• Thank you to Carol and Steve Bowman, the forum owners, for our new upgrade!

Feeling of not belonging?

medieval queen

Hi does anyone else get the feeling they dont belong in this world/life??, i get this horrible sense that everythings to much, overwhelming, too modern, over populated, complictated, lol i hate cars!! i want the old horse and cart/wagon back, and small local villages, not houses built upon houses lol, i feel so uncormatable in my own world!coffee

You are not alone MQ.

A lot of people feel this way. Many people feel nostalgic for other periods when things were simpler, or quieter or more exciting or loved ones that they have not met again (or sometimes have met again) or whatever it might be.

There have been various threads about this strange feeling of nostalgia and homesickness that some people feel. Here are a couple of interesting ones....

Homesick for a previous life?

What do you miss most?

Homesick

I used to be this way.. even when I was younger, I felt like I belonged more in the past then I did in the present..

It is.. but you have to be patient and also sort of view that everything you're doing now, is a learning lesson of sorts because it is new to you.

I've been through it and still am so I know it gets better :)

hi toroto so this feeling goes? because sometimes i feel anxiety and can spend a number of days hiding away in my house, because i hate the way we live now i miss the medieval times :rolleyes:

MQ,

There is a lot of good in this world too. We live in a world of wonders. Some wise words from a wise man (who few could ever experience in the past but now is only a few 'clicks' away).

'>

There is good and bad in every situation. Just relax. It will be OK. Hoping this brings a sense of calm and happiness. Don't take anything too seriously (ever).

If in doubt, there's always Johnny Depp. He always makes me feel better if I feel a bit wobbly.

'>

:)

I feel the same way...

Altho, i like the time we are living in now, since we have improved in many things.

I still feel very sad,

i feel melancholy all the time,

like i am searching for something, missing someone...

There is always a part of me, in another time and period,

perhaps i could even say, 'my heart' is in another time...

I dislike most 'modern' things too, except from photography and internet etc...

I just don't seem to fit in this time period, the way people are dressed, behave etc... its just not 'me'.

So even tho, i may seem happy at times,

my heart weeps for another time, and i'm searching and i'll keep searching.

Thats also one of the reasons why i get involved in Reenactment, to survive somehow and get less sad, to fill the gaps in my heart.

Also to be around at classical concerts, old buildings, that remind me of a certain period, makes me smile.

Oh yeah!

I secretly hope one day they invent a time machine. :D

I remember a dream i had once,

and i opened my eyes and said cover face 200+ years later!? :'(

how to get back!?

I felt terrible,

its like i was remembering how i got incarnated after years being a lost soul.

Its just terrible to know, that despite of everything,

you can't get back, to forgive people, love people, hug people you once loved, and be there...

I feel i have a lot of unsolved regrets.

and i can't go there anymore.

This is just something i'm going to carry with me for life.

Horrible feeling, but we have to go on, there is no way back, or is there?

I often wonder...

Perhaps, time does not exist, and we could travel back somehow.

it would be really cool if we could have an out of body experience were we could go back in time, to feel real familiarity, to go back to were we left of?, but then that would be cruel on the ppl we new, it would mean they couldnt move on to a new life, lol just stuck in a loop! coffee

I like philosophy about life and beyond

and sometimes i even think, life is a dream, that feels, and looks very real.

And time does not exist,

who knows... maybe time can overlap?

Maybe the people we once knew, still exist

and overlap our future...

I have no clue,

but i just have the feeling, somehow,

we could go back.

Either way, i do miss my past

and i wish i could just go back there sometime.

i know hun, and its a disheartning feeling that when this present life is over and we possible come back in a new one, that were even further away from the past life we miss, but who on earth knows such answers maybe we can choose to go back in the end? :rolleyes:

yeah, maybe...

Maybe death will be our answer.

But lets not think too much of that yet ;)

I enjoy the fact, that i'll find out more about my past in this life, and maybe even connect to it...

Love to explore, and who knows what to find.

Sometimes get thinking of this present modern world and all the rush and how much it seems am in that past world of several hundred years ago as a Native American or as some Fur Trapper living in the wilderness west here in North American. Yes I have often times have gotten so nostalgic for the past times it seems. There are many a way of this modern world guess just that is unsettling for myself. This is one reason I guess am in love with the wilderness so much. Just know so many places back in the wilds here where the area is as it has always been - wild and nice.

But maybe there will be that future life where I will feel the same with it all even being even more hectic and such. So then I will be nostolgic for this present one. So guess just get out and enjoy this present life and everything.

i have had feelings of being 'out of my time' and not belonging off and on for most of my life , especially when things aren't going well . :rolleyes:

and sometimes that i am living someone elses' life .

was in london about 30 years ago having my palm read by this old guy with bright blue eyes , he said that he was surprised that i had been born and lived in the north west of england and also that i was now living in the south east .....ahh haa ! i thought

and asked him where he thought i would belong more ,

and he replied 'somewhere around indonesia !!'

.. i have never been but have been to india a few times and dont belong there either . :cool:

I can definitely relate.. I have always felt like I don't belong, I always feel like I am different from everyone else. :confused:

I felt this way all my life.

Never really had a feeling belonged here

still. The modern world is just fast it is

also for me is becoming boring.

I would go back to the 20's not civil era no thanks.

The more I look at the world today

the more I grow cynical , disenchanted and

fatigued with it.

I am awaiting for wonder to return to me.

Maybe it's my old soul talking .

I do find writing worthwhile still and some artistic

endeavors.

bb32 said:
I can definitely relate.. I have always felt like I don't belong, I always feel like I am different from everyone else. :confused:
You are different from everyone else. Everyone is different from everyone else. :)

My feelings of being disjointed in this life are not described by those exact words.. ie not belonging.. but the same sort of stuck feeling.. Better described in my world that my body wont be accepted .. because of the pain inflicted by people in my past .. I am very sensitive about pain in particular.

Also I do have problems with a sense of belonging when it comes to work.. like I will not do a good job.. I am just doing some self help nourishment around that .

.. I do accept that people are pretty accomadating as to being dysfunctional.. ie all the people in the world have their dysfunctional ways and people generally put up with things .. And so I muddle through life with some feelings of belonging but still with some major hangups.

I did have some good lives where I developed some strong friendships and I have met enough people in this life who are in my karmic soul group .. so we all put up with our dysfunctions and love each other beyond these difficulties..

Maybe you are needing to meet some new people.. those who nurture the side of yourself you are longing to develop?

We can start to feel stuck when we are aware of things that we have signed up to develop in life.. We know on one level that we are given the opportunity to develop our soul and of course we all long to develop and find our strengths and happiness. But it can be a subconscious longing and so our minds become muddled with supressed feelings.

But we need to accept the work and take some charge of our own development. and push ourselves . Maybe just try something new and that will bring you into the path putting you in touch with people who will help you to find peace to your longings.

Welllllll ....... When I think of the past, I think of body odor and diseases. Also, infant mortality, lack of air conditioning and adequate heating, difficulty traveling even short distances, bland food, lack of upward mobility, etc.

Yes, I get feelings of nostalgia, but the overwhelming feeling I get is one of amazement at how lucky we are. Even when I was little, I used to constantly think things such as, "wow -- air conditioning is the greatest thing ever." I also remember thinking about how cool it is that whenever I get hungry, I can just eat. Modernity is a great thing.

But despite all that, I'd jump at the chance to stroll around London during the 18th century. I bet it stunk though. LOL

luling said:
But despite all that, I'd jump at the chance to stroll around London during the 18th century. I bet it stunk though. LOL
London had several epidemics that turned out to be caused by contaminated water. London may have been the first city in the world to chlorinate the city drinking water which ended the cholera epidemics. People today in the western world take safe drinking water for granted. That's only been true for less than 100 years.

want

This is the first time I have heard anyone express MY feelings. I have never been able to fully explain this feeling of "I want to go home" to anyone who could possibly understand it. My problem is I don't know where home is. I feel lost, I don't relate well to other people. That sense of being overwhelmed and the world is too much???...yes, that's me too! Tired of people thinking I am "crazy". I know I belong somewhere but it isn't here

Definitely. I think a lot of people feel this way. The world is super complicated now, even with the progress that's been made with technology and medicine and other things. It can be stressful.

The way I look at it is this-- with all the resources and opportunities we have now as opposed to yesteryear, think of all the ways we can do good in the world. Also, think how boring it would be to have nothing to do all day but wash clothes and feed chickens....

argonne1918 said:
London had several epidemics that turned out to be caused by contaminated water. London may have been the first city in the world to chlorinate the city drinking water which ended the cholera epidemics. People today in the western world take safe drinking water for granted. That's only been true for less than 100 years.
I wouldn't want to go back to that place and time at all. I think it was pretty sweaty, stinky, dirty and sad! (I picture street kids running everywhere, stepping in horse poop and raw sewage, and people in lots of heavy clothes who didn't really wash.... :( )

Ew, and Black Death... internal and external parasites.... women dying in childbirth.... ugh no thanks.

Back