• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

Similarities between the Orphic Egg and the Shivalingam...

Ajay0

Studying the Orphic Egg of the ancient Greek Orphic tradition recently, I was pleasantly surprised by its similarities to the Shivalingam in Hinduism.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orphic_Egg

The Orphic Egg is considered the Father or creator of all the Greek gods.

The Shivalingam in Hinduism is also considered the cosmic egg from which sprang forth everything in the material universe, including the gods, at the time of creation, and they will all return back to the Shivalingam at the time of cosmic dissolution.

The Prajapita Brahmakumaris consider the Shivalingam as representing God Shiva as an incorporeal point of light, and the Father of all the Hindu gods and sentient beings, and the same as Jehovah, Ahura Mazda, Allah, Waheguru in the other monotheistic religions.

The Prajapita Brahmakumaris and the Greek orphic religion also hold reincarnation as an integral part of its religious doctrine.

8cc233_1e859d1b689a48daa8e527330fc2b689~mv2.jpg

Like the Orphic Egg, the Shivalingam is often depicted with a serpent wound about it.

It is possible that there is a common link and origin to these traditions.

This is the first time I've heard about this, I wonder why this wasn't mentioned in many movies revolving around Greek gods.

This is the first time I've heard about this, I wonder why this wasn't mentioned in many movies revolving around Greek gods.

The same is the case with the Shivalingam in Hinduism. There are numerous films and serials on the Hindu gods and goddesses, but this fact is not mentioned much ( of their originating from the Shivalingam).

The Shivalingam is considered the greatest of the gods and goddesses and worshipped by them as well, and the Panchakshari Mantra 'Om Namah Shivaya' is considered as the greatest mantra in Hinduism as well. The Shivalingam is also the only deity in Hinduism who is non-anthropomorphic and considered synonymous with light. Jyotirlingam is also an another name for the Shivalingam, with 'Jyoti' meaning light.

In fact, in ancient India there were only temples dedicated to the non-anthropomorphic Shivalingam and nothing else. The excavations in Mohenjodaro and Harrapa of the ancient Indus valley civilizations revealed many Shivalingams but not temples with idols of gods and goddesses.

In the Hindu scriptures you can similarly see the Avatars like Parashurama, Rama and Krishna worshipping the Shivalingam.

Anthropomorphic idol worship started later in Hinduism emulating the idol worship of Buddha and Mahavira in Buddhist and Jain temples in India. In this way, through imitating the practices of the Buddhists and Jains, anthropomorphic idols of Krishna, Rama and the goddesses came about to be worshipped in Hinduism.

But amongst these anthropomorphic idols too, the first priority in terms of worship was given to the Shivalingam. One had to worship the Shivalingam first before worshipping the anthropomorphic idols of the gods and goddesses.

In any major temple in India, you can find a tradition of worshipping the Shivalingam first before worshipping the idols of Vishnu, Rama, Krishna, Divine Mother, or any other gods or goddesses.

In the famous Guruvayoor temple of Krishna in south India, there is a tradition of worshipping the Shivalingam at the Mamiyoor Shiva temple prior to worshipping at the Guruvayoor temple.

Similarly in the Rama temple next to Guruvayoor in Triprayar, there is a tradition of worshipping the Shivalingam at the Melthrikovil Shiva temple prior to worshipping at the Sri Rama temple.

Similarly in the famous Kodungallur Devi temple nearby as well, there is a tradition of worshipping the Shivalingam at the Thiruvanchikulam Shiva temple prior to worshipping at the temple of the goddess.

But with the progression of time, much of these customs became diluted or unknown, and most people worship just the anthropomorphic idols, as they are easier to relate to because of their human figures.

More information in this regard can be found in this below article on the Shivalingam by the Hindu spiritual master Sri Sri Ravi Shankar....

https://www.artofliving.org/in-bn/wisdom-q-a-29-november-2012-qa-2?mobile=1

Now, why did the practice of having idols begin?

This was because by seeing the idol a feeling of devotion would arise from within.

The other reason is that when Buddhists and Jains made their temples they would place such beautiful idols at the altar. So then those who followed Sanatan Dharma felt that they should also do something like this. So they also followed the same and began to establish different idols of Lord Vishnu, Lord Rama and Lord Krishna.

You will not find any mention of a practice of installing idols for worship in the Bhagavad Gita or the Ramayana.
Only the Shiva Linga (Shankar Linga) was installed. That is why only the Shiva Linga was there in the ancient period, which was worshiped by Lord Krishna, Lord Rama and everyone else. ~ Sri Sri Ravi Shankar

Interesting. I knew this, although with other names. I guess this depends on who is telling you the systems. The part of the Sivalingham is new to me.

Your words remind me of the Kogi, a native Indian tribe in Colombia. They tell us that we come from a womb-like sea of origin. The adult men of the tribe walk around with a gourd (lingham) as a reminder that duality brings life as we know it. (back into the womb, there is no duality, but no physical life as well)

pedro-poporo-coca-leaves-kogui.jpg

The same is the case with the Shivalingam in Hinduism. There are numerous films and serials on the Hindu gods and goddesses, but this fact is not mentioned much ( of their originating from the Shivalingam).

The Shivalingam is considered the greatest of the gods and goddesses and worshipped by them as well, and the Panchakshari Mantra 'Om Namah Shivaya' is considered as the greatest mantra in Hinduism as well. The Shivalingam is also the only deity in Hinduism who is non-anthropomorphic and considered synonymous with light. Jyotirlingam is also an another name for the Shivalingam, with 'Jyoti' meaning light.

In fact, in ancient India there were only temples dedicated to the non-anthropomorphic Shivalingam and nothing else. The excavations in Mohenjodaro and Harrapa of the ancient Indus valley civilizations revealed many Shivalingams but not temples with idols of gods and goddesses.

In the Hindu scriptures you can similarly see the Avatars like Parashurama, Rama and Krishna worshipping the Shivalingam.

Anthropomorphic idol worship started later in Hinduism emulating the idol worship of Buddha and Mahavira in Buddhist and Jain temples in India. In this way, through imitating the practices of the Buddhists and Jains, anthropomorphic idols of Krishna, Rama and the goddesses came about to be worshipped in Hinduism.

But amongst these anthropomorphic idols too, the first priority in terms of worship was given to the Shivalingam. One had to worship the Shivalingam first before worshipping the anthropomorphic idols of the gods and goddesses.

In any major temple in India, you can find a tradition of worshipping the Shivalingam first before worshipping the idols of Vishnu, Rama, Krishna, Divine Mother, or any other gods or goddesses.

In the famous Guruvayoor temple of Krishna in south India, there is a tradition of worshipping the Shivalingam at the Mamiyoor Shiva temple prior to worshipping at the Guruvayoor temple.

Similarly in the Rama temple next to Guruvayoor in Triprayar, there is a tradition of worshipping the Shivalingam at the Melthrikovil Shiva temple prior to worshipping at the Sri Rama temple.

Similarly in the famous Kodungallur Devi temple nearby as well, there is a tradition of worshipping the Shivalingam at the Thiruvanchikulam Shiva temple prior to worshipping at the temple of the goddess.

But with the progression of time, much of these customs became diluted or unknown, and most people worship just the anthropomorphic idols, as they are easier to relate to because of their human figures.

More information in this regard can be found in this below article on the Shivalingam by the Hindu spiritual master Sri Sri Ravi Shankar....

https://www.artofliving.org/in-bn/wisdom-q-a-29-november-2012-qa-2?mobile=1

That is just sad. From what you stated, it seems that the Shivalingam is still known so I kept thinking, that it's not only because of human figures that Shivalingam was forgotten, there may be other stronger reasons why people decided to not worship it anymore?

That is just sad. From what you stated, it seems that the Shivalingam is still known so I kept thinking, that it's not only because of human figures that Shivalingam was forgotten, there may be other stronger reasons why people decided to not worship it anymore?

You make me curious. What do you think why this change in the style of worshipping occurred?

It is possible that there is a common link and origin to these traditions.
I believe there is. I have studied this in great depth as it pertains to the Christian Bible.

I will add to this discussion by posting what I believe to be the Orphic Egg in the Book of Genesis...

Genesis 2:9
"And out of the ground made the LORD God to grow every tree that is pleasant to the sight, and good for food; the tree of life also in the midst of the garden, and the tree of knowledge of good and evil."

To most Christians, the Forbidden Fruit is a great mystery. This is because the Truth is hidden from them. Reincarnation is a prime example of this.

The Forbidden Fruit was non other than the World Egg.

Here is a quick summary of what I have discovered:
  • The Garden of Eden was a 'Pre-Universe' type of reality (non physical)
  • The Universe as we know it now had not been created yet
  • The Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil was Feminine
  • More specifically, the Tree represented the Earth Mother (Gaia/Mystery Babylon)
  • The Forbidden Fruit was an Ovum (Seed of the Woman)
  • It was fertilized by the Seed of the Serpent (Satan)
  • The Seed of the Serpent combined with the Seed of the Woman to produce a Zygote (World Egg)
The only thing left was for an unsuspecting Spirit/Soul to partake of said Egg in order to incarnate (Conception). Not just incarnate into a new body however, but a new Universe as well.

By partaking of the Forbidden Fruit, Adam and Eve birthed our Universe. As a tragic result, they died in the process, just as they were warned...

Genesis 2:17
"But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die."

Christians hide this fact by saying that they 'died spiritually' in order to cover up that fact that God had to REINCARNATE them into the bodies we have now and into this physical existence.

The Seed of the Serpent is in all DNA of every life form on the planet. In fact, the Seed of the Serpent is what we call Sperm, produced by all Males.

As a side note, the Lake of Fire is simply a Portal into the past. It is the entrance into the Orphic Egg where the Head meets the Tail of the Ouroboros Time Loop.

Those thrown into the Lake of Fire are Reincarnated. This is another fact the Church hides from the public.

Back