• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

What Extra Abilities Do You Have?

What Extra Abilities Do You Have?

• Astral Projection

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Shared Dreams

• Telepathy

• Precognition

Votes: 6 66.7%
  • Mediumship

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Seeing Light

• Dreaming about the past lives of other people

• Holographic Impressions

• Xenoglossy

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Seeing Auras

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

TheCuriousOne

Always Searching...
I had no clue how to change a poll's option, there is no option for it at all, so I deleted the old poll and I am putting in a new one.

I notice that a few people on this board seem to have "extra" abilities along with their abilities to remember past lives. I posted this poll to see just how many people have extra abilities (ie foresight)

Last edited by a moderator:
Abilities

This is a very dear subject to me. When I started my baby steps in spirituality I was a novice. All my life I was super sensitive and almost could read your mind. I could at least in-tune your mood and feelings. I now have recognized that many times I know something is about to happen, and it happens in a few seconds later.

Later, I broke off with my spiritual teacher and decided to study Hermetic philosophy and naturally followed, magic. I have studied the best, Bardonian (Franz Bardon) system and his disciples Rawn Clark, etc. It was a great eye opener to me and lead me to assume some false assumptions. I could not do any magic but many times I perceived something was about to happen and that lead me to believe my own inflated powers.

Then , imagine my horror, I was diagnosed as bipolar! ****(!), that almost finished my whole adventure into spirituality. To think I was reincarnated from a magical genius and artist was too much for me. (I still need a therapist about this)... I was now afraid of being spiritual because, now it equated to me delusional thinking and inflated ego, both tell-tales of bipolar mania. I cannot do magic, obviously I am handicapped by being bipolar but that does not mean I am not spiritual. I am a firm, (if not ardent believer) of Karma/Reincarnation and the existence and importance of the unseen. Borderline Buddhist/Hindu with accepting and honoring all faiths, including Islam. My former teacher used to say, do not get too wrapped up about phenomena and now I see how right he was! It is good if you have abilities but it does not mean you are any better than the next person, and often it is all in your head. (no offense)

I'm sure you know that some people with psychic abilities are misdiagnosed as bipolar or schizo. It's tricky because the symptoms can be similar. Psychiatrists who don't believe in psychic ability will automatically rule it out. I think many young children are misdiagnosed. Kids that talk about memories of previous lives are probably misdiagnosed also.

\ said:
It is good if you have abilities but it does not mean you are any better than the next person, and often it is all in your head. (no offense)
In general, we call them "abilities" but that doesn't mean they are extraordinary or that we who remember past lives or those who has had other experiences like astral projection (my only other ability), precognition, etc., are special. In fact one of my mottos in my own forum is: everyone can remember past lives, and I know a few persons who started to have more conscious OBE's as soon as they learned the techniques. Probably the limits are in our own minds.

Is someone better than you if he knows how to ride a bike and you don't? In my opinion, psychic "abilities" could be the norm in fifty or a hundred years, they're nothing special, it's our human nature, and in many cases these abilities are just "dormant" because or our own skepticism, education or simply lack of practice.

And no, it's not in these people's heads, btw. I don't feel offended, but there are some interesting scientific studies about ESP (extrasensorial phenomena) which show there's more to it than our own desire to believe in this kind of phenomena or our desire to be "special". If some people, mentally handicapped, can become unbalanced when they learn about this phenomena or practice some of the techniques, we can't put the blame in these, the same way we can't ask a physicallly handicapped to ride a bike, at least not one adapted for them.

It is curious that precisely those who come from "spiritual" environments use to say this is only "reserved" for certain "advanced" persons. That's why esoteric teachings were hermetic for so long, condemning human kind to ignorance and confusion. We are lucky that era is over.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is not either or argument. There is certainty that some "abilities" in some people are delusional while some diagnosis from the part of the medical establishment are also false.

I am very sure that I was not misdiagnosed and I suffer a mild form of bipolar. Having said that;

My former teacher had counselled many people in LA who were part of the TM group, after the Maharishi died and had a breakdown - some of these who were severely mentally ill. (either due to hereditary or prior drug habit). To tell this is quick, when the person notices a phenomena for example out of body experiences and does not consult someone else but instantly believes that he/she has some ability then I am very suspicious.

Also, magic and to some extent OBE is something to train and learn, if you are mentally fit, but any hint of mental illness will preclude you from learning these abilities.

At the same time, I am not keen on the medical establishment and diagnosing (and medicating) children haphazardly.

argonne1918 said:
I'm sure you know that some people with psychic abilities are misdiagnosed as bipolar or schizo. It's tricky because the symptoms can be similar. Psychiatrists who don't believe in psychic ability will automatically rule it out. I think many young children are misdiagnosed. Kids that talk about memories of previous lives are probably misdiagnosed also.

\ said:
It is good if you have abilities but it does not mean you are any better than the next person, and often it is all in your head. (no offense)
In general, we call them "abilities" but that doesn't mean they are extraordinary or that we who remember past lives or those who has had other experiences like astral projection (my only other ability), precognition, etc., are special. In fact one of my mottos in my own forum is: everyone can remember past lives, and I know a few persons who started to have more conscious OBE's as soon as they learned the techniques. Probably the limits are in our own minds.

Is someone better than you if he knows how to ride a bike and you don't? In my opinion, psychic "abilities" could be the norm in fifty or a hundred years, they're nothing special, it's our human nature, and in many cases these abilities are just "dormant" because or our own skepticism, education or simply lack of practice.

And no, it's not in these people's heads, btw. I don't feel offended, but there are some interesting scientific studies about ESP (extrasensorial phenomena) which show there's more to it than our own desire to believe in this kind of phenomena or our desire to be "special". If some people, mentally handicapped, can become unbalanced when they learn about this phenomena or practice some of the techniques, we can't put the blame in these, the same way we can't ask a physicallly handicapped to ride a bike, at least not one adapted for them.

It is curious that precisely those who come from "spiritual" environments use to say this is only "reserved" for certain "advanced" persons. That's why esoteric teachings were hermetic for so long, condemning humankind to ignorance and confusion. We are lucky that era is over.

AOSpare said:
This is not either or argument. There is certainty that some "abilities" in some people are delusional while some diagnosis from the part of the medical establishment are also false.
I am very sure that I was not misdiagnosed and I suffer a mild form of bipolar. Having said that;

Sure, I am certain you are right about this, BUT on the flip side there are many so called spiritual people who have alleged "abilities" who are severely mentally ill. (either due to hereditary or prior drug habit). To tell this is quick, when the person notices a phenomena for example out of body experiences and does not consult someone else but instantly believes that he/she has some ability then I am very suspicious.

Also, magic and to some extent OBE is something to train and learn, if you are mentally fit, but any hint of mental illness will preclude you from learning these abilities.

At the same time, I am not keen on the medical establishment and diagnosing (and medicating) children haphazardly.
I agree.

argonne1918 said:
Psychiatrists who don't believe in psychic ability will automatically rule it out. I think many young children are misdiagnosed. Kids that talk about memories of previous lives are probably misdiagnosed also.
Unfortunately, I completely agree, there's still a lot of ignorance about how our minds work, and it's quite sad and scary how easily a person can be labelled as "ill" when they are just different than the average.

\ said:
I don't know what you mean exactly with magic, from my point of view "magic" doesn't exist beyond the illusionist tricks of magicians on a stage. Everything else are real manifestations of our mind, whose powers are still not well known by science.

As for OBE's, like I said in other occasions, there's absolutely nothing special in it. You sleep, you get out of your body every night. You don't learn to have OBE's, you only learn to be aware of them. And you don't need to be mentally fit to learn. Fit or not, everyone might experience them in a given moment. The only difference between a mentally fit and an unfit is the way we interpret those experiences. If you think instantly you have been talking with demons or in Hell, yes, probably it's not advisable you try, as you have to be in control and know what you're doing, logical and rational thinking must never be forgotten. It happens the same with drugs. Many physicians have tried them to know the effects first-hand and didn't became addicts. For other people, it's not that easy and drugs can eventually kill them.

\ said:
To tell this is quick, when the person notices a phenomena for example out of body experiences and does not consult someone else but instantly believes that he/she has some ability then I am very suspicious.
Yes, consult your doctor and he will tell you you have a "disease" called sleep paralysis. Consult one of these "spiritual" charlatans and he might tell you you have been chosen to receive the message of "angels" or "beings of light", the thing is probably you will believe it and even write a book about it (I know someone who did).

No, like I said, OBE is not an ability, it's as normal as breathing, only we still see it as the blood circulation a few centuries ago, when it hadn't been explained. Unfortunately some paths have to be walked alone, as simply there's no one who knows a good deal about it and is taken seriously by most people. A part of Humanity has always to be a pioneer and sacrifice themselves for the sake of knowledge.

AOSpare said:
Of course this is true. We also have a guy in Australia saying he's the reincarnation of Jesus, but we can't judge all the reincarnation community only for this guy, who is clearly delusional and he's just becoming the leader of a sect. In Spain we've had the case of a "Shaolin monk" who was highly considered amongst Buddhists and he turned out to be a serial killer of women. But, were these people "mentally ill" before getting into this spiritual world, or they became ill as a result? Or... maybe they were perfectly aware that adopting the appearance of someone "spiritual" or with certain "abilities" they can easily use other people? Someone unstable can go unnoticed for decades, and the trigger for his "disease" to become apparent can be anything really.

I did not say go to a charlatan but someone you trust! Not all doctors or therapist are charlatans (albeit, sadly a lot of them ARE) - this is precisely why the student of the occult in the past had to seek a guru or a teacher! To separate the truth from delusion!

As for conscious, on demand "OBE is not an ability"..Hmm. I seriously disagree there! I can see an inkling of truth in that statement but as it stated it is absurd. I know while we sleep we spend sometime in the astral. But conscious, aware OBE can be learnt (as I posted) or re-learnt and it may even come to you as a "gift" (why?) but according to my research there are precious few who can actually do it. Same with Hermetic Magic, which is decidedly not cheap parlor tricks (just Google Bardon, Franz) but a potent form of mental science that encompasses, astral travel along with a myriads of other "tricks" you can study to do. The caveat is you must be of sound mind!

Eowyn said:
Yes, consult your doctor and he will tell you you have a "disease" called sleep paralysis. Consult one of these "spiritual" charlatans and he might tell you you have been chosen to receive the message of "angels" or "beings of light", the thing is probably you will believe it and even write a book about it (I know someone who did).

No, like I said, OBE is not an ability, it's as normal as breathing, only we still see it as the blood circulation a few centuries ago, when it hadn't been explained. Unfortunately some paths have to be walked alone, as simply there's no one who knows a good deal about it and is taken seriously by most people. A part of Humanity has always to be a pioneer and sacrifice themselves for the sake of knowledge.

\ said:
As for conscious, on demand "OBE is not an ability"..Hmm. I seriously disagree there! I can see an inkling of truth in that statement but as it stated it is absurd. I know while we sleep we spend sometime in the astral. But conscious, aware OBE can be learnt (as I posted) or re-learnt and it may even come to you as a "gift" (why?) but according to my research there are precious few who can actually do it.
Well, again, you seem to think everything you don't understand is absurd...

A few? Well, we've had examples here how people actually experience OBE's and they don't even know it. I had another example in my own forum of a very young girl, quite scared of it, btw, who soon learned to control it a bit better when I explained her what was happening... and no, I don't think she thought it was a "gift". And of course she wasn't a guru of any kind. Right now I've been talking with another person who is trying to have conscious OBE's, we talk about it as something natural because that is what it is.

I just wonder what criteria you are using for knowing if someone really does it or not, seeing that you haven't experienced one, as only real astral travellers know how it feels, and it's always quite difficult to explain to other people.

Certainly it seems we live in two different worlds, and I can't do anything about it while you keep thinking only "precious few" have the answers. Personally I've learned more from people posting here and other forums than from any so-called "teacher".

Oh, I understand it, don't you worry. I have met a well known Russian OBE teacher, as he wanted me to publish his book. He gave me his manuscript, I have read it. He teaches it all around the world - while there are many interested parties to hear him, those who can actually accomplish what he can are very few. (He told me about his numerous fans, and assorted, neurotic, new age camp followers were quite a nuisance.)

My criteria?

I have a keen eye to sort out the "fruits" from the "nuts"...(like me)....

Eowyn said:
Well, again, you seem to think everything you don't understand is absurd...
I just wonder what criteria you are using for knowing if someone really does it or not, seeing that you haven't experienced one, as only real astral travellers know how it feels, and it's always quite difficult to explain to other people.

Certainly it seems we live in two different worlds, and I can't do anything about it while you keep thinking only "precious few" have the answers. Personally I've learned more from people posting here and other forums than from any so-called "teacher".

I know someone who runs a blog with great, direct and simple information about OBE's, I hardly know someone who has accomplished anything like him, especially because he has been doing it for 20 years and people get easily discouraged. He doesn't need to send anyone a manuscript because he had published already a book. And he is humble enough to say he's not a guru and that there are no more secrets about it, no matter how many people are still out there saying how "dangerous" it is and that only the "chosen ones" can do it. He doesn't call his "followers" a nuisance, but answers their questions patiently, and he states very clearly he's no one's master, as the only valid master is yourself.

I don't know exactly what he has accomplished, as he is not seeking admiration and that's something that every astral traveller has to discover by himself (and I don't think anyone from the outside can judge, as AP is a highly personal and subjective experience), but all he said proved to be right when I started to have my own experiences, and he was the only one who could explain some of the things that happened to me, much better than in any book I have read, btw.

\ said:
My criteria?
I have a keen eye to sort out the "fruits" from the "nuts"...(like me)....
Yes, those are good criteria... You just choose what you want to believe and no one will make you see it differently. This is only an observation, I'm not saying you should or that I'm interested in changing your viewpoint. I need to keep my energy.

Eowyn,

Just out of curiosity, when have I ever said or posted that spirituality or having extra sensory abilities are for a "chosen few" or not available to everybody? In fact I have said/preached and insinuated exactly the opposite. Anyone can achieve bliss/nirvana, you do not need a priest a mufti or a rabbi! Ever. However to learn OBE/magical abilities etc you need a sound mind! The reason is why relatively few can learn OBE at will is because it takes a lot of practice and learning and there are unfortunately many who are attracted but less than whole in their mental faculties. This does not mean that they are any less than the next guy. IMHO, these so called special abilities are overrated and not at all important to ones happiness and peace of mind!

AOSpare said:
when have I ever said or posted that spirituality or having extra sensory abilities are for a "chosen few" or not available to everybody? In fact I have said/preached and insinuated exactly the opposite.
Sorry, maybe I misunderstood:

AOSpare said:
But conscious, aware OBE can be learnt (as I posted) or re-learnt and it may even come to you as a "gift" (why?) but according to my research there are precious few who can actually do it. Same with Hermetic Magic, which is decidedly not cheap parlor tricks
Anyway, I was talking of OBE's, not other abilities (I don't include spirituality because I don't know what you mean with that either). As usual, my experience differs: there are plenty of people who actually does it. Or someone I know wouldn't have found so easily a bunch of people (common people) to write her book about astral travel.

AOSpare said:
Anyone can achieve bliss/nirvana, you do not need a priest a mufti or a rabbi!
Do you know someone who achieved nirvana? Or that's what they told you? Because I know plenty of people who meditate but I haven't found anyone who knows what exactly nirvana is. In fact, I think learning to do conscious OBE's is quite easier than achieving nirvana.

AOSpare said:
However to learn OBE/magical abilities etc you need a sound mind!
Sound mind? Yes, that's also advisable for driving, owning weapons, even breeding certain dog races, but I'm sure there are plenty of unsound people doing all this. Why? Because everyone can do it. OBE's happen to everyone, it's natural. Some can control it, others not. Some don't even know what it is, and will call it a dream. Some can do it more easily, yes, call it a "gift" if you want, but that doesn't depend on their level of sanity. Some just are more conscious than others, and I don't think anyone knows why.

AOSpare said:
The reason is why relatively few can learn OBE at will is because it takes a lot of practice and learning and there are unfortunately many who are attracted but less than whole in their mental faculties.
No, the reason is just that they get easily discouraged, that's all (like I said before). And we live absorbed by real life, that steals a lot of your energy to use it in your conscious OBE's. You also need to detach from a lot of "human defects" which, if you take to the astral with you, can make you fail the next times. Learning OBE's mean to become more spiritual too (really spiritual, not what is commonly known by "spirituality"), and most people prefer other paths.

You keep implying that the ones with this kind of "abilities" are "special", superior or gifted, and it's me who says anyone can do it... anyone with enough will, patience and determination can learn (sound or not). None of us is trained to meditate since we are kids. Through meditation I started to have OBE's, and my intuition improved, and I even had some "paranormal" events happening to me. So, what I'm saying is that these abilities are not "special", if only we were taught to do it from school, maybe they wouldn't be so rare... and I'm also sure we'd have less children with so-called "mental illnesses", as instead of repressing them, we'd teach them how to use and understand their minds. Unfortunately, there seem to be some groups who are still interested in hiding certain techniques, maybe because through them we become more "awakened".

AOSpare said:
IMHO, these so called special abilities are overrated and not at all important to ones happiness and peace of mind!
Of course not, who says the contrary? But do we choose to remember past lives? Do we choose to have premonitions? If they're overrated it's precisely because most people think they are special and some may even get scared. Calling them "magic" adds up to that perception, don't you think?

People who achieved Nirvana: (Nirvana is perhaps ill used term to state when we cease to reincarnate involuntarily.)

The Buddha (historical figure), Jesus and so on. These are NOT people I knew in person but cases of success pretty much documented as true.

As for the rest, I can only say that, you are right - most unusual (and even some mundane) skills require dogged determination, practice and time. And as you pointed out, we also live in unusually complicated times (I think these are the Biblical end-times b.t.w.) If you chose not to believe "sound-mind" as prerequisite, that is fine. I wish you were right....

Now personally there is one ability which I have which I wish you had listed and thought to bring it to your attention. And that is Animal Communication. Wishing You the Best!

Is that done via telepathy ? I do this pretty much with my cat all day and everyday.

kmatjhwy said:
Now personally there is one ability which I have which I wish you had listed and thought to bring it to your attention. And that is Animal Communication. Wishing You the Best!

I wouldn't say that I have skills in any of the ones I checked. I've just had a few experiences that indicate I am capable of them, should I choose to practice.

One that I practice all the time is empathetic resonance, where I can feel and understand the emotions, intent, and sometimes the perspective of someone, though a real connection makes this easier (and testable). Perhaps this is considered similar to telepathy?

Mere Dreamer said:
One that I practice all the time is empathetic resonance, where I can feel and understand the emotions, intent, and sometimes the perspective of someone, though a real connection makes this easier (and testable). Perhaps this is considered similar to telepathy?
Yes, it's a psychic ability. You would be called an "Empath". Some people with this are so sensitive they can walk into a room where there is someone who has a migraine headache and then the Empath gets the migraine. You can also pick up and mirror people's moods. There are videos on YouTube about empaths and how to shield yourself.

It's fascinating to read this forum and be able to share my experiences.

I've been precognitive for as long as I can remember. I often get glimpses of future events, which later manifest in reality (it could be that same day or years later, or anything in between). They are very precise so coincidence is unlikely.

One thing I've done repeatedly was determine how long an event would take to occur. For instance when my grandmother was very ill, she thought she would die that same night; I remember thinking 'no, she will live another week' (and so she did). Before moving to this country, while making arrangements, my partner estimated he would make it happen in two or three moths. I replied that it would likely take six (for no specific reason) and so it did. Years ago, before even meeting my partner, I had a sudden vision of myself in my native town, in a park, with a blond haired boy, while his father was away in a different country; that came to pass years later (I had no plans of moving back at the time and didn't for many years after that).

Telepathy is also common for me with certain people; I had a good friend years ago and we sometimes blurted out the same thing simultaneously. I sometimes have an idea and someone in my immediate vicinity comes up with it moments later. Also, I get warnings about people instantly; I just know who will cause trouble or animosity down the line, even if we meet in neutral circumstances and they have a pleasant attitude at first.

I don't think these abilities are special; I think everyone's got them to some degree yet many don't pay attention or refuse to acknowledge anything of the sort.

Something I forgot to mention is some type of remote viewing which involves seeing through other people's eyes. It's a mental connection I suppose. It has only happened a few times that I'm aware of. I know these were not images I had seen myself as one time the person was definitely a man, walking to his car on a driveway and occasionally looking at his shoes. I was just sitting at the table and closed my eyes for a second, then connected with this guy, whoever he was. When this happens the images are in colour (my past life ones are usually in black and white or shades of brown). One time in 2009 I connected with someone who was watching an American cartoon (something about baseball). I could see the TV set, the cartoon for two minutes or so and the ending credits, but I couldn't read the names, presumably because the person wasn't focusing on them. I remember opening my eyes and looking at my room, then closing them again and the connection just went back on. It's like picking up a radio frequency; something of this sort. Quite strange and random (involuntary).

Last edited:
Back