores and everyday life. The clothes line was shared by several families. There were no fences between the property lines. We were talking about an older woman in the community -her name was Gordie Mae. The work was hard -the pace of life was slow. It was just everyday life - a simpler time.

I am living in Oklahoma in an all black community near Oklahoma City, but not in it. I am in Church and it is Sunday; there is a community congregation but today it feels more like a political assembly. An old woman is seated in the front row and strikes her cane on the ground. It is Gordie Mae. She is speaking loudly and firmly about our rights, as human beings, as Americans, living in the land of the free..........

She left a lasting impression upon me : angel - then and now. These days - I am now an advocate for children's issues. Perhaps her activist spirit rubbed off on me? :D

Ailish- What a wonderful memory! The ballerina really must've had a wonderful way of teaching to make a kind of lasting impression that you carried over from a life!!! :D Its so cool that you have :D brought forth the talent from that life. :) Your parents must have been fantastic people as well to allow their children to follow their dreams!!! :)

Deborah- Gordie Mae sounds awesome! I would have loved to meet her!!! She sounds like she wouldn't take crap from anyone! lolol! She also sounds like she was a fun lady! I think that its really cool that you have become an activist for children's issues! Not that many people would take the time out of their lives to do that, a really rare quality in our society today. ;)

I think teachers are so wonderful because they are the ones who instill deep passions and knowledge into everyone. Sadly, teachers and mentors are not given the full recognition that they deserve. But, even without that recognition, the truly great ones keep teaching because they know the rewards of knowledge. ;) :D

Sincerely,

VanH.

Hello again..

I don't know if this "goes for past life teacher" but I have seen an old (chinese looking) man in my dreams several times. It seems I have a strange way of communicating with him. He is... in a way... still teaching me! He looks a bit different every time, but it still the same person!

He behaves like a "master yoda.." ...with not so many words...he will show and teach me a lesson.

Once in a dream...I was wandering throug a forrest. And there he was. The old man was sitting on a tree-branch...naked! Without hasitation I gave him my blanket...he never speaks and I never ask. I looked to see if he was allright...he just thanked me and I went on walking.

He is putting me through all kinds of "tests" and teachings in a strange way!

Next thing I know...I'm walking at exactly the same spot again...and again the old man is sitting there...naked! :confused: No sign of any blanket that I gave him! And again I gave him some warm clothes....he thanked me...and I went on my way.

And so on and so on...like a never ending story! It realy frustrated me! I had given everything I got to give and nothing seemed to have changed! Like my help wasn't appreciated!

After I woke up...I heard his voice... all he said was..."You didn't ask..."

So what he was trying to show me...was that I never asked if he needed or wanted my help! I assumed he would be cold...I never asked if he realy was. I never asked why he was sitting there naked! My assumption about those things...caused my frustration, and even caused me to assume my help was not appreciated! I could not have been more wrong! I was not helping him...he was helping me...to see that I assume to much! And I'm giving energy (clothing) until I got nothing left to give...feeling down and frustrated...when it seems a bottomless pit! While all I had to do was....ASK! :laugh:

He seems to teach me all kinds of lessons and put me trough tests all the time!

Thank you all for sharing - very fascinating! :)

In my latest PL I had first my mother, grandmother and great-grandmother to look up to. Three generations of wise women that had been through a lot. Later, when I had moved away from my granny and granna, and my momma had died, I was living with my uncle, who was still pretty young. I admired him, and he was giving me a lot of good advice on how to survive as a young woman without my parents. He had his own life and he was no angel, but he was always kind to me and did the best he could so that I wouldn't get into trouble. The conditions just weren't the best you could imagine.

Later he had to put me in a foster home as he couldn't offer me a home himself anymore. He visited me, but a little later he disappeared and I never found out what happened. A couple of years ago in this life I had a dream about him, and I thought he was my spirit guide as I didn't remember him from this PL yet. Well, maybe he is, who knows.

Another mentor I remember was a foster mother I lived with in Sweden about 100 years ago. I went to live with her when I was maybe 6-8 years old. She was a kind of hermit, and we lived alone on a small island. She gathered herbs for healing purposes and taught me a lot about them and other things, too. I loved her dearly, but she was considered weird by the rest of society. I was taken away from her when I was arround 10 years old and I never saw her again.

Karoliina

Remembering those who were important to us in a past life is definitely a blessing. ;) Does anyone else have a memory of a past life mentor that they'd like to share?

Aili

Thank you for sharing your stories, everyone! I enjoyed reading them very much!

I only remember one person who could qualify as a past-life mentor, and that was Richard Tarleton, a player, dancer and clown. I came across him by accident, after the bricklayer I had been apprenticed to had thrown me out, and even though I was nineteen or twenty already, I was too afraid of my "wonderful" father to go home. I wandered through London, not really knowing what to do, and literally bumped into him. He took me home, gave me a job as a pot-boy at his inn, and when he noticed that I had an interest in acting and some talent for it, he taught me how to become a player. I became very fond of him, and when he died in 1588 I felt as if I'd lost a "real" family member.

Aww Reynardine! Your story is so sweet! I really don't think that there are very many alive today that would take someone off the streets in and give them a job, I'm guessing it was also rare then. :D hug2.gif

Thanks, VanH! Yes, it was rare then, too, but Tarleton was always like that, he would have given the shirt off his back to anyone who needed it. He really was a wonderful person! He always used to say that people had helped him when he first came to London as a young man, and he was trying to repay the kindness. But I think helpfulness was in his nature, he would have done so even if nobody had helped him earlier. He would have made a wonderful "grandfather" for our daughter and our apprentice/foster son, it's a pity he didn't live long enough...

I know a man in this life, who has fallen upon somewhat hard times, drinks too much and has a disability from an accident and so on, but is a very intelligent and sweet man in many ways. I was instantly drawn to him when I met him. He is a foreigner and his English is OK, but he has quite a heavy accent and had trouble making himself understood, but I understood him alright. He seemed very sad and quite shy and reserved, and was consequently quite lonely as well. His life story is very tragic, but he doesn't tell too many people about it. I began to draw him out a bit, include him in social gatherings and in general tried to cheer him up by taking an interest in him, swapping books and such.

One day, sitting across from him at a table I suddenly 'recognised him'. There was something about his expression, or the way he was sitting, or something. I could just tell he was once a former martial arts instructor of mine at one time - my 'master' - and someone I had much admired and respected in that life. Suddenly I knew it was very important to try to lift him up a bit, because he had burdened himself with so much hardship in this life that he was in danger of sinking. (He often talked of suicide and despair for instance).

A year or so has passed since then and his life has improved a great deal, with a slightly wider circle of friends his English has got much better and with some practical help I have been able to steer him in the direction of (not least insisting he go to AA. He still drinks, but nothing like before). I just felt it was my duty to help him and to restore some of his former dignity. I could not bear to see him in such a state. This was a simple matter of showing him a measure of the deep respect I once had for him. I have great faith that he is back on the right path now. Seeing him smile, which he does more often these days, fills me with deep joy.

That is simply - a beautiful story, Tanguerra.

It also struck me - as a wonderful example of the continuity between souls, and illustrates beautifully why reincarnation is such a gift. It's fantastic that you were able to remember where your connection came from - and reach out and help him turn his life around. Good on ya! :D

Thank you for sharing!

Thank you Ailish. It is my duty, but also a pleasure, to be of any assistance to my former master, in however small a way.

I try to behave well towards everyone, but there is the occasional one who is more special than others. It is good to understand why this is.

I am very fortunate to have this 'gift' of being able to remember things and recognise people. I knew there was something about this man when I met him - I got that 'funny feeling' I am familiar with. There is nothing romantic about our friendship in any way, but there is a feeling of familiarity and ease that even he feels and remarks about now and again. (I have not mentioned any of the past life stuff to him. He probably would not understand where I was coming from and it might frighten him.)

Do any new members recall a lifetime where a mentor influenced your lives in a positive way? What knowledge or skill did they help you to learn? Did you bring any of those lessons forward into your present life?

Oh yes. He was a great friend & mentor to me during our lifetime together. He taught me how to be a great man, leader, & healer. I suppose one would call him something of a "guru" nowadays. He was extremely enlightened during our lifetime together.

I am very fortunate though as he is now my main spirit guide in this lifetime.

Sincerely,

Laurasia

One time I had a very scholarly father who knew a lot of things, especially from books and taught them to others, even if he didn't need to. I probably benefited from it. But no concrete memory resurfaced.

MY father as a mentor when he let me know about the carp legend among other things, teaching me how to catch a crab...they are only small details. Unfortunately I don't have active remembrance of what was taught to me or how.

I never thought about him as a mentor, more of a protector and someone who was there in my time of need. I was 18 in this life and had to move to Germany again, a place I hated since I went to school there for a while and let's just say it was a replay of my life during WWII. I hated that place and felt threatened and then met this guy who became one of my closest friends, though that took a while. Like I said, I was 18, he was 23 and thus to me a very wise human being. He had a girlfriend and the one thing that pained me, was that I didn't belong to his group of friends, I *had* to be a part of it. I ended up in his home country some years later and he decided that I was his little sister. I'd always wanted an older brother and that pain of not having one, only went away when I met my friend and he adopted me as his little sister, something he told everyone.

He taught me everything that I needed to know when I was trying to make it on my own and then some. And he did feel like my brother, he did everything that an older brother should do. Most importantly of all, he was always there. I didn't realize it then but looking back on it now, he imparted life lessons that I couldn't have learned in college, even beyond the clichés. Through him, I learned to suss out different types of people and to deal with them. And as he also believed in reincarnation, it was possible for me to develop in that field as well, look into my past, knowing he would be there to catch me if need be.

Turns out we were brother and sister in a concentration camp, he was older back then as well and I'm sure he protected me or tried to because he died before me and I witnessed my entire family die before they got to me. When we met, even though I was a child when I died, he continued where we'd left off, he mentored me, gave me guidance and was basically there for me, imparting his wisdom and being there. We told everyone we were half brother and sister and even his childhood friends believed him when he said that we had only recently found out, such was the energy between us.

I have a sneaking suspicion that two people in my life have been designated as mentors / guides. Perhaps that's not extraordinary but they seem to be the ones that hurt me the most. Or rather, they come into my life via a song (it's always music for some reason), I meet them, the recall from the past is to intense it threatens to kill me and then, they disappear, leaving me hurt and unable to deal with it. This has happened twice and with two different people and I bounce back but it's an interesting pattern. A fortune teller told me that my mission in this life is forgiveness, which I achieved with the first person but not with the second, who reminds me of that life in the camp.

This is an old yet interesting thread. Psyforce's example made me smile. I think it's amazing when you remember someone from a PL teaching you such things then, and somehow continuing to do so now.

I recall having a mentor who was a Buddhist monk, in Japan possibly. Maybe Nepal, not sure. He taught me a lot about the value of life, especially since we were in a time of war, and I was always very frustrated and stressed about everything.

I recall one specific memory where we were walking together through the woods on a mountain. It was a very clear and sunny day and the temperature was maybe 60-65 degrees F. It was breezy. We were just taking a quiet peaceful walk because it would "calm my nerves" he had said. I had let my hair down instead of in the bun that it always was, and was walking barefoot. We sat in the grass on the side of a hill on the mountain that overlooked the valley below. It was breath taking sight. We didn't speak for a while. He was meditating and I was watching in fascination everything else. When I was back at my place of residence with my family and going about usual tasks, I felt a detachment to the world. My family wasn't religious, spiritual, anything. To them, nature was nature, the world was the world, and nothing really ever fascinated them. Or at least, not that I could tell. Here, I felt alive and could feel the life in everything. I asked him if living at the monastery, although so isolated, made him feel like part of the universe. In his quiet calm voice, he spoke about how everything was interconnected and how what we do now influences the past and the future. A butterfly landed on his hand and he gave it to me. It sat on my finger and walked around a bit.

"The world looks at creatures such as these, thinking of how insignificant they must be. But this creature is connected to you, as it is to me, and we are all connected to the universe. Destroying such a precious thing as life, we are causing the destruction of ourselves."

I nodded, and as the butterfly flew away, I sat quietly thinking about what he said.

My mother from my most recent PL (Cuban PL) was a very good woman, and she was always very happy. She didn't let anything get her down. She used to say that unless something was done, pessimism would be the downfall of man. My father was pessimistic and used to argue that he wasn't a pessimist, he was just a realist. His attitude changed after Batista was runout.

I'd be curious to see what others have to say.

I've had two dreams, one a memory, but the other was like a combination of memories and being shown my beginnings in the Reichsmarine.

I was taken around by Admiral Doenitz and he just showed me my early time when I first joined the Navy - 1933.

He is the only 'superior' that I have ever dreamt about.

I've never dreamt about my mother, my father isn't even on the radar. I also had a stepmother and stepfather back then too - but they're essentially non-existent.

At a young age, I was often put into positions of authority rather early due to someone often 'bailing out' because they couldn't handle the responsibility. This happened while I was in the Handelsmarine (as I have written to my mother about it). Some historical records stated the same sort of thing happened while I was in a volunteer work group in '32 and that's how I rose quickly to a place of authority.

So I do not have really any 'mentors' so to speak. It's just me and God.

I don't think I've had much in the line of "mentors", which may explain my lack of personal discipline these days! (Actually I think that has way more to do with this life than any past lives.) I do have one from this life who taught me much, and I'm sure she's passed over by now, but if I ever meet Stella Deebles again, I hope I recognize her. She had a major impact on my life. Involved heavily in my schooing, she couldn't have been attached to any one school district because she showed up at every school I attended regardless of what state it was in.

Things get really weird, because I don't recall anyone telling me to go see her at school. She would come up to me on the playground and call me into her office, where we would do academic tests, reading comprehension, etc. Then I'd be dismissed and it was like the day had barely passed. I was never late for class. I've searched school records for administrators and teachers, but Mrs. Deebles doesn't show up anywhere.

I did entertain a crazy notion once, that it might not be a coincidence that her name was "Stella", as in "stellar"...

Stella

That is awesome, Shiftkitty. My guess is you were seen by your guardian angel, not just a teacher. And, I have no doubt that when you need her she will show up again.

Thanks. I always felt so calm around her, like I could tell her anything. She understood me on a level my own parents probably never could. I was a real scrapper, always getting into fights, and she would never judge. She would hear my story and ask "Was there another way you could have handled that?" Sometimes there wasn't. Sometimes the only way to resolve things was to make the other kid eat blacktop. But she never said it was right or wrong. It was gentle pressure to make sure I was thinking before acting.

I always had an interest in politics, even as a kid, and I remember studying (in 4th grade no less) some intensive material about how our government works. I'm not talking "Let's Go Visit the White House!" little kid books, I was reading at college level easily, and the books I read showed it. I remember this book was "American Government", and it was a text from San Jose State University. After I had finished the book she called me into her office and we talked about it. I showed a really good grasp of our system. At the end of the meeting she told me to stay out of politics. I could study it all I wanted, but I mustn't choose it as a career path. I asked why, and she just shook her head and said not to do it. I've honored that request.

Do you know what I give to finally find out just who she was? Maybe she was someone from a PL that I just can't remember. I do know that in this lifetime, I will never forget.

Mentors in a previous / current life

There isn't anyone off the top of my head I would think of as a past life mentor but the idea got me to thinking.

If we were choosing a new set of parents to live with would we not pick them as our preferred mentors for a life?

Then this made me think of my own mother and father who were involved in state of the art communications back in 1952 - 1962. They were telegraph operators.

Had my spirit been interested in learning about this new communications technology they would have been the parents to be born too.

An idea that never even occurred to me until this thread started.

And having been a stone mason in a previous life, I was probably looking for an easier occupation in my new life that required a lot less hammering, chiseling and heavy lifting.

Arnold Vinette

I'm not sure I would have chosen a maintenance man and a waitress, but I'm glad that's where I wound up. You learn a lot of self-reliance when things like going to college and not being vulnerable to eviction aren't a given.

The people I chose were a man with perhaps the biggest heart one could ever imagine and the spitfire wife who made sure he wasn't taken advantage of all the time. They were also people who chose to raise us by the golden rule rather than sitting in church each weekend.

I have no doubt that their influences made me who I am today. Had I been raised in a more strict way I do not feel I would have been open enough to allow myself to experience what I have.

The children who chose me I feel did so so that I would be there to foster their experiences and allow them to grow along the path they were given. Had I been raised the same as their father they would have been not believed, or worse yet, medicated to make it all go away.

I have not yet figured out why the little spirit who was once the baby born on the Mayflower chose me to be his mother, although he was never born to me. He was my first miscarriage.

Back