• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

The case of Jesper Bood (hypnotic regression)

Titus Rivas

Senior Registered
Journalist CHRIS MOONEY has written the following article in the Evening News of January 22nd 2004:

A SWEDISH man has stunned experts by claiming to have lived as boy in Dunbar 150 years ago. Jesper Bood, 29, was able to describe the town in astonishing detail after being hypnotised for a documentary about reincarnation, despite never having been to Scotland.

On a visit to the East Lothian town this week, he left locals open-mouthed with his intimate knowledge of a town he said he has never visited before.
He believes he once lived as an eight-year-old Dunbar schoolboy in 1860, and even drew a map of the town blind to prove it.

Local historian Roy Pugh, who has written a book on the history of the town, said he experienced a "shiver in the spine" when he met Mr Bood.
Mr Pugh, who had been invited to act as a researcher and adviser to TV crews from Swedish programme makers Strix Television AB, said: "It basically comes down to whether or not you believe in reincarnation.

"I have to be honest and say I was completely sceptical about the whole idea. But in two days when I walked about Dunbar with this young man,
I now know what it means to experience a shiver in the spine and a curious feeling in the hairs on the back of my neck."
Mr Pugh said he was convinced of Mr Bood’s sincerity, adding that some of the information he had to hand would be extremely difficult to find, particularly for someone living in Sweden.

Under hypnosis in Stockholm, Mr Bood said he’d been born John Smith in Dunbar in 1852, that he’d been a fisherman, and gave his parents’ names as blacksmith John Smith senior and Mary Craig. Local census and registrar records confirm these names really existed.
A later census gives the name of John Smith, aged 30, a fisherman married to Elizabeth. Mr Bood had called his wife Betsy or Bessie while hypnotised. The family lived in Public Road, Gateside, on what is now the A1 between West Barns and East Linton. The community no longer exists, but historical records show a blacksmith’s forge once operated there.
Mr Bood spoke of taking a 30-minute walk to school in the 19th century. Describing Dunbar Parish Church, he said: "It was the first building I saw when I went to school every morning. I knew it was close to the sea and that I could see it from my classroom window, it being diagonally opposite the school."
Mr Pugh said this, and more from Mr Bood, was an accurate description of the church and the former Woodbush School, which was knocked down after it closed in the 1950s.
He also described in detail the site of a fisherman’s tavern in Lamer Street, which had a green sign hanging from the door. The site he identified on his visit was The Creel Restaurant, which was once the Jersey Arms, a well-known fisherman’s haunt.

Archie Lawrie, secretary of the Scottish Society for Psychical Research, said he had come across similar cases before.
He said other explanations for a person having visions of a place they had never been to included a harmless form of possession of a human by spirits, a theory he said he believes in rather than reincarnation. "Reincarnation worries me because it says that you get another crack at life. I doubt this is the case and have personally not seen any cases I can consider to back this kind of thing up."

Does anyone have more information about this interesting case?

Titus

Hi Titus,

Here´s the site of the show. In swedish, unfortunately....

But you could probably reach someone for further direction on the e-mail adress below...

info@kanal5.se

And I made myself look up the website of the production company, Strix ...I personally hold a strongly negative opinion of the rest of their shows(this one and one on psychic activity being the exceptions)...realityTV...yeeech!;) ...

http://www.strix.se/

Jan Dalkvist

Hi Shield,

Thanks! Do you by any chance know a Swedish researcher by the name of Dr. Jan Dalkvist? He would be a Swedish parapsychologist and might be interested in the case according to Dutch Prof. Dr. Hans Gerding.

Titus

Hi Titus,

I don´t know of him but found some info on the internet

Born in 1940 teaching, teaching and doing research at Stockholm university.
Since ´93 he´s head of a project on telepathy at the Psychology dep. there.

You might want to check google for possible more:) .

Regressions

Thanks for the information, Shield!!

Plat, I'm afraid most regressions don't supply a lot of verifiable elements, so that makes this case quite unique. It doesn't hurt to try though.

Titus

Jesper Bood has contacted me

I've been approached by none other than Jesper Bood himself.

Here are some extracts from our e-mail exchange:

There is more in that show that wasn´t shown, both correct things and not
correct stuff. The church for instance didn´t resemble what I saw during
regression except for the Absid part, that I could point out for instance.

I myself work as a hypnotherapist, and I experience regressions through
other people weekly, but that unfortunately gives me little or no time to
experience more of my own inner stuff so to speak.

When asked whether some of his claimed memories could be based on cryptomnesia, Jesper Bood told me:

Some memories are bound to be explained by that, but not entirely. I
suspected for a long time that my experience in the TV-show was partly based
on the Tintin-adventure "The Black Island", that I read when I was a kid,
but very little was gotten from there when I looked into it, so... I know
cryptomnesia is a popular conviction among sceptics as an "only"
explanation, but I think it´s a bit more complicated than just black or
white ;)

Titus

Some passages from a book by Annekatrin Puhle

In November 2004 I met Annekatrin Puhle, who together with Adrian Parker studied the case of Jesper Bood. Here are some translated passages from her book Lexikon der Geister (Munich, 2004):

In the second part of the Swedish TV-series "Tidigare Liv" (Previous Lives)
the 29-year-old literature student Jesper Bood from Jönköping (South-Sweden)
is looking for signs that he has lived before. Led by therapist Jörgen
Sundvall he is really transferred to a former age by a so called regression
session. (...) He tells that he used to live in the Scottish town of Dunber
as the fisherman John Smith. (...) After his regression he writes down what
he's experienced: in what part of Scotland Dunber is located and what the
buildings and other things look like over there. It turns out that Dunber is
written as Dunbar (...) but the town is exactly located on the spot
indicated by Jesper.
Jesper (...) does not know that we have really found the town. He told us a
lot about his early childhood, that he lived close to a swamp and described
what the town looked like from that spot. He mentioned a church and a school
to which he used to go. Jesper even mentioned that both girls and boys went
to his school and that his father used to earn his money as a blacksmith.
During his search for signs Jesper gets help from the local historian Roy
Pugh. (Parts from Internet summary of the second part of the series Tidigare
Liv").

Annekatrin Puhle goes on to say that Jesper Bood had never been in Scotland before the
regression and that it was the TV-team that took him there. There would have
been lots of facts that were verified during his stay. Apart from the ones
mentioned in the summary:
(...) he mentioned his year of birth, 1852. (...)
Through the assistance of historian Roy Pugh it was possible to trace the
John Smith, which was not very common in this part of Scotland, in the
church records: A person called John Smith was born in September 1852 and
baptized on October 18th. His father's name was also John Smith, his
profession blacksmith, the name of his mother was Mary Craig, just like
Jesper had stated.
Puhle also mentions that he would have had a
friend with the surname Wilson and that there would have been several
families of fishermen by this name. Bood would also have said that he lived
in a brown wooden house in the Public Road, Gateside, and it was found out
that there really used to be such houses there. It would even have been
established that there used to be a blacksmith there.

Then, he would have recalled that it took half an hour to reach his school
and described the Parish Curch, the first building that he used to see on
his way to school, close to a sea. He could see it through the window of
his class room.
The school would have had a U-shape and three floors. According to Roy Pugh,
he would also have given a correct description of the old church (glass)
windows and of the former Woodbush School, broken down after 1950.
He also described a pub, the Fisherman's Tavern in the Lamer Street with a
green shield. Bood recognised the tavern in The Creel Restaurant that used to
be called Jersey Arms, a well-known pub for fishermen. They served a very
old type of beer which reminded him of the symbol of Fisherman's friend. He
had mentioned that it was run by a woman, and this turned out to be correct.
Finally, Jesper Bood drew a sketch of five places after the hypnotic session: church,
school, high street, methodist church and harbour. The spatial relations
between these places exactly corresponded with the geographical location of
all these five places.
Just one of his statements was found to be incorrect, namely about the
shape of the contemporary church tower. He also recalled that he drowned
and this could not be verified either.

Jesper Bood responded to this as follows:
As I see it, the statements above are correct, but there were things left
out of course, that were not possible to verify: a loveaffair with a married
woman in a textileshop, that could POSSIBLY have been on the main street,
but not varified.
One thing I find interesting is that another church we visited, close to the
one I mentioned where only the absid was correct, where I pointed out that
it had been a sort of a monks-place where they helped locals in a samaritan
way. This is not very wellknown today, but could have been common knowledge
a hundred years ago....

Titus

Yes, I saw that episode. It was one of the most convincing ones. I was astonished of the moment when the person during hypnosis was gasping for air like he was drowning. Of course the program was edited afterwards to enhance the feeling of accuracy. The question is why this person who lived the life of a fisherman didn't have any interest in fishing or boats at all in present life.

Kanal 5

Hello Basse,

Perhaps you could get in touch with the Swedish television station?

I'm very curious about the opinion of Kanal 5 concerning the extent to which the correct statements Jesper Bood made about his possible previous life in Scotland could be explained by hidden memories from books or movies (cryptomnesia). I sent them an e-mail last week, but still haven't received any reply.

As shield told us, their e-mail address is: info@kanal5.se, but you'll first receive an automatic reply from them.

Titus

Titus Rivas said:
Hello Basse,

Perhaps you could get in touch with the Swedish television station?

I'm very curious about the opinion of Kanal 5 concerning the extent to which the correct statements Jesper Bood made about his possible previous life in Scotland could be explained by hidden memories from books or movies (cryptomnesia). I sent them an e-mail last week, but still haven't received any reply.

As shield told us, their e-mail address is: info@kanal5.se, but you'll first receive an automatic reply from them.

Titus

Hi there, about the TV-network; I also sent them some questions concerning other topics, you will get an answer, but it takes a while. They're lazy and they take their time to send a reply. I doubt they will give you a detailed answer about the case. Maybe they will refer to someone else. Why not ask the person himself?

I sense a certain level of scepticism from you Titus. That's healthy. I aslo think some past lives experiences are due to hidden memories. Maybe you are not aware of something you read or watched for a split second 20 years ago. I think at least 50% of all past lives experienses easily could be explained by impressions you had in present life.

Hello Basse,

I think we just need to be patient then :rolleyes:

I really hope Jesper Bood's memories turn out to be inexplicable by cryptomnesia, as good hypnosis cases still remain rare in the field of reincarnation research.

Titus

Does this Swedish television show still aire?

Or, do they have other reincarnation television shows? They seem pretty open to the entire reincarnation topic. :thumbsup:

lagrima said:
Does this Swedish television show still aire?

Or, do they have other reincarnation television shows? They seem pretty open to the entire reincarnation topic. :thumbsup:

Unfortunately not any more, it was one serial a few years ago with 10(?) programs only.
I think they sold the concept to Norway too.

I couldn't imagine the state TV in Sweden make such a show - this was made by a independent production company for a commercial channel (5).
It's not anymore fundamentalist christian views stopping these kind of thoughts in Sweden, it's instead scienticm & reductionist views ruling all official functions of this society.

Now we have another show near this subject (Det Okända/The Unknown) about ghost haunted families in another commercial cable/satellite channel (4+) quite few can watch.. A psychic medium comes to a family, feels/tell what had happened & if they find earth bound spirits, tries to convince them to go to the light. The tv team then search in archives to confirm whatever names or dates the medium could catch. A couple of times in the Swedish show & a few more times in the earlier Danish version of this show, the evidence from archives was compelling.
They covered OutOfBody experiences in one program - naturally a representant from the local CSICOP had to be there to ridicule.
In a coming program they will show psychometry. That'll be interesting :thumbsup:

Swedish Channel 5 actually dropped these kind of shows to get rid of the beginning Mumbo-Jumbo-profile they built up with a couple of shows, and even if the Tidigare Liv-show had very good ratings, they didn´t follow it up with a second round.

Several causes to this could explain it. Like I said, channel 5 did not want that kind of reputation, and also the production-company behind Tidigare Liv (strix) have a boss who is an extreme skepticist (also rewarded by the main sceptic order in Sweden VoF as the "enlighter of the year" in his pursuit of charlatans claiming to be psychic or genuine fortunetellers)

Titus Rivas said:
Archie Lawrie, secretary of the Scottish Society for Psychical Research, said he had come across similar cases before. He said other explanations for a person having visions of a place they had never been to included a harmless form of possession of a human by spirits, a theory he said he believes in rather than reincarnation. "Reincarnation worries me because it says that you get another crack at life. I doubt this is the case and have personally not seen any cases I can consider to back this kind of thing up."
I have to say that this is the first time I've seen involuntary spirit possession put forth as a more likely occurrence than reincarnation! I don't know the overall credentials for this SSPR, but avoiding an idea because it worries you is not exactly a scientific approach, and what you "can consider" is not a criterion for scientific inquiry.

(My own views on possession are similar to M. Scott Peck's: that it's not going to happen without consent from the incarnate person.)

I'm left wondering to what extent a person in a position of authority may go to, to suppress things that worry him.

And as for cryptomnesia, I say show me the book, movie, or TV show that has such mundane details that check out against historical documents. :)

Some news from Jesper

Hi Kimba W. Lion,

I actually agree with you that the hypotheses of cryptomnesia seems far-fetched. In my view, possession is even less plausible, as within my general theory possession is really a special case of (partial) reincarnation.

In the meantime, Jesper sent me another message. He states:
Someone who saw the show had posted that it´s funny that someone reborn from being a fisherman isn´t the least interested in fish and sea.

That made me remember one thing (I haven´t seen the episode myself for maybe a year now, so it´s not very clear to me), they actually focused on my
fishphobia while recorded it, but for some reason let that go. As a matter
of fact I have for all my life been afraid of open water and fish (can´t
touch one, I can´t stand the smell, I rather not bathe in open water). This
was triggered when I was young by a near-drowning-experience, so it might be echoes from there, but 2 interesting thoughts here:

1. when you trigger a phobia, where does it come from originally? For me, I
have recalled several past-life-experiences that are, to be a bit TS Eliot,
Death near water. This could be that I still in my subconcious try to
reenact what I went through in childhood, or that my childhood triggered a
lot of sequences from my past lives.

2. the fisherman they suspected to be the actual john smith, died at sea at
a rescue, but from a heart attack, that has similar effect on the body.

I also have a history of panic anxiety, that was lost during the filming of
the program, and I have experienced a lot of these "fake heart attacks"
during panic anxiety seizures.

All this reminds me of several cases of young children who recalled a previous life ended by drowning, studied by Dr. Ian Stevenson.

Titus

I've been wanting to read this thread for ages, and finally got a chance to.

About Jesper's phobia about fish: do you think it could be akin to the barriers I and my late companion Tom experienced, in regards to past life abilities? In this life Tom was an excellent pianist; in the last, an excellent painter. He never knew the details of his past life that I now recall, while he was still alive, but painting was his hobby - something he did very badly, and that quality puzzled him - he knew he should be able to do much better! I felt I should be able to act and write plays without any problem, but both are difficult for me; the same for playing instruments, but I am barred from doing these things well.

When I say barred, I mean there really do seem to be actual barriers, mental and physical, to doing these things again. For what I do in this lifetime, the doors are wide open, and I have no difficulty doing them; but I cannot repeat the talents as they existed in my past lives.

Could this be planned?

One other thing: from your first post, Titus, when Archie Lawrie said:

"Reincarnation worries me because it says that you get another crack at life. I doubt this is the case and have personally not seen any cases I can consider to back this kind of thing up."

This is so bizarre. I have heard almost the exact same thing from several hardline Christians. Why are they afraid of such an example of mercy? Or do they find life that unbearable?

Sandra

It makes sense to me, Sandra. Sort of like, "Been there, done that already." If an oversoul has a variety of talents to manifest in the lives of its different souls, it might as well ration them out, giving one talent to one soul's lifetime and another talent to another. Besides, if you were highly talented in a number of fields, you'd probably have a hard time deciding which one (or two) to pursue. Life is much simpler this way, imo.

Cheers,
Manjusri

Sandra said:
This is so bizarre. I have heard almost the exact same thing from several hardline Christians. Why are they afraid of such an example of mercy? Or do they find life that unbearable?

Sandra

To understand the hardline Christian view you have to understand their perspective. Getting another crack at life is starting all over again to them (from zero). Whereas reincarnation is not so much starting over as continuing on. Who wants to start all over again on something? I know I sure don't!

Lagrima:

Getting another crack at life is starting all over again to them (from zero). Whereas reincarnation is not so much starting over as continuing on. Who wants to start all over again on something? I know I sure don't!

I'm not sure I understand what you meant in the above. Start all over again on something?

I come from hardline Christians, too - one of the people I'm referring to actually said something on the terms of "what would we do without hell?" :confused:

Manjusri:

You're right! I've carried enough of each past talent forward to constantly be going :butbut: :butbut: :butbut: Next time I want to focus on one :thumbsup: I vote for beauty queen! : angel

;)

Sandra

Back on topic: Titus:

Do you know if Jesper had other kinds of recall before or after his hypnotic regression?

Sandra

Hi Sandra,

Sorry for the delay.

About Jesper's phobia about fish: do you think it could be akin to the barriers I and my late companion Tom experienced, in regards to past life abilities? In this life Tom was an excellent pianist; in the last, an excellent painter. He never knew the details of his past life that I now recall, while he was still alive, but painting was his hobby - something he did very badly, and that quality puzzled him - he knew he should be able to do much better! I felt I should be able to act and write plays without any problem, but both are difficult for me; the same for playing instruments, but I am barred from doing these things well.

When I say barred, I mean there really do seem to be actual barriers, mental and physical, to doing these things again. For what I do in this lifetime, the doors are wide open, and I have no difficulty doing them; but I cannot repeat the talents as they existed in my past lives.

Could this be planned?

I actually don't know but the idea does not appeal to me very much. There are many children with spontaneous memories who also show skills and strong talents related to their previous lives. I personally prefer to think that there are specific inhibitions, possibly related to an aversion connected to the former skill, such as in the case of Jesper Bood, an aversion of having to work as a fisher man. People can get fed up with things they used to like, as in the expression "to over-eat".
In other cases there may actually be neurological or physical obstacles, for example due to genetic factors. If you're reincarnated in a body with a generally poor motorical nervous system, it will affect all of your motor skills, etc.

One other thing: from your first post, Titus, when Archie Lawrie said:

Quote:
"Reincarnation worries me because it says that you get another crack at life. I doubt this is the case and have personally not seen any cases I can consider to back this kind of thing up."

Perhaps it has to do with their firm belief in traditional Christianity. In their view, believing in reincarnation would be incompatible with being a true Christian. It may also be that Archie Lawrie was simply unaware of the serious evidence in the field.

Do you know if Jesper had other kinds of recall before or after his hypnotic regression?

I actually don't know and will ask him.

Best wishes,

Titus

The idea of being barred from past life skills doesn't really appeal to me either, but in some ways I seem to be stuck with it. Some of it is because of physical factors, but I chose a family that carries the genetic tremor that bars me from doing the detailed motor work necessary for playing instruments and accurate painting. The barriers also nudged me into finding creative ways around them - surely there must be a purpose in that?

As for acting and writing plays - all the skills are in place. I lack the ambition to make them work. Somehow, that's not surprising, though. By the end of Will's life, he had lost all attachment to the plays. There was a dreadful disappointment in the theater. I feel much better about what I observe in theater now. I just don't have the ambition to be up there doing it all the time.

One thing has developed recently - how I approach art is quite different. I am even able to hold a sketching pencil properly again (by the tip, not the point end) and I was never able to be comfortable doing this before. I held a pencil like a writer, not an artist. Now I'm back to "older" habits! :D

Sandra

Hi Sandra,

I'm glad good things seem to be coming back.

About impediments, you asked:
surely there must be a purpose in that?

Well, that's really one of the most profound questions you can ask, namely whether absolutely everything is as it is supposed to be, or whether some things are simply negative, correctible byproducts of evolution or growth.

Titus

Sandra said:
As for acting and writing plays - all the skills are in place. I lack the ambition to make them work. Somehow, that's not surprising, though. By the end of Will's life, he had lost all attachment to the plays. There was a dreadful disappointment in the theater. I feel much better about what I observe in theater now. I just don't have the ambition to be up there doing it all the time.

I don´t wish to be a boring soul here, but do we really know who the person William Shakespeare was? There are a lot of question whether he was one person or several persons who wrote the plays.

I´m just curious how you know for a fact he had lost all attachement to the plays?

I also believe that there is a slight difference in the fact that you in a past life was a writer and now can´t write, and that you in a past life was a fisherman who drowned, and now have fishphobia.

lagrima said:
To understand the hardline Christian view you have to understand their perspective. Getting another crack at life is starting all over again to them (from zero). Whereas reincarnation is not so much starting over as continuing on. Who wants to start all over again on something? I know I sure don't!

But that´s what we do even in hindu or buddhist context. We are back from the beginning in a new body, which has to be de-programmed from the concept of maya - the great illusion.

Reincarnation does not mean you can just start from the next level. That is a new age-idea, not the intention from the old scriptures. Man is supposed to struggle to perfection, to be one with the supreme personality of Godhead. Or reach nirvana.

According to christian view, you end up in heaven or hell, and on the day of reckoning we will all be resurrected. But until then, we remain unborn.

Shamen,

I am a reincarnation of William Shakespeare.

No, he didn't write all of his plays by himself. A number of the plays were new versions of earlier plays written by other playwrights. Some were collaborative efforts. Over time, the other writers who should have been credited with their portions of the plays were sadly brushed aside - which was not a decision of WS's but of the company's. WS's name drew the crowds. When Hemminge and Condell published his plays after his death, they dropped references to any other writers altogether. Since then, a number of serious scholars have identified who the other writers were, by their writing styles. By comparing styles, they were also able to identify that WS co-wrote a play not included in the complete works, that I had always felt he had written - Edward III. I am particularly proud of a scene in that play involving the Countess of Salisbury, and would love to see a copy of the play again.

No, Edward de Vere and Francis Bacon were not among the playwrights who wrote the plays. Noblemen had no need of staging their plays publicly - they could do so privately, anytime they wished.

The earliest plays were largely co-written by several writers, and the last plays were co-written with others as well, primarily a man named John Fletcher. The styles of Fletcher and the newer playwrights did not appeal to WS; his inability to mount his plays as he would have wished had always drained him; he was ill; all rights to his plays belonged to the company, not him; and so he left the Globe tired and disillusioned in 1613. He died three years later.

Sandra

Sandra said:
Shamen,

I am a reincarnation of William Shakespeare.

No, he didn't write all of his plays by himself. A number of the plays were new versions of earlier plays written by other playwrights. Some were collaborative efforts. Over time, the other writers who should have been credited with their portions of the plays were sadly brushed aside - which was not a decision of WS's but of the company's. WS's name drew the crowds. When Hemminge and Condell published his plays after his death, they dropped references to any other writers altogether. Since then, a number of serious scholars have identified who the other writers were, by their writing styles. By comparing styles, they were also able to identify that WS co-wrote a play not included in the complete works, that I had always felt he had written - Edward III. I am particularly proud of a scene in that play involving the Countess of Salisbury, and would love to see a copy of the play again.

No, Edward de Vere and Francis Bacon were not among the playwrights who wrote the plays. Noblemen had no need of staging their plays publicly - they could do so privately, anytime they wished.

The earliest plays were largely co-written by several writers, and the last plays were co-written with others as well, primarily a man named John Fletcher. The styles of Fletcher and the newer playwrights did not appeal to WS; his inability to mount his plays as he would have wished had always drained him; he was ill; all rights to his plays belonged to the company, not him; and so he left the Globe tired and disillusioned in 1613. He died three years later.

Sandra

I see. I hope I am not being rude, I am not trying to disprove your "reincarnationhood" here. But I wonder where you got these facts? Is there a reliable source on the matter?

what do you think of the theory that suggests Shakey and Kit Marlowe are the same persons? Just curious.

Shamen,

Part is memory, and part is what I learned after the memories. What I learned verified the memories I had.

The only people who theorize that Kit and WS were the same person are those who never have really looked at either's work or lifetimes.

This thread is not on WS, however, and I only went off topic to answer your original question.

Sandra

Back